Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petrol Station attendants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I prefer to fuel my own car/van. Attendants hark back to the days when cinemas had ushers and buses had conductors, nice but hardly necessary. If you're not able to fuel up, god help you, it's hardly rocket science.

One time I had a petrol van and the eejit of an attendant had about a litre of diesel pumped in before I could stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I prefer to fuel my own car/van. Attendants hark back to the days when cinemas had ushers and buses had conductors, nice but hardly necessary. If you're not able to fuel up, god help you, it's hardly rocket science.

One time I had a petrol van and the eejit of an attendant had about a litre of diesel pumped in before I could stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

When I was in California a couple of years ago, the local petrol station offered the service. It was one price if you filled up yourself but it was more expensive if the attendant did it for you. Maybe two or three dollars more on a fill of petrol.

Lots of people went for that service. Maybe they didn't want to risk stinking up their hands with the smell of gasoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

PTH2009 wrote: »
    anyone see the pat short movie Garage

powerful movie and shows the death of these independent petrol stations

Off topic but that film wasn't what I was expecting. Very depressing film. Pat Short was good in it, very different from his normal type of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's the law in Oregon that you can't fuel your own car. Never felt more stupid sitting in the car handing my credit card to some stoned person to stick the nozzle in my car then they walk off and you have to wait for them to come back to take the nozzle out, it's usually a minute after the car was full by the time they get back but longer some times. Suppose that what happens when the State wants to cook the unemployment numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

BattleCorp wrote: »
    When I was in California a couple of years ago, the local petrol station offered the service. It was one price if you filled up yourself but it was more expensive if the attendant did it for you. Maybe two or three dollars more on a fill of petrol.

Lots of people went for that service. Maybe they didn't want to risk stinking up their hands with the smell of gasoline.

Precisely! - also if you are a bit suseptible to a it of OCD then you do not know who has had that nozzle before you! - it might have more faecal matter than a toilet seat! lol :eek: ... and then after filling up you sit down and eat your sausage and mustard lattice!

Precisely! - also if you are a bit suseptible to a it of OCD then you do not know who has had that nozzle before you! - it might have more faecal matter than a toilet seat! lol :eek: ... and then after filling up you sit down and eat your sausage and mustard lattice!

Jaysus you'd want to be cleaning your hands every time you opened a door or paid money to the nice man in the shop or pressed the buttons on the ATM or took part in some digital penetration.

OK OK the last one is fair enough, especially if the bird is from Sligo. But still!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I like going to petrol stations where women wash your car with their bewbs.

Vinculus wrote: »

So hollywood then?

Bit of a trek in me MR2 and on a cold day them nipples would ruin the paintwork.

i sorta like knew an old attendant years ago (well knew in the way he used to reguarly fill up me car) - anyway he was past retirement age, and he was progressively getting achy out in all weathers and had to jack it in (he went home , sat in chair every day , i think in 2 weeks he pegged it! - loved that job so he did. - station went self service after that, and was never the same - just morphed into all the other self service stations.

If attendants were brought back it would get all the retired OAP's a little job to keep em occupied ... (if a romanian or polish person dont get there before them) and they can have a nice ol chat with the public bless em :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nothing but praise for the courtesy and helpfulness of local garages here in Kerry . I have but to ask and they fill the car.. I almost always use the same one ( thank you Hegartys on the Muckross road) and they are great, Of course being old and disabled helps but all the same.....I know the ladies at the hot food counter now too. Chat while i wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Is this not still done elsewhere?

Pretty much any station I visit at home this is still done.

Vinculus wrote: »

I find your left with a lot of streaks ;)

MugMugs wrote: »
    Is this not still done elsewhere?

Pretty much any station I visit at home this is still done.

what? - women wash your car with their bewbs?

where u live? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Sorry, I'm just dreaming.
    I don't actually own a car.
    I'll go now if that's ok.
    Sorry

BEWBS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Theres one in cork at least and they are over as soon as you pull in to fill it.

anyone notice the increased risk/ correlation between cars being hijacked whilst your in shop paying for petrol and buying a few bits (or a weeks shopping like some tools do!) - if the attendant came out and filled yer car whilst you were still sitting in it and just pay him afterwards no chance of yer car getting hijacked off the forecourt! - ah sure but that would be too simple I suppose! and the petrol station shop would loose associated business with people coming into the shop boo-hoo!

that applegreen station on the Pearse Road in sligo - well going back years (i think when it was esso/innishfree) someone (cant remember if it were man or woman) drove off with nozzle still attached in tank - another reason you need an attendant on forecourt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It's such a pointless job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

XR3i wrote: »
    fuel injection technician

fuel implementation artist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

With elf n safety gone mad lately these days i am so surprised they still let us peasants of the general public anywhere near a volatile substance such as petrol/fuel - ...they might think again about getting the attendants back

One of the reasons, attendants were phased out was because they were constantly exposed to petrol and diesel vapours, whereas the car owner is only exposed for a few minutes.
    Then the roofs were raised on the forecourts to allow greater flow of air and most of us were used to pumping our own fuel by then.
    Attendants were reintroduced on some forecourts to minimise drive offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

anyone notice the increased risk/ correlation between cars being hijacked whilst your in shop paying for petrol and buying a few bits (or a weeks shopping like some tools do!) - if the attendant came out and filled yer car whilst you were still sitting in it and just pay him afterwards no chance of yer car getting hijacked off the forecourt! - ah sure but that would be too simple I suppose! and the petrol station shop would loose associated business with people coming into the shop boo-hoo!
    Has that ever actually happened?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Statistically more likely to be robbed when you're in the garage.
    Statistically more likely to be hijacked when in the car being attended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Or you could just lock your car going into the shop to pay.

Or you could just lock your car going into the shop to pay.

Which opens up the question, who locks their car when they go into shop to pay? (especially if it hasnt got remote control central locking) -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Which opens up the question, who locks their car when they go into shop to pay? (especially if it hasnt got remote control central locking) -
    Most cars do nowadays. Anyway if it doesn't have remote central locking it's probably not worth robbing anyway.

I happen to think the best thing to let customers do is fill up, then let them move on away from the pump and go into the shop to pay leaving the pump clear for the next vehicle - but if you do that i bet they think you are gonna scarper without paying!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Most cars do nowadays. Anyway if it doesn't have remote central locking it's probably not worth robbing anyway.

clever way of looking at it :) our car (well the wifes car) hasnt got remote central locking and your right its not worth nicking :D ... to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Do women shake the petrol pump after filling up or is it just a man thing?

Ha! I do this. My Mother taught me to do it...sounds so wrong now. :o

There is still an attendant in my local petrol station at home. Supervalue in Killarney! Which I where I usually go for petrol when I'm driving back to Cork. Never see it anywhere else though.

I've a friend who, for some reason, was scared of filling her car up with petrol when she first started driving. For about a year she used to go into the shop and ask for a staff member to fill her car with petrol. I found it bizarre. Was only 3 or 4 years ago so never really any petrol attendants around, usually ended up being shopkeepers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Graces7 wrote: »
    thank you Hegartys on the Muckross road

"Best petrol in Killarney" according to my brother! Whatever that means.

Advertisement