Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Romulan Warbird question ? (TNG)

Options
  • 22-08-2003 2:16pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭

why do they have a big space in the centre ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

TBH i don't know so i will prepose a few reasons

that is the way there where designed perhaps they would be too expensive to build if that space was filled in?

perhaps due to the fact that they have a different warp drive (i think theres is based on an artificial quantum singularity) that they need to have the nacelles at that distance from the vessel?

They like to have an image of power and strength, so the ship looks more impressive then it is and they wanted to give a similar shap to the bird of prey which represents the romulan system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Its possible that it would have been too expensive to run the cloaking device if the ship had been big, but they wanted their warships to be large and impressive, so they left large amounts of empty space in. Just a theory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

the romulans build their ships (or at lest did) to be impressive and huge ! you see the warbird comeing and you say to yourself "feck this im out of here" thats the basic idea

same as the fed who build ships to be works of art near perfect for their size *like the galaxy can take a warbird even though being 3 times smaller*

the klingons build them to be war weapions pure and simple

The cardys build ships to be mass produced because they need 3 gulors to beat one fed destroyer and their FAR smaller than their enemys

thats the basic idea behind them lads

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

or perhaps to hide smaller ships in there!
    Ever notice the way trek has never really had 1 man fighter ships like Bab 5 or star wars?
    But then that could be another discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    or perhaps to hide smaller ships in there!
    Ever notice the way trek has never really had 1 man fighter ships like Bab 5 or star wars?
    But then that could be another discussion.

What about the fighters from sacrifice of angels :)

• Advertisement

if they wanted to hide smaller ships they would have built a hanger :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Xithus
    What about the fighters from sacrifice of angels :)

Aye i think i recall from somewhere one or possibley two man fighter craft being used, i suppose it depends on the universe though if no one else is using them and they give no real tactical advantage whats the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I seem to remember the hydrans(?) having them in starfleet command, but noone else did

The akira class holds a few fighter craft in its hanger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

The Romulans are the masters of psychological warfare.
    The D'deridex Class Warbirds are a physical representation of that.
    It is big and scary and it can appear from behind you.
    They out gun a galaxy class Federation ship, but shield emitters and a manuvering trusters are inferior to Fedration design.

On the other hand the Valdore class Warbird (seen in Nemisis) out classes all classes of Federation Ships in; weapons, shields, cloak and tactical manuvrability. It is only half the size of a D'deridex and has no empty space, but looks far more sinister.

• Advertisement

Dont think the valdour out class the Sovy Difent etc the valdour seems to weak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    why do they have a big space in the centre ?

Romulan Warbirds are powered by a micro singularity.

My guess was this was at the centre of this space and the ship drew power from it or somehow had something to do with the singularity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

No the singularity is internal. It cas the cause of all the problems in "Times Past"? I think was the name of the THG episode where the Enterprize is caught in a time eddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

might make it a less of a target when its shields are down ! or it use's the space to generate its shields better and effecently :rolleyes:

might make it a less of a target when its shields are down ! or it use's the space to generate its shields better and effecently

Not with a big 84 deck tall head and tail area on it .............Plus smaller sheilds = better not the other way around .

The romulan warbird was a bad design pure and simple thats why it did so bad in the ds9 war and why its being phased out in favour of the valdour

Advertisement