Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E52 (Symbian S60 3.2) Free Applications

• 28-12-2009 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a good spot for freeware or opensource applications for the Nokia E52 (Symbian S60 3.2 platform)??

Particularly interested in apps that can be used to edit MS Excel files, not just read. Also any GPS apps that can handle Google Maps.

Also interested in an anti-virus, and other handy apps that might be freely available. Looked around the web but couldn't find any decent repositories that weren't looking to charge.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

What do you mean? Google maps app works fine on e72, why wouldn't it work on e52? Why would you need another application?

As to editing MS docs: afaik, you'll have to bite the bullet. No freeware for that I'm aware of... Check handango maybe as they may have sth a bit cheaper than quickoffice?!?

For the rest: just google 'symbian freeware'. Most s60 3rd apps should work on e52...FP1 or 2.

PS
    still puzzled re. the maps query... Why not Nokia's Ovi maps? Advantage: you can transfer all maps via PC, so you don't need to download maps via phone as you go along!?!!!

Also: google UCPlayer: excellent vid player for s60...free and plays avi etc etc

do not bother with antivirus! Waste of RAM! Problem with phones are generally dodgy texts/mails. I'm online via phone 3-5 hrs a day...for years now. NO need for antivirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Go to www.ovi.com (nokia site). You will find plently of free apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Have a look here Symbian-Freak

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

strecker wrote: »
    What do you mean? Google maps app works fine on e72, why wouldn't it work on e52? Why would you need another application?

As to editing MS docs: afaik, you'll have to bite the bullet. No freeware for that I'm aware of... Check handango maybe as they may have sth a bit cheaper than quickoffice?!?

For the rest: just google 'symbian freeware'. Most s60 3rd apps should work on e52...FP1 or 2.
    PS
    still puzzled re. the maps query... Why not Nokia's Ovi maps? Advantage: you can transfer all maps via PC, so you don't need to download maps via phone as you go along!?!!!

Also: google UCPlayer: excellent vid player for s60...free and plays avi etc etc

do not bother with antivirus! Waste of RAM! Problem with phones are generally dodgy texts/mails. I'm online via phone 3-5 hrs a day...for years now. NO need for antivirus.

Didn't realise there was an official s60 Google Maps app. This the one you are referring to: http://www.getjar.com/mobile/15897/google-maps-mobile-featuring-latitude-for-nokia-e52/

I was thinking about something like mgmaps, but the interface on that is annoying. AFAIK you have to pay to use Ovi maps? Looking for an app that I can use for free.

Any other suggestions on other good handy free apps? Has anyone got any experience with Quick Office? Is it worth getting?

• Advertisement

Didn't realise there was an official s60 Google Maps app. This the one you are referring to: http://www.getjar.com/mobile/15897/google-maps-mobile-featuring-latitude-for-nokia-e52/

I was thinking about something like mgmaps, but the interface on that is annoying. AFAIK you have to pay to use Ovi maps? Looking for an app that I can use for free.

Any other suggestions on other good handy free apps? Has anyone got any experience with Quick Office? Is it worth getting?

Ovi maps, like Nokia maps, is free. You only have to pay for voice guidance. All maps can be downloaded to phone via pc... for free,

Quick office is fairly good. There are better products, but they cost even more...

Handango is a good place to search software, and to get trial versions. I'm not saying Handango is good to buy! But 4 trying stuff, they are pretty decent (in my opinion it's always best to buy software from the makers! Support is generally better; getting new license keys in case of phone change etc etc).

Also, Handango is better for searching apps than the awful Ovi store. Although at least Ovi lets you search for free programs...

Btw, how's the sound on the e52? My e72 blows me away! using the same sennheisers on my e72 and my lady's iPhone 3G S I would prefer the e72 for more volume and depth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Btw, how's the sound on the e52? My e72 blows me away! using the same sennheisers on my e72 and my lady's iPhone 3G S I would prefer the e72 for more volume and depth...

Sound is fine as far I'm concerned, but I'm not exactly an audiophile in the true sense of the word by any means. Especially in relation to mobile devices anyway. What Sennheisers are you using? I've a few decent enough pairs for around the house listening but I should really invest in a handy enough pair for this (handy as in cheap but decent).

Advertisement