Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Tourism

• 16-03-2005 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking ... imagine flying for 8 or so hours into shannon and then into a Limerick hotel, and spending a week in Limerick City Centre!

I dont really think Limerick City has any catchment at all for tourists, why have so many hotels when Limerick City is just a pit stop tourist centre.

King Johns Castle ... in the middle of the most dangerous part of the city. When ever i see those signs that surrond the city saying 'Visit Kings Island' I cant help thinking why tourists have a bad impression of the city!!! Who the hell came up with the idea that would be a great place for poor and tourists to mix. Sure Limerick dosent have a really poor pop. but that is still a no go area and we are telling our visitors to go there.

The treaty stone... now i'm proud that is a symbol for limerick and all but coming here and looking at a rock that there is almost no info about must make people wonder why in gods name they chose Limerick!

Gergian Buildings ... In some places there look great (perry square, the cresant) but thats about it, other then that the majority are rotting away putting a damper on the way Limerick looks!

Muesums ... okay there is the Hunt and the Limerick City Muesum but what limerick is famous for is Limericks. I belive they should set up a limerick museum. and there's the art gallery

Shopping ... Or lack there of apart from Brown Thomas we have no major shop, sure they will go around Dunnes and Carraig Donn (and other irish stuff) but there is no real shopping experience in Limerick ... its all in the suburbs.

Sport ... one of the few things Limerick is known for, but we dont seem to produce any magnificent teams in any sport. In fact the only team that would be known abroad would be munster rugby, and they look to be moving to an upgraded stadium in Cork. Although there is the Munster Rugby Store whch i must admit is a benefit.

Theatre ... Once again not much happening here, theres the Bell Table and LIT in the city but neither really ever hold any major plays/ acts etc.

NightLife ... Ok this is where things pick up, we have a few nightclubs and pubs around the city, but usually there are fights or some disturbances inside (but they are all over ireland). Plus there's the no-smoking ban!

Festivals ... Sure Limerick has Holiday on ice and Riverfest and Springfest but no ones going to fly here to attend these events espically not Springfest which is totally overshadowed by Dublin's Festivities.

Statues ... We have the stuff in Perry's Square, the tait clock, the sport guys outside the former Royal geroge hotel, the O'Connell monument and the Stuff in Peoples park but we have no real waterfontains or stuff like that or anything for Richard Harris!

What Limerick needs is some festival such as a comedy festival, but one that will really take off and bring all the big names here! And some extra things happening when they are having festivals rather then saying 'Dolans has got (name) preforming tonight'. I love my city but i would never come from the US just to Limerick, i would visit Ireland but not just Limerick!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

King Johns Castle ... in the middle of the most dangerous part of the city. When ever i see those signs that surrond the city saying 'Visit Kings Island' I cant help thinking why tourists have a bad impression of the city!!! Who the hell came up with the idea that would be a great place for poor and tourists to mix. Sure Limerick dosent have a really poor pop. but that is still a no go area and we are telling our visitors to go there.

well to be fair now King John built the castle a good 700 years before it became the area it is today, and why should we not have a tourist attraction in that part of limerick, it would bring a little money to the local businesses in the area.
    The treaty stone... now i'm proud that is a symbol for limerick and all but coming here and looking at a rock that there is almost no info about must make people wonder why in gods name they chose Limerick!

The treaty stone should be part of a promenade of sorts, but the damn thing has been moved so many times god only knows where the treaty was actually signed.
    Gergian Buildings ... In some places there look great (perry square, the cresant) but thats about it, other then that the majority are rotting away putting a damper on the way Limerick looks!

I wonder sometimes why the ones at the start of o connell street havent been pulled down yet. 77 O'connell street is a disgrace!
    Shopping ... Or lack there of apart from Brown Thomas we have no major shop, sure they will go around Dunnes and Carraig Donn (and other irish stuff) but there is no real shopping experience in Limerick ... its all in the suburbs

Cruises street, Arthurs Quay, not massive shopping areas but some major names have shops there on Cruises street..
    Sport ... one of the few things Limerick is known for, but we dont seem to produce any magnificent teams in any sport.

Most of the munster rugby team in recent times have come from Limerick clubs.
    Theatre ... Once again not much happening here, theres the Bell Table and LIT in the city but neither really ever hold any major plays/ acts etc.

also University Consert Hall, although some larger concerts could be taken from the likes of Tralee and milstreet.
    NightLife ... Ok this is where things pick up, we have a few nightclubs and pubs around the city, but usually there are fights or some disturbances inside (but they are all over ireland). Plus there's the no-smoking ban!

the no smoking ban is also all over the country.
    Festivals ... Sure Limerick has Holiday on ice and Riverfest and Springfest but no ones going to fly here to attend these events espically not Springfest which is totally overshadowed by Dublin's Festivities.

we also have the ev+a which could also be put under arts events. is the paddy music expo still running?

really most of your gripes are down to shoddy management by Limerick City Council and the complete muppet we have for a city manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

Limerick Man,

Really, you must be kicking yourself about that little comment about the castle! It's almost as bad as 'Why did they build the castle so near the free-way'. Limerick was the most powerful city in Ireland in Norman times, I'm sure they didnt have the Ryans and the Keanes in mind when they decided to build a huge Norman fortress off the River Shannon.

And i really dont believe that the Yanks would fly over to stay in Limerick for a week. I'm sure that if they fly to Shannon, their intention is to travel from there (perhaps stay in Limerick city for a night or two) to Killarney, Dingle, etc etc.

And Limerick is NOT as bad as you portray it...you are used to it, therefore take it for granted, as do most people in the city. It's a shame because if you stop to look, you'll see that Limerick is destined for huge things. The developments are dotted everywhere...if it was such as miserable place, dont you think that Limerick would have all this in store?

As for museums/monuments/etc...I doubt that a staue of Richard Harris would have been erected before his death...but I'm sure there will be something to comemmorate him in the future.

So come on and give us a break....if i was an american visiting this site, I wouldnt want to go to Limerick after what you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Refering to the castle i realise it was built ages ago but what i dont understand why the councell thought it would be a great idea to put councell houses sorounding it!!!

I know people dont usually come to limerick for the week ... thats the whole point ... this is the reason.

I was also refering to the city centre not UL (concert hall), Believe me i love limerick but touristy things arent all the rage and i agree its because of poor planning.

Even that horse tour of limerick closed because of high taxes. Only tour left is the angeles ashes!!!

I also realise the smoking ban is everywhere in ireland but i was refering to limerick only!

I think they should have a limericks museum in the city as i have found thats what the city i best known for in the US!!!! (i lived in chicago for a while)

Dont get me wrong i love limerick i was just on a dublin board and they were saying what to do and i was like... holey crap just pick one of the 500 options listed on the tread!!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Refering to the castle i realise it was built ages ago but what i dont understand why the councell thought it would be a great idea to put councell houses sorounding it!!!

Actually up until about 15 years ago there were council houses in the castle courtyard. The people had to be moved and the houses knocked before the castle was re-opened to the public. (And an ugly glass and chrome interpretive centre could be built outside it).

I agree with what your assesment of the tourist situation. I used to always asked the tourists I talked to, why Limerick?

Mostly it was to visit family or as part of a trip around Ireland. It's a pity really, the city could offer more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

While I can't disagree with some of the points, I gotta ask, Why Galway!
    Yes Dublin and Cork both have plenty for tourists, but I can honestly say that Galway has shag all! Well at least no more than Limerick, and yet I constantly hear, of how "great" Galway is for tourists!
    I mean, yes they have The Burren, but that was hardly thought out now was it!

• Advertisement

Well with the roads The Burren is easier to access from Limerick I would have thought!!! I have been to the castle many times and i know it was used for council housing ... but, that just shows the foresight these planners used to have!

And now we have these signs all over the city saying 'Visit Kings Island' when fact is ... Most people that live in Limerick would avoid the island!

But we are telling are tourists to go there????

would you prefer if we just built a big wall around the island, and covered the top with barbed wire, and trained snipers, just to make sure that nobody got in or out?!
    Yeah, nobody can reasonably deny that The planning of Limerick back in the 50's and 60's was crap, but at least by trying to open up these areas, and rejuvinate them, we can hope that in another 20 years, the problems pertaining from there will be less.

But we are not rejuvinating these areas!!!! Only the road from Patricks street to the Castle!
    People living in these areas arent espieacally happier, nor do they have a better standard of living!

But we are not rejuvinating these areas!!!! Only the road from Patricks street to the Castle!
    People living in these areas arent espieacally happier, nor do they have a better standard of living!

Limerick City council put aside 30 million for the Kings Island area of Limerick, just over a year ago.
    The problem with Limerick, has always been that in the 60's and 70's large housing estates were built without any emineties.
    ie: The Island field, Moyross, the South Hill area.
    Most of these houses were then turned into corporation houses.
    Now i'm not saying that anyone in a corporation house is a scumbag or anything (I spent the first 5 years of my life living in one out in Moyross!), but growing up in an area, without any parks, clubs, or even shops will have an effest on kids.
    If there's nothing to do, but stand around and throw rocks at passing cars, then kids are going to stand around and throw rocks at passing cars!
    Now just off Kings Island, there is a whole range of shops after been built.
    All this will at least do some good.

Advertisement