Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Few Questions

• 23-05-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Since I will have a bit of money to spare, I was thinking about buying either a .22 or an air rifle. I will use it mainly for shooting rabbits and vermin in the fields around my house.

The extent of my firearms experience is clay pigeon shooting where I used a Beretta shotgun. I have also been into airsoft for quite some time and I know it's quite a bit different!

I don't have any experience with .22 rifles or air rifles and my questions are as follows:

What is the best option to go for with regards my purpose?

I presume I need a licence for both?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Both will give you plenty of trigger time for very little money but a decent air rifle will set you back a good bit more than a 22lr. Id be more leaning towards a 22 as it will give you more range and is a "real gun". Air rofles have their place but what you discribe a 22 is your man!

A 2nd hand cz could be got for €400 or less with some searching with scope and will last a lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Brand new winchester .22 with a 5shot mag and 3 ten shot mags for 300 quid iirc

'hdz

hedzball wrote: »
    Brand new winchester .22 with a 5shot mag and 3 ten shot mags for 300 quid iirc

'hdz
    Thats a great deal, where was that lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

If you don't have a gun license already you will/might have to do a competency course to get the rifle license.

You should look at a S/H .22. Plenty out there and they are a great rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

Should try Sean as i seen your from Thurles. He has a package a Puma .22 with scope and mounts and 5 shot mag and it comes threaded for €300ish i think.

• Advertisement

They are a class little rifle, got one for my oul lad in jan and cant fault it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thanks for the replies guys!

Dev - you mentioned a competency course. What does that involve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

This is where you will be brought through all safety aspects like backstops, when not to shoot, etc. I think you will be brought through basic operations of firearms.

I never had to do one as had a shotgun and rifle before they came in. Someone who has done one will be able explain it better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Erk wrote: »
    Should try Sean as i seen your from Thurles. He has a package a Puma .22 with scope and mounts and 5 shot mag and it comes threaded for €300ish i think.

I looked at the Puma ( a cheap China copy of the CZ ) but thought it was a piece of siht 2 or 3 different ones had a porblem closing the bolt at the recieiver for where the bolt handle turns down did not have enough clearnce. There is a reason why they are only €300ish.:eek::eek:

Go the extra few bob and get a CZ new or second hand and it will last you a lifetime;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Thanks for the replies guys!

Dev - you mentioned a competency course. What does that involve?

A half a day or so on a clay range should do it. Cost not sure of as the lad that did my one gave me a deal on it:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

My course took 5-6 weeks :O Every Thursday but bad weather then.. Know of a guy that comes to your house and does it there and then takes about 2-3 hours is all. is 25-35 euro i think.

Erk wrote: »
    My course took 5-6 weeks :O Every Thursday but bad weather then.. Know of a guy that comes to your house and does it there and then takes about 2-3 hours is all. is 25-35 euro i think.

jesus !!

I did mine in 45minutes for 30 quid..

there was 7 of us lol

'hdz

And with regards getting a licence, what are the requirements? Gun case, land to shoot on etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Try do a rifle specific course that has some range time, it's worth it. You'll need to have a safe installed and have land to shoot on, usually 2 farmer's permission or join a gun club if there's one in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What I will say for them, is that air rifles can be shot skywards and a .22lr cannot. I have a .22lr and my old man has a PCP air rifle. The air rifle has definitely accounted for more mags and grey crows than the .22lr

I personally think the high power multi-shot PCP rifles are a more rounded tool than a .22lr. Use around a farm yard and buildings, take shots into trees, still kill rabbits at 60 yards. Best triggers I have ever used are in air rifles too. They are generally really well balanced and weighted for standing, kneeling or sitting shots.

If majority of shooting is rabbits, the .22lr is the better tool. No question.

What does go against the air rifles is price.

Blay wrote: »
    Try do a rifle specific course that has some range time, it's worth it. You'll need to have a safe installed and have land to shoot on, usually 2 farmer's permission or join a gun club if there's one in the locality.

Any idea on the cost of a safe? Will this all be checked out by a Garda before I get a licence? I always found it funny that you have to buy the gun before you can apply for the licence.

Any idea on the cost of a safe? Will this all be checked out by a Garda before I get a licence? I always found it funny that you have to buy the gun before you can apply for the licence.

Depends how much you want to spend, but I'll say this, get as big a safe as you can afford that has good depth or you'll have to turn a scoped rifle sideways and take up loads of space. Well you don't actually buy the gun, you leave a deposit on it with a RFD and they give you a receipt for it.:)

Blay wrote: »
    Depends how much you want to spend, but I'll say this, get as big a safe as you can afford that has good depth or you'll have to turn a scoped rifle sideways and take up loads of space. Well you don't actually buy the gun, you leave a deposit on it with a RFD and they give you a receipt for it.:)

Do the bullets have to be kept in a separate room? I wouldn't mind the fact that a scoped rifle would take up room as that is all I will be keeping in the safe.

