Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Garden Trophy

• 27-11-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard of, or playing in this?

It's apparently a load of clubs in Wicklow playing Barton Cup format in Jan/Feb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭george67

I played in it for last few years .It's a good lead into the Barton cup . Good memories of good matches and horrible weather .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

george67 wrote: »
    I played in it for last few years .It's a good lead into the Barton cup . Good memories of good matches and horrible weather .

Yeah, seems a bit mad if you ask me. But might be a good laugh!

It's supposed to give the Managers a chance to try different pairings / players in a "friendly" comp and to get vital foursomes playing time .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Any evidence that it works, i.e. have clubs who participate been doing better in the interclubs since it started?

For 3 years in a row (I think 2006-2008) the winners got knocked out in the first round . I was beginning to wonder if there was a hex on the comp .:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Isn't that more or less the same as the Fitzgibbon for the South Dublin teams? Think it is a great idea. Lets you get to know your partner and his game and also gives an introduction to inter-club match play in a semi non-competitive environment if you haven't played before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

BillyBoy wrote: »
    Isn't that more or less the same as the Fitzgibbon for the South Dublin teams? Think it is a great idea. Lets you get to know your partner and his game and also gives an introduction to inter-club match play in a semi non-competitive environment if you haven't played before.

Not a question directed at Billy but are there many of these type of warm up team events in Dublin? I'm off 11 so not sure what events I would qualify to play in?

For 3 years in a row (I think 2006-2008) the winners got knocked out in the first round . I was beginning to wonder if there was a hex on the comp .:rolleyes:

Interesting... Licksy, any chance you can shed any light on what preps your own place did before your win this season? Was there anything like the Garden Trophy which sowed the seed?

jimjo wrote: »
    Not a question directed at Billy but are there many of these type of warm up team events in Dublin? I'm off 11 so not sure what events I would qualify to play in?

I'd imagine you'd be in with a shout of Barton Cup. The combined for that is 14 so if there's a good 3 handicapper in you club (which there now is by the way!;)) then i'd say you could be a possible pairing.

I'd imagine you'd be in with a shout of Barton Cup. The combined for that is 14 so if there's a good 3 handicapper in you club (which there now is by the way!;)) then i'd say you could be a possible pairing.

Cheers Mister, oh and on the other thing yeah i follow you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

jimjo wrote: »

You'd have a few evenis - Jimmy Bruen Shield is a foursomes comp, combined 17, with no one lower than 6 allowed. So you could partner a 6.

As MS said, 11 + 3 for Barton Cup.

Depending on the depth of players, Metro Cup (or Prov Towns if you're outside Dublin) is a singles 9+ event, but off 11, you may struggle in some matches.

There's also the Irish Mixed Foursomes.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Interesting... Licksy, any chance you can shed any light on what preps your own place did before your win this season? Was there anything like the Garden Trophy which sowed the seed?
    No preparation beyond the usual practice rounds before each leg... Usually the whole panel (or at least those available) would play once at the away venue... always played singles, €10 a man with the winner taking all to focus the minds. A second outing if possible for those likely to be chosen away.
    We never 'practiced' foursomes as far as I remember.
    That said, I like the idea of the warm-up tournament but given the conditions and the likelyhood of closures etc then I wouldn't be wishing too hard for it!

It looks like I’ve kind of played myself into limbo land, I’m just out of the Pierce Purcell (max handicap 12) and may be a little out of my dept in the Barton Cup, will definitely aim for the Metro & the Jimmy Bruen Shield, will need to put a bit of work in to be really competitive.

Every intention for getting the handicap down, although I won’t go into detail as I won’t have anything else to add for when the Goals for 2010 thread really kicks in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Ha your not wrong there George but thankfully this year we put that hex to bed ;) , we only went and got knocked out in the second round ha ha...much better ha

I think its a great idea to have this in place, it gives as mentioned managers a chance to look at potentional players and pairings. It gives players a chance to get into the format mentality and get comfortable with partners. Above all else it gets a team playing eraly on in the year which helps build moral and most importantly competitive practice...cant beat that !!

