Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is Miwadi safe ?

• 26-01-2016 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

I dont think I am breaking the rul on the sticky about health and safety - if I am mod(s) I am very sorry and remove if you wish (but please dont ban me from boards!)

Anyway, I like the ol' Mi Wadi(no added sugar) BlackCurrant drink (you dilute it with water) - lovely taste but has it got any cancer causing ingredients/additives? - if i contact the manufactures then obviously im a gonna get a biased reply so i thought I would ask the Irish public .

The Ingredients from the label:

Sodium Citrate (?)
    sweetners: Aspartame, Acesulfame K (whatever that is!)
    Potassium Sorbate,
    Sodium Metabisulphite (??)
    Ascorbic Acid
    Contains a source of Phenylalanine (?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why trust randomers on the internet over the food safety authorities of the western world?
    So, so many things we regularly eat have cancer causing properties - it's a case of the amount we consume.
    I'm pretty sure that aspartame has been shown to cause cancer in rats but I wonder about the dose compared to what a human would typically consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aspartame doesn't cause cancer. Multiple studies have found no link between aspartame and cancer.

It's a favourite baddie of the "all natural living" idiots on facebook like that Woulfe guy because Monsanto are one of the biggest producers of aspartame in the world. So it suits their agenda to be able to say that something is evil because Monsanto does it.

My advice would be to stop worrying about everyday foods causing cancer and stick to the "everything in moderation" rule. Are you drinking 3 or 4 glasses of cordial a day? Then you're OK. Are you drinking an entire bottle of MiWadi every day? May not be a good idea.

If you're really concerned about ingredients, look at wikipedia for them. Don't look at anything else unless you are 100% sure it's a respected scientific journal and you understand what it's saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hang on here for a second!

It's not your wadi, it's MY wadi!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mod Nobody here is qualified to offer nutritional advice. I suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask for a full nutritional breakdown. If not, then perhaps a dietician or nutritionist may be best place to give you an informed answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement