Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bulmers wrote: »
    Another day,another crash,another closure..seriously what's going on with this road?

Hit blanch on ramp at 6.35,not even paid my 2.10 yet.

Closed at lucan

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-rushed-to-hospital-following-collision-between-truck-and-car-on-m50-34189578.html

Reporting a Truck and car have collided. I use the m50 the odd time and I'm not surprised there's daily mayhem.

Heavy traffic is one thing, but it's complicated by a large majority who seem to have no idea how to drive responsibly and safely - undertaking, not merging properly, stuck in the middle / overtaking lane are behaviours I observe when I do use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Bulmers wrote: »
    Another day,another crash,another closure..seriously what's going on with this road?

Hit blanch on ramp at 6.35,not even paid my 2.10 yet.

Closed at lucan

Hope all involved are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

I honestly think a lot of the tips and shunts are caused by drivers dicking around on their phones and not noticing slow downs etc until it is too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-rushed-to-hospital-following-collision-between-truck-and-car-on-m50-34189578.html

Reporting a Truck and car have collided. I use the m50 the odd time and I'm not surprised there's daily mayhem.

Heavy traffic is one thing, but it's complicated by a large majority who seem to have no idea how to drive responsibly and safely - undertaking, not merging properly, stuck in the middle / overtaking lane are behaviours I observe when I do use it

Really getting sick of these idiots crashing on The M50

How ****ing thick do you have to be to crash there.

How the **** can they not drive in a straight line without crashing.

Crashing into a truck, what the ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jd wrote: »
    I honestly think a lot of the tips and shunts are caused by drivers dicking around on their phones and not noticing slow downs etc until it is too late.

Driving a motorbike recently and if I was a guard I would be issuing a ticket literally every 5 cars or so.

Smart Phones are the number one cause of shunts they single handedly are possibly costing the working economy millions a year via traffic delays .

We didn't have as many accidents in the boom when people just had Nokia phones that could only SMS . distractions distraction's Facebook what's app viber . having to look at the screen to type on the keyboard .

Opens your eyes when viewed from a bike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

listermint wrote: »
    Driving a motorbike recently and if I was a guard I would be issuing a ticket literally every 5 cars or so.

Smart Phones are the number one cause of shunts they single handedly are possibly costing the working economy millions a year via traffic delays .

We didn't have as many accidents in the boom when people just had Nokia phones that could only SMS . distractions distraction's Facebook what's app viber . having to look at the screen to type on the keyboard .

Opens your eyes when viewed from a bike

I travelled back as a passenger from Galway to Dublin last weekend - missus was driving and it was dark when we started our journey. The amount of people you saw on phones - that tell tale white glow was a give away - was shocking. One guy we pulled up beside you could clearly see the Facebook app

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Patww79 wrote: »
    It'll be something like phones they'll hit and take the easy way out rather than hitting all the other problems as they are too much hassle.

The problem is phones and the idiots using them I see it everyday. Every single day

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I was working up in Dublin at the start of the year for 3 month, I don't miss the M50 or Dublin!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

It's the lax attitude the guards have when there's an accident. This mornings accident happened at 5am. Investigation and clearing the road won't be finished till 12 noon.
    Should be able to clear things up in a shorter time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's the lax attitude the guards have when there's an accident. This mornings accident happened at 5am. Investigation and clearing the road won't be finished till 12 noon.

The occupant of the car has serious injuries according to the Irish Times. This type of forensic investigation is usually completed for serious incidents including those that involve a fatality (which I hope this one does not turn into).
    I don't believe that the gardai are being lax rather than being thorough. It's not as if they want to stand around in the pissing rain for the craic?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Crash with serious injury could lead to all kinds of court cases, life changing for at least a small number of people. Full investigation of every aspect at the scene required. Hardly a 'lax' attitude. A 'lax' attitude would be clearing a serious accident without full investigation to get traffic running better.

That's because it is phones that are the number one cause of traffic incidents imo. People like to blab on about bad driving but you will find that in every orbital route in a city on the planet it's not confined to the M50 alone. Drivers have their head buried in their mobiles checking out facebook or sending that all important life or death "did you see united last
    night" text.