It also got us meeting other players from other clubs and was great fun to be involved in !! No negatives to it in my opinion !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I've never heard of the Garden Trophy, but as Billy pointed out the Fitzgibbon Cup is an identical competition - straight foursomes format for a number of clubs in Wicklow and South Dublin (Bray, Charlesland, Delgany, Greystones, Killiney, Powerscourt...). There are two groups of four or five clubs and the winners of each group then play in the final.

In 2009, Greystones won it (we played the final after the first round of the Barton Cup had taken place), and we got knocked out of the Barton by Licksy's Gowran Park in the semi-final. It's an excellent warm up event and as has been pointed out, it gives manager's a chance to try different combinations and gives partners a chance to get used to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Anyone any scores from the Garden Trophy?

Rathsallaght 2.5 - 3.5 Southcounty

Thats all I have heard also !!
    A lot of the games have been put back due to the weather etc !

Can I ask if your playing in it and if so for who ??

Any updates from the garden trophy?

Ha yeah Coollattin played South County yesterday
    I played away in South County ( first time playing it) must say a really nice track !!

Coollattin got a spanking being beaten 5.5 - 0.5 !!
    Must be the worst I have played for the team but early doors and was first game in a long time so, that said taking nothing away from Sounth County they obviously played very well and a great bunch of lads who were very accommadating and friendly and the games were played in great spirits, fair play to them and good luck in the comp !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

As MS said, 11 + 3 for Barton Cup.

Lads,
    What's this Barton Cup that yer always on about? What's the format? You all seem to have a big interest in it. What handicaps are eligible?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

5 pairings of foursomes, matches on a home and away basis so a home draw gives you 3 games at home and 2 games away (on the same day).
    Minimum handicap for the pairing is a combined 14 with no other restriction so you can have an 8 and a 6 handicapper playing together or someone off +1 and 15 etc.
    Sometimes you'll see a young lad (no age restriction either) and a really low guy... it works off last years lowest handicap. Greystones had a pairing that was something like +2 and 9 at the time of the match!
    Leinster only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

Licksy wrote: »
    5 pairings of foursomes, matches on a home and away basis so a home draw gives you 3 games at home and 2 games away (on the same day).
    Minimum handicap for the pairing is a combined 14 with no other restriction so you can have an 8 and a 6 handicapper playing together or someone off +1 and 15 etc.
    Sometimes you'll see a young lad (no age restriction either) and a really low guy... it works off last years lowest handicap. Greystones had a pairing that was something like +2 and 9 at the time of the match!
    Leinster only :)

It's Leinster's version of the Connacht Shield so. How do shots work or is it played off scratch?
    Do Lenister have a 4-Ball interclub matchplay - like the Jack O'Sullivan in Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

thegen wrote: »
    Anyone any scores from the Garden Trophy?

Rathsallaght 2.5 - 3.5 Southcounty

23.01.10 South County 3.5 v. Rathsallagh 2.5

30.01.10 Killerig 3 v. Rathsallagh 3

06.02.10 Blessington L 4 v. Rathsallagh 2

06.02.10 Wicklow 3.5 v. Kilcoole 2.5

13.02.10 Arklow 5 v. Wicklow 1

06.02.10 Glenmalure 5.5 v. Roundwood 0.5

13.02.10 Glenmalure 3.5 v. Kilcoole 2.5

13.02.10 Arklow 5 v. Wicklow 1

20.02.10 Arklow 6 v. Glenmalure 0

20.02.01 Blessington Lakes 3.5 v. Coollatin 2.5

Blessington Lakes v Southcounty
    is there any other games on

Blessington Lakes v Southcounty
    is there any other games on

Hey the Gen

Yeah Coollattin playing Rathsallagh tomorrow. I am playing away there and looking forward to it. Good luck in your game!!

Buachaill

Will do. Best of luck in your match Buachill

Blessington Lakes 3 - 3 Southcounty

Blessington Lakes 3 - 3 Southcounty

Well done that's a good result! Who goes through to the final then?

Coollattin 3.5 RAthsallagh 2.5

• Advertisement

Blessington Lakes need to beat Killerig 5.5 to 0.5 on the 13th March to go through otherwise South County win the group. Very close game today 4 matches went down 18. A win for each team and a half for the other 2.

Advertisement