Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Listowel Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I agree with cherry tree, it is very sad to see this very old established drapery business closing its doors, my own particular memory is, at a very young age looking for a pair of kerry team football stockings, my pleading of the mother seemed to be getting me nowhere, when who arrived to the house, but an uncle in law of my mothers, home from the States, I remember a booming voice, " what does the guy want" football socks, he was told, " come on, lets get them" , we went down to Tommy Buckleys as Moriartys was known as then, and the socks were bought for five shillings. For days after the socks were worn in our evening matches in the old school lawn field, (where the boys school is built) after which we would wash our hands and legs at the fountain at the foot of Ballygologue.
    Returning home one evening in the dark, one of the socks was gone. Despite much searching, it was never again found. Always resourceful, my mother knitted another, even though it was worn, if never felt the same. Is it any wonder I never made the Kerry team.
    Memories, Memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Recognising the end of a significant presence in Listowel.

http://www.presentationsistersunion.org/news/view_article.cfm?id=872&loadref=16

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Jimmy,
    Do for Listowel what Collins did for Abbeyfeale and Spring did for Tralee,
    The North Kerry area needs you to pull out all the stops.
    Congratulations!

I think that we can rest assured that Jimmy will not be found wanting when he will be batting on behalf of North Kerry/ West Limerick, I would say that he will be as dogged as a Minister as he was in his days playing in the green and gold of Kerry, ask J.B.M. of Cork, not an inch. but for Jimmy's broken ankle in 1981 I doubt if Sheamus Darby would be doing his little jig at the Railway end. Up Finuge!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

I too am delighted for Jimmy Deenihan. He well deserves his promotion. BUT we voted out the old regime because of this thing of looking after your own backyard first and foremost.

We now have a minister who comes FROM Kerry not a minister FOR Kerry. I'm sure that Jimmy will continue to be the same good TD for the constituency that he has always been and that he will be an excellent Minister for Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs for the whole country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

boroman wrote: »
    I think that we can rest assured that Jimmy will not be found wanting when he will be batting on behalf of North Kerry/ West Limerick, I would say that he will be as dogged as a Minister as he was in his days playing in the green and gold of Kerry, ask J.B.M. of Cork, not an inch. but for Jimmy's broken ankle in 1981 I doubt if Sheamus Darby would be doing his little jig at the Railway end. Up Finuge!
    I too am delighted for Jimmy Deenihan. He well deserves his promotion. BUT we voted out the old regime because of this thing of looking after your own backyard first and foremost.

We now have a minister who comes FROM Kerry not a minister FOR Kerry. I'm sure that Jimmy will continue to be the same good TD for the constituency that he has always been and that he will be an excellent Minister for Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs for the whole country.

Okay, spill the beans. What's he actually done so far?

Church newsletter

My,oh My, are we not getting touchy, well as the man is not here to defend himself, there are a few little things off the top of my head which I can think of, and which he does in a volountary capacity.

One of the main fundraisers and current Chairman of the Lartigue Railway Committee.

One of the main fundraisers and committee member of the Kerry Literary
    Centre.

Driving force behind the current fundraising drive for Teach Siamhsa in Finuge, the recent concert which he organised in Dublin raised a lot of money, 800 attending.

Brainchild for the recent production The River Feale, From Source to Sea.

And that from me, not known as a blueshirt supporter, (I loaned him my vote this past election) however I admire Jimmy and would like to give him credit for the work and time which he puts into any endeavour he gets involved in.

I wish Jimmy much success as Minister during his time in office.

Up Finuge! and the Emmets.

My,oh My, are we not getting touchy, well as the man is not here to defend himself, there are a few little things off the top of my head which I can think of, and which he does in a volountary capacity.

One of the main fundraisers and current Chairman of the Lartigue Railway Committee.

One of the main fundraisers and committee member of the Kerry Literary
    Centre.

Driving force behind the current fundraising drive for Teach Siamhsa in Finuge, the recent concert which he organised in Dublin raised a lot of money, 800 attending.

Brainchild for the recent production The River Feale, From Source to Sea.

And that from me, not known as a blueshirt supporter, (I loaned him my vote this past election) however I admire Jimmy and would like to give him credit for the work and time which he puts into any endeavour he gets involved in.

I wish Jimmy much success as Minister during his time in office.

Up Finuge! and the Emmets.

That's small fry. Do you think he might get us Listowel International Airport, or a Toyota Car factory employing 20,000 people?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Like Boroman, I like Jimmy Deenihan too. He is very popular in N. Kerry and is known for his personal integrity. I think he will try his best for N. Kerry/ W. Limerick, but not to the detriment of the country. Anyone that ever marked him on the field will tell you that he was no joke and he'll be the same as a minister. Good luck to him.

• Advertisement

Now, ejmaztec seems like a man with inspiring idea's, it's not too late yet to throw in his lot and have a go for the Senate, if he got in, he could form a technical group with others of like mind,especially from the just formed 'pie in the sky' grouping. I would respectfully suggest that along with the airport and car factory idea's which he has come up with, he could involve himself in negotations for quarry rights on Jupiter and the creation of a wild life theme park on the Moon, that should keep him busy and out of harms way for a while, and let the bould Jimmy get on with his business, and his job of getting the country moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

I see that Brian McGuire is named as corner back for Kerry against Galway tomorrow. Congrats and the best of luck.

Sean wight, the first player to be recruited from Gaelic football by an AFL club, is undergoing chemotherapy in Australia after learning that he has cancer, WRITES Daragh O ConchUir.
    Kerryman Wight was a long-time clubmate of Jim Stynes , who has had his own battle with cancer in the past two years and is supporting Wight. "Who would have thought he'd end up basically like me," said Stynes. "I was shocked. I just couldn't believe it. I thought to myself, 'This just can't be happening'."
    Born in Glasgow, Wight quickly took to football when his family moved to Kerry (Listowel) and was on the county minor team that reached the All-Ireland the High-fetching midfielder impressed the watching Melbourne <h coach Ron Barassie, who offered the youngster a shot at the VFL (the precursor to the AFL).
    The 46-year-old is a member of Melbourne's Hall of Fame and was named as one of the 150 'Heroes of the club' during its 150th anniversary celebrations.

I was very shocked to hear of Sean Wight's health news, have been in touch with his aunt and she told me that Sean's mother is out in Australia for the past number of weeks with him.
    He called to me when he was at home here in Listowel last August, at that time he was as fit as a fiddle.
    I was over the Listowel minor team the year Sean played with Kerry and would have taken him into trials early in the year, for one who only started playing Gaelic when at St. Michaels, he came a long way very fast. I can recall that such was his total commitment and dominance at midfield at each trial that he rarely had to spend longer than 10 minutes on the field when the selectors would call him ashore.
    He was having a great game in the All Ireland against Dublin when he was injured, getting a bad blow to the nose, unfortunately, Dublin won. However his prowess had been noted by Ron Brasassi who was then head coach to Melbourne Football club, after the All Ireland, Sean was invited out to have a look around, and for evalution. During this time he had a part time job in a sweet factory belonging to one of the football club people, while there, he realised that he had breathing problems, after having it checked out. they found that it was the result of a broken nose which occured in the All Ireland ,which had not been moitored and had set badly. He was hospitalised, and the nose was reset, before he came back to Listowel for Christmas, prior to taking up his contract in the new year.
    A memory is of a picture from Gael Sport, of Sean way up in the air, outfielding friend and foe alike, a caption at top of the page, Wright up high, and at the bottom of the page, upside down, were the words, for down under.
    Sean is a fighter,I hope and am sure that he will beat this illness. Good luck to him.

Now, ejmaztec seems like a man with inspiring idea's, it's not too late yet to throw in his lot and have a go for the Senate, if he got in, he could form a technical group with others of like mind,especially from the just formed 'pie in the sky' grouping. I would respectfully suggest that along with the airport and car factory idea's which he has come up with, he could involve himself in negotations for quarry rights on Jupiter and the creation of a wild life theme park on the Moon, that should keep him busy and out of harms way for a while, and let the bould Jimmy get on with his business, and his job of getting the country moving.

I wouldn’t get elected unfortunately, as I’m not a member of the GAA, nor am I related to a 1922 politician, so without any of my brilliant ideas having a hope in hell of ever getting off the ground, I'm just going to have to sit in the background and engage in equal amounts of sarcasm and cynicism, and from time to time, poke someone with a stick.:p

As things stand, there’s probably more chance of us getting a good deal on Jupiter’s mineral rights, than there is of any progress being made here. The Lunar Wildlife Park is a great idea, and I’m thinking that there may be quite a few North Kerry dinosaurs on the first shuttle out.:D

I look forward to the GAA finally getting the country moving.:pac:

We have had the best St.Patricks Day ever in the town, our parade was the most colourful and there was lashings of music. We had a 40 member brass band from Poland along with the two school bands.
    The days only downturn was when we got news of the death of Elenor Scanlan. She will be waked at O'Carrolls funeral home tomorrow evening from 4pm until 6pm, afterwards to the church, funeral Mass, Saturday at 11:30. R.I.P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So hannon reckons he was a high flyer does he,high notions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 perrylane

http://stpatrick.perrylane.org

Here are over 450 photos taken in Listowel on St Patricks day 2011.

I think the colour and atmosphere of the day was captured in this collection

contact paulwoods@perrylane.org

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Humorous poetry reading in Listowel 8th of April in aid of Crumlin Children's Hospital:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056214106

• Registered Users Posts: 10 drmccoy

Im from Listowel ask me anything about and I should know it.Born and raised there right in the heart of town.

Is it true, boroman is about to abdicate, resign, retire or be sacked ?
    "the king is dead, long live the king"

I have just looked at the thread and I think there is a possibility of an interesting challenge between the last two posts.

Who knows more about Listowel?

Because I am only a blow in I would not be in the position to adjudicate but I am sure many of you would be able to judge.

If each protagonist put forward their question about Listowel both the questions and the answers would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

I have just looked at the thread and I think there is a possibility of an interesting challenge between the last two posts.

Who knows more about Listowel?

Because I am only a blow in I would not be in the position to adjudicate but I am sure many of you would be able to judge.

If each protagonist put forward their question about Listowel both the questions and the answers would be interesting.

Who put the figs in the fig rolls?
    All jokes aside, this is a very brave challenge.
    Awaiting the next post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

drmccoy wrote: »
    Im from Listowel ask me anything about and I should know it.Born and raised there right in the heart of town.
    How many chimney pots on the lartigue building?

Who's got the most cash in their mattress?

LIstowel Strollers in conjunction with Writers Week will be leading a series of walks, of historical, literary, architectural and natural interest for the duration of the festival this year.

Thursday, June 2nd, a stroll around Sandes bog (Sive walk).

Friday, JUNE 3rd, a literary and architectural tour of the streets and
    cemetary.
    Saturday, June 4th, a journey back in time to the Lartigue Railway and
    museum.
    Sunday, June 5th, Feale river walk and a visit to the Garden of Europe.

Assemble at the Listowel Arms, tours leave at 11 o clock sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 drmccoy

Kerry people are too cute to have their money in the mattress its well hidden else where,Im not going to tell, you putting ideas in your head.

• Advertisement

drmccoy wrote: »
    Kerry people are too cute to have their money in the mattress its well hidden else where,Im not going to tell, you putting ideas in your head.

I thought you were going to spill the beans and I'm very disappointed.:(

Advertisement