Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCD irritations... ie first world problems! (See Mod Note, 1st post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Mature students who put themselves on a pedestal because they are supposedly older. Hence, they believe they are entitled to say to the lecturer that the other students are talking too loudly, and hence, they can't hear what the lecturer is saying.

Certain residential assistants who are totally useless (in particular those who can't see the difference between a package and an enveloppe haha).

Residences regulations for after 22.00 entries.

The whole UCD Ball wristbands disaster last year two days before the UCD Ball. What was the point of getting wristbands two days before the Ball ?! Plus, we had to get a new one everyday. Totally pointless. UCD totally went over the top, so messy. The whole UCD Ball security regulations was just ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It also annoys me that there is no close Lidl or Aldi to UCD. For those staying on campus, it's a bit expensive to shop in Centra or Tesco all the time. The nearest Lidl (Dundrum) is a 25 min. walk away and the nearest Aldi is a 45 min. walk away (Rathmines - there's also a Tesco, Lidl and I think a Dunnes here too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

...Ok, seriously people. This thread is not for starting interesting debates, it is for ranting about **** that annoys you. I'm going to start handing out infractions if people keep replying to posts with "Ah, it's not that bad", "God you're an awful whinger", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 calzini

Lab reports. Enough said.

Not being allowed guests over after 10pm. Especially guests that do actually live on campus, just not the same residence. It used to be midnight - midnight is a reasonable time, 10pm is not. I don't think wanting to have 2/3 friends over on a Sunday night for pizza when we get up is ridiculous. Also, having to let them out at the gate with my student card if it's after 10pm? Sorry, but what are security going to do? Keep them there all night because they don't have a merville-programmed card? They're leaving, surely that's preferable to them just going back up to my apartment for the night? So so annoying.

Having all my lectures in a classroom where the projection screen is slightly lower than all the seats (which are all on the same level bar 2 rows) so you can't see anything past the person in front of you >:( who thought that was a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It also annoys me that there is no close Lidl or Aldi to UCD. For those staying on campus, it's a bit expensive to shop in Centra or Tesco all the time. The nearest Lidl (Dundrum) is a 25 min. walk away and the nearest Aldi is a 45 min. walk away (Rathmines - there's also a Tesco, Lidl and I think a Dunnes here too).

The deals are there in Tesco, you just need to look. I assure you that Tesco is on par with Lidl and Aldi when you prey on their deals, if not cheaper in some instances.

Another 1st world concern today; the lack of covered, outdoor seating around campus. It is ridiculous how there are hardly any places to sit outside and be sheltered. Outside the JJ library, up against the wall there (where the grate runs along up to the book shop) there could be a bench to sit on. All that open area between Arts and Tierney should have covered seating instead of just gravel, that gravel area with the big pot plants just before the lake in between the JJ library and the Arts building should have some covered seating also. At least on wet days you should still be able to sit outside and be covered!

The posters should be banned from campus, they are just littering the place. TV screens could be put up in designated areas and societies can advertise on the screens instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

All the students. Yeeugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'm satisfied with pretty much everything except the prices for food and drink in most places including the student bar. Also Blackboard could be made easier to navigate, although I feel the onus is on lecturers to make this happen. Some of my lecturers have made it very easy to work through folders and find materials, while others have documents all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Stasya_x

The lack of coke on campus. I used to think I liked pepsi max. I now realise I do not thanks to UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I hate the people who write in library books and screw them up, or even worse- then have conversations through a book and write the most retarded things. At least the former can sometimes be useful, having fights through a book is just plain pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BarneyTrouble

I really cant believe nobody has yet mentioned the parking or lack thereof!

8.50 Parking everywhere
    9.05 No parking anywhere????

The ****ty public transport to the largest university in the country?
    Why no rail or luas spur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

The printing change over is doing my nut in! Why can't they just do it all in one swoop over a weekend when it's quiet? There's not actual working card top up stations at the moment in the libaray as far as I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

A certain history lecturer who wouldn't put notes on BlackBoard because he was afraid of his intellectual property being stolen.

History tutors who never studied the particular module they're teaching.

The distance of the college from the city centre and the need to travel to the city centre first to get any kind of transport to the college.

The fact that the college is in D4 and most accommodation is extremely expensive.
    (I payed 400e a month for a box room, a friend in Letterkenny payed 360 a month for a 2 bed house)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

People stopping randomly to chat to their friends on the staircases really piss me off, especially when they give you the death stare for bumping into them...

triseke wrote: »
    People stopping randomly to chat to their friends on the staircases really piss me off, especially when they give you the death stare for bumping into them...

+1 to this, so annoying.

Working in a bar though I am used to pushing past people who are blocking me so almost unintentionally I find myself ushering them out of my way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Canvassers for Mary Davis outside the Arts Block a couple weeks back :eek: Surely this isn't allowed on campus? One of the children of the corn moved into my path to block me off at the steps, pure chugger tactics, as I was running to a lecture. Left the ****er a little less earnest to do it again.

UCD managed to double the security on campus and yet closed most of the services desks, closed the Trap and short-staffed essential services like the programme office. The level of security is completely needless btw, we didn't have any of the Pulse SS around in my first year or two in the college and got along just fine. Treat students like animals and they tend to act like animals.

Any chance they'd buy a couple of toilet seats for the lads jacks under the library? Be kinda handy after 3 years. (The new toilets by in the basement of the arts block are amazing to be fair)

Mature students over the age of 40 in undergraduate lectures, especially the freshers who pick 3rd year modules and completely ruin our tutorials with declarative statements posed as questions. Oh, and ESPECIALLY the ones in sociology tutorials who start off with ''Well, I disagree - as a mother...''

Extra points to the one in my Foucault lecture at the beginning of the year. Bit of background - Foucault engaged in gay sex but didn't consider himself a homoseuxal.

People are obviously a bit incredulous and there's a bit of laugher. Lecturer (in Th.M - 300 odd people) gives the analogy ''Well if you bake a cake does that make you a baker?''

Brazen menopausal wagon at the back shouts down from the top of the hall

''Well that's completely wrong as an analogy. A baker is an occupation, whereas homosexuality is a mental condition''

Cue 300 odd people turning slowly around to stare her out of it. The lecturer was absolutely flabbergasted - first ''question'' I've heard asked in a lecture hall of that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Fantastic rant Jim. On the toilet point, the ones in daedalus were a disgrace today. Are people incapable of pissing in the bowl instead of all over the seat and floor? You'd swear someone ran in mid piss thinking the cubicle was on fire and tried to put it out, it was everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Fantastic rant Jim. On the toilet point, the ones in daedalus were a disgrace today. Are people incapable of pissing in the bowl instead of all over the seat and floor? You'd swear someone ran in mid piss thinking the cubicle was on fire and tried to put it out, it was everywhere.

And once again Piss Out Fire Man was lambasted for saving the day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I really can't understand certain foreign students who come to UCD to learn English, and all the while insist on only hanging out with people who speak their mothertongue and refuse to practice outside of the bare necessity of college work. If you're going to pay all that money to come here with a specific aim, the least they could do is make an effort. Particularly annoying with some of the Spanish students who hang out in hoards screaming at each other :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

How each year you overhear some sap of a first year talking about the tunnels behind the lecture theatres in the Arts Block as if they're the first people in the world ever to discover them.

How each year his douche of a friend answers by claiming he discovered a secret entrance to the tunnels when wandering around drunk and spent the night exploring the super cool subterranean campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

dyl10 & jimi, I've deleted your posts. Count yourself lucky I'm too drunk to be arsed infracting you.

Ontopic: The fact that my smartphone tells me about reported posts when I'm busily trying to get quagmired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

RA's on massive power trips. I thought security can be bad but two of the RA's in particular make Pulse look cute and cuddly. FFS, does having 8 people in a house without any music neccessitate a fine?

internet-memes-first-world-problems-but-i-already-have-the-iphone3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Mods who delete my posts for absolutely no reason.

^ Also his, I wanted to buy that.
    AND Steve Jobs died, sh!t week for technology :\

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shane L

Doubling security...I don't get it.They walk about all day with nothing to do and sometimes I get asked random questions like where am I off to or something along those lines.I honestly think they are just so bored and there was never any trouble last year all that was required was the jeep going around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Doubling security but cutting back on all other services. FFS, having a manned service desk in arts is surely more important than having an extra jeep driving around at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

smurfit librarys opening hours. for a library designed mainly for postgrads who need to be studying all year round its not open on sundays and closes early some nights during the week. pretty annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

The clocks in the Health Sciences Lec theaters.... 3 clocks, 3 different times, 70 difference minutes between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

1. The lovely individuals who like to throw snowballs at people entering/exiting the library (managed to land one into my bag alongside my laptop-that was greatly appreciated, thanks!)

2. The lovely individuals who think it is nice to throw bottles at you when you are coming home from the library, while they are heading out.

3. Putting in a maintenance request form in residences and never getting what you requested done, and then being charged for it from your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I know it's been mentioned but Windows 7 on the SUAS computers.

I thought I was gonna graduate before it logged me in today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thimbleking

That stupid contemplation room in Quinn is pointless, and its pointlessness annoys me.

Advertisement