Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tipping Takeaway Drivers?

Options
  • 31-08-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I get Pizza Hut Delivery quite often now and I'm feeling increasingly inclined to tip the drivers.

I'm a student so I don't have allot of money on hand and when I do its usually just enough to pay for the meal.. So I hate it when the Pizza arrives and the delivery guy does this awkward pause after he looks at the money as if to say "where the hell is my cut in this"

I have started giving them a euro or two now and then but I wonder If tips are expected to cover part of their wages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

No, I dont know about Pizza Hut but a lot of chippers and Chinese take aways drivers around my way are moonlighting. Some of them I know are on social welfare aswell, but it's not entirely their fault it's the employers that's to blame.
    Some delivery drivers I know get about €50 per night flat plus the €1 delivery charge then plus tips, on a Saturday night they could be making in excess of €100 easily for 6 or 7 hours work tax free

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hanleyc2

Tipping is totally optional, the drivers will be covered for their service by the business. Don't feel you must give a tip, but if you can afford it a euro is more than enough for a 1 person meal. I usually leave a bit of change e.g bill is 23.50, give them 25.

Most delivery drivers in my area are grateful for any tip and don't stand there awkwardly waiting for a tip, if they did I would be less likely to tip them at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In general, no, I don't tip. If it's odd change, I may say keep it, but I wouldn't tip them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I always tip and surprisingly they always look surprised and grateful so I guess it must be a good thing as they seem to appreciate it. I suspect people doing fast food deliveries do it because they really need to earn a bit of extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I do, usually about €1.50. It's just standard for me now but I'm not entirely convinced it's the way to go. I'l like to know what they average on a night. The local Indian charges €3 per delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Don't tip unless as above its odd change. Don't usually get them standing around akwardly though luckily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A lot of these work under minimum wage cash in hand and then get the delivery charge plus tips.
    We've turned into the USA with employers cutting wages and expecting the customer to make up the difference.

I pay delivery charge, that's the tip

And pizza companies that advertise free delivery think we are fools, it's worked into the price when you see the collection discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'll always tip when there's no delivery charge...but I have to say, when I see €2 delivery charge, I really don't like to give a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I don't tip most of the time.. Ill get the bill when ordering it and have near to the exact change ready for the driver..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I tip when the service I received is better than normal or better than what I expected. That's my general rule.

Whenever I do order food they tend to knock on the door, hand me my food and say the amount. No please or thank you or even a smile. To me, that doesn't warrant a tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

iv ordered from a few places in galway now and i must say the drivers are very rude when it comes to this...especially if you dont have the exact amount theyl give you the whole 'iv no change' excuse, a prime example was a chinese that amounted to 11.50, driver came and i had €15, he insisted that he had no change and that i had to give him the €15,i refused to give the money and told him that il just order from someone else, all of a sudden the guy finds his change he knew he had the whole time, imagine the amount of naive customers they take advantage of every night

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

i had an experience recently when i ordered a pizza, garlic bread and chips which came to like 17 + 2 euro delivery and when the guy came he said "22 euro please", i thought he had overcharged for the meal or something but tbh i wouldn't be surprised if that's how they get a bit of extra money off unsuspecting customers, he of course apologised when i corrected him but come on like it's not difficult to calculate

Advertisement