You'd easily get a safe for 100 quid and probably a little better if you watch out for second hand on the for sale section here.

There is a section on the FCA1 form asking if you meet the security requirements. So a Garda may come out and inspect the safe but even if they don't you have to meet the requirements or you'll be lying on the form, which is an offence itself.

Yeah you can buy the gun and own it, but not possess it until you get the license.

Do the bullets have to be kept in a separate room? I wouldn't mind the fact that a scoped rifle would take up room as that is all I will be keeping in the safe.

That's what I thought too...don't worry the hankering for another gun will soon take over:pac:

There's no specific regulations on the ammunition being stored with the gun to my knowledge, some people have a seperate smaller safe for their ammunition and their rifle bolts etc. and others will just keep it in the safe, once it's secure you're ok. Consider removing the bolt from the rifle though and keeping that elsewhere, just makes things more secure.

• Advertisement

Do the bullets have to be kept in a separate room?

You can be asked for additional security, if for example you live in a high crime area. So while not a standard request it's not impossible for this to be requested.

I'm only a young lad so I don't think I'll be getting another gun until at least I have my own place. Plus I decided on either a .22 or airgun to keep the noise down as we have neighbours at both sides of the house and the fields extend beyond their houses too.

I started with a .22

Then I got pissed off looking at crows

On came the 12 gauge

Then I got pissed off looking at Foxes

On came the 17hmr.

Then I got pissed off looking at goats and even more foxes!!

So I sold the hmr and looking into a centerfire..

Its never "1 gun"

'hdz

Jesus, I dread the day you get an AK :pac:

If that's the case then I will sell the .22 before getting a new gun if I ever do. Same thing I do with cars ;)

I recognise kildare17hmr from the motors forum and now I know where his username comes from :D

Jesus, I dread the day you get an AK :pac:

If that's the case then I will sell the .22 before getting a new gun if I ever do. Same thing I do with cars ;)

I recognise kildare17hmr from the motors forum and now I know where his username comes from :D

He's from Kildare and shoots a 17hmr??

At a guess? :P

You'd be surprised.. you'll take to a .22 .. Push yourself with it.. start reading trajectory charts and push yourself even more..

I remember the day fellas told me a .22 is grand 50-80 yards..

Getting handy at hold over's taking bunnys in the head/neck at 130-140 yards..

Hitting steel plates at 200, thats around a 40 inch hold :rolleyes:

There the one gun everyone should have and most keep..

Remember to apply for a moderator.. That and subs and your neighbors wont even know your about..

'hdz

Right, what's a moderator and subs? I haven't a clue about shooting lingo :o

Silencer and sub sonic ammo (doesnt break sound barrier), when used together the gun is near completely silent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Right, what's a moderator and subs? I haven't a clue about shooting lingo :o

Sorry if you know this already but from your posts, I am guessing that you don't know too much about guns.

A moderator is what they call a silencer in the movies. It's a small tube that screws onto the end of your .22 rifle and it reduces the noise from your rifle by a fair bit. (but it isn't silent, just quieter. It won't scare the animals as much.)

Subs are subsonic bullets. They travel slower than regular bullets and don't create as much noise. They are used in conjunction with moderators.

If you want a moderator, you should apply for it with your licence FAC1 form. When you get that far, come back to boards and ask for help filling it out. It's a fair lump of a form if you don't know what you are at. Also, if you want a moderator, make sure you buy a rifle that is threaded for one as this is much easier and cheaper than trying to get it threaded afterwards.

You will need the safe in advance of buying the gun too, as the Gardai might come out and look for it. Plus you will have to state on the FAC1 form that you have one, so if you don't have one and say you have, you'll be lying on the application form and that won't go down well if you are caught.

Thanks BattleCorp! I've always known what a silencer is but I never heard it referred to as a moderator. Same goes for sub sonic bullets, never heard them called subs! To me, both those words had more to do with boards.ie than guns :o

Thanks to everyone here for their help! I will be going .22 but when I will get it is another question. At least I've made a start!

2 more questions - Why can't a .22 be shot towards the sky and a rather stupid one in your eyes but why does one need a licence for a moderator?

• Advertisement

2 more questions - Why can't a .22 be shot towards the sky and a rather stupid one in your eyes but why does one need a licence for a moderator?

Well the bullet is going to come down somewhere and you have no idea what or who its going to hit when it does so always use a solid backstop.

Because they're classified as firearms in their own right, its not a licence you get, you tick the box on the FCA1 form and if you have good reason you get the 'S' on your licence:)

Advertisement