Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Fox Zero

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can't wait, been a while since we've seen anything new in the franchise, and the concept of on rails shooter has kind of been left behind, especially this kind of game.
    It'll be interesting to see how it plays on the WiiU, seeing as it's amongst the last AAA releases on the format you'd hope that extra care will be taken to ensure its perfect.
    Probably need to buy a Fox McCloud Amiibo now, before they're all gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

As if this game isn't already a big enough disaster, rumours are that it's now been delayed until July.

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1170656

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

sligeach wrote: »
    As if this game isn't already a big enough disaster, rumours are that it's now been delayed until July.

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1170656

Disappointing IF it gets pushed back again but it's hardly been a disaster in any shape or form, the last footage released looked very good and worst comes to worst it being delayed, it's just going to be improved and with Platinum on board it'll be certainly well polished.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, this is probably going to be unsurprising but still a lot of fun.
    Pity it's delayed though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Is it confirmed to be delayed? If so I'll be a little disappointed as it's one of the three must buy games I had over the next few months, but rather they do it right than fudge it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Platinum Games know how to make action games. I'm more happy about this announcement than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Is it just me or are the graphics still pretty bad on this footage? Everyone is saying it looks better but to me it still looks mediocre at best.

I think the Star Fox games never looked the prettiest, barring Starfox Adventures, which looked amazing.
    Contrarily, Star Fox games have always been great to play, and Starfox Adventures felt derivative and boring at times.
    It'll be down to the control scheme; if that's spot on, or at least gives us the option of using motion controls or not, Starfox Zero will be a blast.
    A bit like Legend of Zelda, you expect the base elements of the game to stay the same, weapons, levels types, Slippy getting in sh1te, Falco being a pain, all elements of a successful Starfox experience.
    And with Platinum on board, this can only be excellent news, in terms of the product we were getting and this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

So the better it looks the worse it is and vise versa. So let's hope this looks terrible so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't think I've played a Starfox since the N64, and since that and the SNES games were pretty short, how long do you think this one will be? Being too long could risk it getting repetitive, which explains the different vehicles.

Well, hard to make folk happy then, do we want a longer game where the on rails gameplay gets tiring, do we want to see the gameplay broken up into vehicle specific chapters? And combine that with all range mode sequences as well.
    I think it's more likely to be the latter, and offer up blockbuster moments along the way.
    That's how the N64 game worked and I don't imagine this one is going to be any different at all, and that's a good thing.
    Some new vehicles, the new aiming mode, new planets to blow stuff up on, and be blown up on.
    All good.
    But, I'm not sure it'll be €70 good....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, hard to make folk happy then, do we want a longer game where the on rails gameplay gets tiring, do we want to see the gameplay broken up into vehicle specific chapters? And combine that with all range mode sequences as well.
    I think it's more likely to be the latter, and offer up blockbuster moments along the way.
    That's how the N64 game worked and I don't imagine this one is going to be any different at all, and that's a good thing.
    Some new vehicles, the new aiming mode, new planets to blow stuff up on, and be blown up on.
    All good.
    But, I'm not sure it'll be €70 good....

Sure when was the last time a standard nintendo game was 70 quid? I'll pay 50 at the most.

For anyone looking to pre-order it, you can get it for £26.86 from The Game Collection using the discount code GRATEFUL10

http://www.thegamecollection.net/star-fox-zero-wii-u.html

Star Fox games are very short. The replayability of the levels for the highest score or alternate route is what's supposed to give it some legs. That will not entice me. It needs online multiplayer(which I'm certain it'll now have) along with leaderboards. I remain very skeptical about this game, I think it's had a very bad development path. The delays will help but it may be like trying to pimp a Fiat Multipla, it's still a Multipla at its core. We came so close to getting this at Christmas instead of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. Miyamoto's involvement and it being his creation is probably what saved it.

EJ22 wrote: »
    For anyone looking to pre-order it, you can get it for £26.86 from The Game Collection using the discount code GRATEFUL10

http://www.thegamecollection.net/star-fox-zero-wii-u.html

I tried that code last night and this morning but it didn't work. Must be expired. I would have pre ordered it at that price despite my reservations. You can be sure there'll be an amiibo bundle. I think the game is some way off release as it hasn't been announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is that legit?
    Seems a bit too cheap...

I'll be getting this game on release so if this is real, then I'll pull the trigger.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is that legit?
    Seems a bit too cheap...

I'll be getting this game on release so if this is real, then I'll pull the trigger.

The website is legit, they're very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Nice one.
    I just hope if I order it now, they won't come out with a premium pack of some sorts with a fancy included Amiibo and a digital eShop download of the N64 version! :o

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Nice one.
    I just hope if I order it now, they won't come out with a premium pack of some sorts with a fancy included Amiibo and a digital eShop download of the N64 version! :o

Now you've mentioned it they are almost certain to pack it with a book, posters, Amiibo, soundtrack, download codes..... except the one you've preordered!

Edit: Dammit, just ordered it, came to about €35, so happy with that.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now you've mentioned it they are almost certain to pack it with a book, posters, Amiibo, soundtrack, download codes..... except the one you've preordered!

Edit: Dammit, just ordered it, came to about €35, so happy with that.

How did you do that? The code was expired.

How did you do that? The code was expired.

Not expired, worked just fine for me.
    And now I just have to wait two months before some flying and blasting loveliness arrives!

This was reconfirmed for April in the US, hope it doesn't delayed here for some silly reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

****s sake. I know its that thing about delays being good in the long run, but it kills all the hype/positive feelings towards a game with constant delays and hearing negative things about the development.

Really hope this doesn't end up being true as i've been looking forward to this game for too long. If it gets delayed I may just cancel my pre-order and get pokken tournament instead

Rumour: Star Fox Zero Facing Development Niggles, Another Delay Could Happen
    get?url=http%3A%2F%2Freplygif.net%2Fi%2F1418.gif&key=y1YJ9Bm4AMHiF9tR_HYekg&w=600&h=180

Surprised this is only coming to light now. I heard these rumours about a month ago. This game has been a disaster since day one and I partly blame Miyamoto. He's on some personal mission to shoehorn the gamepad into a game in a meaningful way before the Wii U dies. He was heavily involved in designing the gamepad but hasn't shown it being used in a meaningful way. It's why he's been tinkering around in the background with those Project games. Perhaps he sees it as some personal failure if the Wii U comes and goes with no proper use. Miyamoto said back in June that the controls were complex and took a couple of days to get used to. That right there is a problem and a major one.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/shigeru_miyamoto_defends_star_fox_zeros_controls

You heard? You mean you read it on some internet forum somewhere. It also hasn't just come to light, there was a report last week about particular parts of the game have taken longer to implement.

Another delay would be disappointing though, although hard to lay blame on anyone when we know miniscule details about it and with different elements being rumoured to have caused the delay, not just the controls.

Edit: Re-reading the article it is basically just putting quotation marks on reports from the last while. Nintendolife have gone to crap the last year or so with their filler articles.

Corholio wrote: »
    You heard? You mean you read it on some internet forum somewhere. It also hasn't just come to light, there was a report last week about particular parts of the game have taken longer to implement.

Another delay would be disappointing though, although hard to lay blame on anyone when we know miniscule details about it and with different elements being rumoured to have caused the delay, not just the controls.

Edit: Re-reading the article it is basically just putting quotation marks on reports from the last while. Nintendolife have gone to crap the last year or so with their filler articles.
    get?url=http%3A%2F%2Freplygif.net%2Fi%2F1418.gif&key=y1YJ9Bm4AMHiF9tR_HYekg&w=600&h=180

Talk about pedantic.

I disagree, I find Nintendolife to be a very good site, where you're not as shackled about expressing an opinion and there's good discussions.

• Advertisement

Talk about pedantic.

I disagree, I find Nintendolife to be a very good site, where you're not as shackled about expressing an opinion and there's good discussions.

It wasn't pedantic, it wasn't about the term you used. It was about that 'knowing' it a month ago was some form of semi-boast.

I don't use any forums they have so can't comment on that but I can't recall any Nintendo site that there's not good discussions on or some short of shackling. Their articles have gone very poor. Sometimes whole articles that end like ....now this probably is a unsubstantiated rumour....', knowing full well that's exactly what it is and even stretching it out to another one with the same topic. But saying that, a lot of video game sites have turned into that.

Advertisement