We don't need new traffic enforcement laws we simply need to enforce the ones at present with bigger penalties. Have massive fines (in excess of 5k euro) and a possible 3 strikes and you are out policy for mobile use when driving and I can guarantee accidents will drop dramatically if people know they could lose their licence for good. Will we see this, of course not as the people commiting these offences are voters also and we all know how goverance works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Add the weather this morning to the cocktail of bad driving and congestion. Probably more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I commute everyday up and down the M50 and you do notice a lot of people on their phones and in their hands. Like some previous poster mentioned, it needs to be policed better with bigger punishments handed out. The police and can easily contact a mobile operator and check if the person was sending a text or using data for social media. A nice big fine of 3/5K and ban them from using the Motorway for x amount of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Lax was the wrong word I used there alright, but a thorough investigation shouldn't take so long.

Honestly pal I've driven on my motorbike in at least 40-50 countries world wide and that kind of driving is everywhere. People are dicks but I honestly believe smartphone use is a massive problem actually it's an epidemic now given that people are unable to put them down when out for dinner or in the pub with their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

thierry14 wrote: »
    Really getting sick of these idiots crashing on The M50

How ****ing thick do you have to be to crash there.

How the **** can they not drive in a straight line without crashing.

Crashing into a truck, what the ****.

Spare a minute to think of someone who was seriously injured, their family and what they might be going through this morning..

I was driving for an hour and a half this morning, over an hour late for work but at the end of the day, things could be a lot worse.

I lost a family member to a traffic accident and it was posted on breakingnews.ie before I knew about it. People were leaving not so nice comments and speculating to as whos fault it was. It isn't nice when you're on that side of the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Klopp wrote: »
    The police and can easily contact a mobile operator and check if the person was sending a text or using data for social media
    You can't prove that the driver was the one using the phone at the time so that wouldn't work.
    Klopp wrote: »
    A nice big fine of 3/5K and ban them from using the Motorway for x amount of months.
    The existing fine of €1k is sufficient. It just needs to be implemented!
    Lax was the wrong word I used there alright, but a thorough investigation shouldn't take so long.
    I'm sure the experts who carry out these investigations are able to accurately estimate the time required to forensically inspect the scene and then clear it up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Spare a minute to think of someone who was seriously injured, their family and what they might be going through this morning..

And who's fault was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Heroditas

And who's fault was it?

We don't know yet but that doesn't change the fact that someone is seriously injured

I was driving for an hour and a half this morning, over an hour late for work but at the end of the day, things could be a lot worse.

I lost a family member to a traffic accident and it was posted on breakingnews.ie before I knew about it. People were leaving not so nice comments and speculating to as whos fault it was. It isn't nice when you're on that side of the comments.

I am sorry for my comments, I feel bad writing them and I do feel sorry for the family.

But this is the most important road in all of Ireland and when there is a crash its chaos.

They are nearly all avoidable, it's bad driving.

I don't think the guardai should be spending as much time investigating on the M50 as they do other roads

It causes too much disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

And who's fault was it?

Would you care if that was your sister, mother, daughter or wife that was in a critical condition there this morning?

Would you care if that was your sister, mother, daughter or wife that was in a critical condition there this morning?

M50 has gotten so bad, we have to forget about the sympathy.

It's harsh, but it's a huge problem.

Government have built a road that's unavoidable and different rules should apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Reading this thread it seems bad driving and not an infrastructure at breaking point is the problem, add in a long car commute due to bad planning, a non existent public transport system and we get what we deserve.
    Just wait until we get a few centimeters of snow this winter - you ain't seen nothin' yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I'd like them to extend the fencing on the bridge the whole way along the motorway. It's one thing to be caught in traffic because of an accident ahead but it really annoys me when traffic is backed up on the other side because people slow down to have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Collateral tailbacks added 45 mins to my 25mins journey to the train station due to traffic going against me blocking junctions and so on.

Time to reconsider the walk / 15 minute interchange wait in the rain to take the train the whole way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement