Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SIMI Registered Car Dealers

• 21-08-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Has anyone had any experience with Bill Griffin Motors on the Naas Road, please let me know? I'm interested in 2 cars there.

I'm also going to see a few cars in Prospect Motors in Drumcondra; Bill Sheehan & Sons in Rathgar and A S Cars in Ballymount. If you have had and experience with them, good or bad, could you please share it with me.

I also want to know if SIMI registered car dealers means they are totally reliable? All those dealer above are SIMI registered.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Cars&cars

SIMI is just a trade association that represents the motor trade industry.

I am in the motor trade but refuse to be part of SIMI - so I am bias to say the SIMI means very little when it comes to buying a car, and indeed I have seen many cases over the past year of SIMI registered dealers being caught for fraud - but thats not to say that any of the dealers you mention would be the same, more than likely they are perfectly reputable and good.

Best to go for a dealer that has been recommended to you by other customers and do the normal inspections and background checks.

What car was it and what price out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Oriental Doll

Cars&cars wrote: »
    SIMI is just a trade association that represents the motor trade industry.

I am in the motor trade but refuse to be part of SIMI - so I am bias to say the SIMI means very little when it comes to buying a car, and indeed I have seen many cases over the past year of SIMI registered dealers being caught for fraud - but thats not to say that any of the dealers you mention would be the same, more than likely they are perfectly reputable and good.

Best to go for a dealer that has been recommended to you by other customers and do the normal inspections and background checks.

What car was it and what price out of interest.

Thanks for your reply. I just thought that SIMI registered dealers would be more reliable but I totally agree that it doesn't mean they're 100% reliable or non-SIMI registered dealers are not unreliable at all. My budget is around €3-3.5k. I'm interested in Fiesta, Polo, KA, Yaris or some equivalent model of Mazda. I'd like something between '00-'03 and low mileage. Send me your website please if you have something meet my need. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭PANADOL

get one in the uk garages are a complete rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On that budget you may get better value from a private seller, just make sure you have the car checked by a mechanic prior to buying it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Had a car serviced and a few bits done by Bill Sheehan before, it's not the same as buying from them of course, but they seemed to be honest, professional and a decent level of customer service, for whatever that's worth.

As for SIMI, all I've ever heard of them doing is lobby on behalf of their members, and that really seems to be what they're there for. They exist to promote the interests of their members, not the consumer. Which is fair enough, they are an industry body, just don't assume they're there to help you.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    On that budget you may get better value from a private seller, just make sure you have the car checked by a mechanic prior to buying it.

Thanks. A few friends of mine suggested my go privately as well. After had looked a few dealers today and couldn't really find anything I'll start to look into private now.

Cheers.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Had a car serviced and a few bits done by Bill Sheehan before, it's not the same as buying from them of course, but they seemed to be honest, professional and a decent level of customer service, for whatever that's worth.

As for SIMI, all I've ever heard of them doing is lobby on behalf of their members, and that really seems to be what they're there for. They exist to promote the interests of their members, not the consumer. Which is fair enough, they are an industry body, just don't assume they're there to help you.

I went to Bill Sheehan today, they gave me the same impression.

Thanks for your reply re SIMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would hope that the OP has bought a car in the 4 years since they posted this thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement