Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Im always curious about training programmes perhaps being one of the reasons the road relays discussion went off the topic. As you have indicated a willingness to discuss training philosophy if you dint mind what or who is it based upon and are there any athletes that you follow either nationally or internationally that have convinced you on your approach to training. Going on your training diary the development of your aerobic system seems to be your focus.

Well the influences behind my training schedule are the principles of Lydiard essentially and Renato Canova. As you have suggested aerobic has been pretty much the focus of alot of my training at this stage. There are a few reasons for this.

1. My goal race is a half marathon. Research shows that According to Glover, energy needs for marathon and half marathon distances are met 99% aerobically and 1% anaerobically. Even at 10K distances, energy is 97% aerobic. Given this i feel that Lydiard is on the right track with his idea of building a strong enough aerobic base to tackle a marathon.

2. The fact that this goal race is not till Feb means i am still in the strength conditioning stage of my training as the time gets nearer i will be incorporating other forms of training (some anaerobic) in as the main goal is to peak perfectly in Feb.

Reflecting on my times i find that while i have the speed at the shorter distances to keep up with some of my old training partners who have gone on to notable success in terms of their times both domestically and internationally, and the fact that my times at the likes of five mile i am relatively happy with, i feel that my 3k and 5k times dont really reflect my ability and i the sort of aerobic base and particular sessions i am doing with help to build this speed endurance to allow me to maintain these kinds of paces throughout a race in order to improve my performances

Week 9 day 6

Intervarsity Road relays: 2 mile

legs felt tired from the wek training io had put in but i didnt mind to much and i was pretty calm to be honest. I was on the fourth leg of the relay and by the time that i had started i was in a bit of no mans land with no one to near ahead or behind. Despite this i pushed hard enough in the first leg and was happy with how i was feeling. Second mile and as i didnt have a watch on me i had no idea what kind of pace i was going at. Didnt feel too bad so i assumed wasnt anything amazing.with 800 to go i began to see DCU people cheering and as i am UCD i knew thath this could only mean one thing; the DCU A team was coming barreling down on me and needless to say when i looked back i saw 20 m behind me. their last miler was chasing me down. He had caught up with me at 300m to go so i said to myself "hold on to him for as long as possible and try not to let him lap you. This guy is a low 1.50 800m runner so i knew he had me for a kick but i was feeling good so i went for it and was shocked to see that i was actually leaving him behind. Granted the fact that DCU were so far ahead of second he didnt have to push that hard like work was already done but i was still delighted with the kinda strength that i showed i have so all in all i was happy. The next day i got the official time 10.43. I was kinda gutted thought it was faster but lookinga t last years results it was two seconds faster and given that i was fully rested for the race no sessions that week, looking back now i am really happy with it.

Finishing Time : 10.43

Week 9 Day 7.

90 min easy

Given i was racing yesterday (and a cheeky night out) was not in a great state for the run but i knew that i had to get something in so refused to look at the watch till i got home. Slower than my usually easy run prob back about 7.10 mile pace

Week 10 Day 1

AM 30 min easy

PM 60 min moderately steady

Pace was nice and honest till the last ten min which saw horrific wind as we were coming up the final hill so the pace suffered (as well as us)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

ecoli wrote: »
    Thanks for that it is always nice to get encouragement and even criticism is well recieved about my training or racing plans if anyone would like to have some input.

Looking at your log and your race times I think you could be leaving a bit on the track - i.e. doing your sessions too hard, e.g. this session:
    PM 15 min warm up 2x(5x1k) 1 min recover with 4 min recovery between sets

Target Time : 3.20

Actual Times:3.22, 3.21, 3.19. 3.20, 3.21
    3.18, 3.17, 3.17, 3.17, 3.15

Based on your 2mile time of 10.43 (5.21 pace), you're essentially training at your 2mile race pace, AND FOR 10K at that pace, with only a minute recovery!!! Personally I think this is madness. I think if you wanted to do 10k of reps you should be down at about 5.40 pace, max, and maybe you'd be aswell do 5 x 2k.

Or if you wanted to work more on speed you could have done only 5 x 1k at 5k pace - but more than that might be overkill. Also, did you only do this session a few days before the race? If so, I think the fast pace in training and the sessions being close together, not easing up before races is asking for trouble in terms of illness and not performing at your best.

I remember a while back you or one of your training buddies doing 4 x 1k in 3mins - must be close enough to your 1mile race pace! I've run into trouble with this before and the explanation given was that training at such intensity lowers the pH of the body, eroding aerobic fitness. So I'd now favour doing longer slower intervals (up to a 10k max) with occasional faster sessions, but the faster sessions are limited to 5 to 6k with longer recoveries if needed.

Best of luck with the half marathon training.

• Advertisement

Looking at your log and your race times I think you could be leaving a bit on the track - i.e. doing your sessions too hard, e.g. this session:

Based on your 2mile time of 10.43 (5.21 pace), you're essentially training at your 2mile race pace, AND FOR 10K at that pace, with only a minute recovery!!! Personally I think this is madness. I think if you wanted to do 10k of reps you should be down at about 5.40 pace, max, and maybe you'd be aswell do 5 x 2k.

Or if you wanted to work more on speed you could have done only 5 x 1k at 5k pace - but more than that might be overkill. Also, did you only do this session a few days before the race? If so, I think the fast pace in training and the sessions being close together, not easing up before races is asking for trouble in terms of illness and not performing at your best.

I remember a while back you or one of your training buddies doing 4 x 1k in 3mins - must be close enough to your 1mile race pace! I've run into trouble with this before and the explanation given was that training at such intensity lowers the pH of the body, eroding aerobic fitness. So I'd now favour doing longer slower intervals (up to a 10k max) with occasional faster sessions, but the faster sessions are limited to 5 to 6k with longer recoveries if needed.

Best of luck with the half marathon training.

Thanks for the input.
    First off though looking back through my logs many of my training sessions are based around 5.40 pace. Int my next session will be 3x3mile at this pace This was a session designed intentionally running at below race pace to give my body a chance to adapt to changes in pace within a race as they can be unpredictable and if your body cant adapt to slight pace changes it can ruin your chances at achieving your time. Having researched the target race there are many junior African runner who come over to race this half which are in around the 75 min mark or lower. One of the attritbutes of African running over the years has been to kill off competition not through better fitness but the ability to adapt to the change in pace.
    The fact that i did not ease up for this race was intentional. I have set out target races and the run on Saturday was not one of them it was an obligation to the college. This is to allow me to continue my training uninterrupted which can allow me to peak perfectly for the half marathon. The idea is to have your body constantly tired (not exhausted) so that come taper time i will be in top shape.
    Looking back on my training partners training log you are correct in the session he did however this was over 3 and a half months ago when he was targeting track season (which he PB ed in the 8 and 15) this was before he had begun his half marathion training over even his base building.
    In terms of the idea of the PH balance within the body leading to eroding of aerobic fitness i would have to disagree as this is still in fact an aerobic workout. An anaerobic workout takes up to 10 seconds to attain maximal ATP production and can be maintained for a maximum of 90 seconds after this performance is cannot be maintained due to the lactic acid accumulation. If you take these 1k s into account which were 3.20 s. the fact that they were maintained throughout indictates that these were in fact working the aerobic system. The fact that maximal oxygen uptake was achieved in each rep was the underlining determenant in the ability to perform at this level with the recovery bouts in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Thanks for the input.
    First off though looking back through my logs many of my training sessions are based around 5.40 pace. Int my next session will be 3x3mile at this pace This was a session designed intentionally running at below race pace to give my body a chance to adapt to changes in pace within a race as they can be unpredictable and if your body cant adapt to slight pace changes it can ruin your chances at achieving your time. Having researched the target race there are many junior African runner who come over to race this half which are in around the 75 min mark or lower. One of the attritbutes of African running over the years has been to kill off competition not through better fitness but the ability to adapt to the change in pace.
    The fact that i did not ease up for this race was intentional. I have set out target races and the run on Saturday was not one of them it was an obligation to the college. This is to allow me to continue my training uninterrupted which can allow me to peak perfectly for the half marathon. The idea is to have your body constantly tired (not exhausted) so that come taper time i will be in top shape.
    Looking back on my training partners training log you are correct in the session he did however this was over 3 and a half months ago when he was targeting track season (which he PB ed in the 8 and 15) this was before he had begun his half marathion training over even his base building.
    In terms of the idea of the PH balance within the body leading to eroding of aerobic fitness i would have to disagree as this is still in fact an aerobic workout. An anaerobic workout takes up to 10 seconds to attain maximal ATP production and can be maintained for a maximum of 90 seconds after this performance is cannot be maintained due to the lactic acid accumulation. If you take these 1k s into account which were 3.20 s. the fact that they were maintained throughout indictates that these were in fact working the aerobic system. The fact that maximal oxygen uptake was achieved in each rep was the underlining determenant in the ability to perform at this level with the recovery bouts in between.

Thanks for the explanation. But I still don't understand how doing 10k of intervals with only short recoveries at 2 mile race pace is not overkill, I'll have to read up some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 h8 runnin

it does seem like your training too hard. looking back over your log i see you attempted a 3 x 2k at your 2mile race pace. this seems suicidal to me.

h8 runnin wrote: »
    it does seem like your training too hard. looking back over your log i see you attempted a 3 x 2k at your 2mile race pace. this seems suicidal to me.

I just want to clarify something. It seems that alot of people are interpretting the time i ran last weekend as my optimum 2 mile race pace. People need to realise that by the time i had come to that race i had already nearly clocked 60 miles that week and two hard sessions so you cannot take this race as being my two mile race pace. Particular training sessions do not make or break a training plan it is how they fit into the overall general outline. Yes i do some stuff at quicker than race pace but most of the training is conducted at HM race pace

Week 10 Day 2

AM 30 min easy
    PM 2 mile warm up 10x400m with 1 min recovery 2 mile cool down

Target Time: 70-72

Actual times: 65, 67 ,69, 68, 73 ,69, 72, 69, 72, 70

Due to work etc had to rearrange all my sessions this week.First Anaerobic workout in the best part of a year and made a rookie mistake went out way to fast on the first one which pretty much ruined the session. Was weird to feel the legs flooded with such lactic during a session been so long

• Advertisement

Week 10 Day 3

PM 30 min easy

Today was the easy day had to swap around days this week however as long as sessions arent done day after each other and i cover what i had intented i am okay with being flexible with my schedule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 1500mrunner

I just want to clarify something. It seems that alot of people are interpretting the time i ran last weekend as my optimum 2 mile race pace. People need to realise that by the time i had come to that race i had already nearly clocked 60 miles that week and two hard sessions so you cannot take this race as being my two mile race pace. Particular training sessions do not make or break a training plan it is how they fit into the overall general outline. Yes i do some stuff at quicker than race pace but most of the training is conducted at HM race pace

Ok taking the last race out, what about your 5k time from October, its does seem that your sessions are of better quality then your racing. Im just backing what other people have already noticed.

And your session tuesday totally confussses me why a guy who is training for a half in febuary is doing 400's in 65-69s off 1 min. It seems like that is middles distance training at its best and the rang in which your times are indicates that u really were hurting.

Im mearly just asking not proding cause at the end of the day its your trainin and its your life.. Still think your on for a 75min half but maybe there is more there!

Ok taking the last race out, what about your 5k time from October, its does seem that your sessions are of better quality then your racing. Im just backing what other people have already noticed.

And your session tuesday totally confussses me why a guy who is training for a half in febuary is doing 400's in 65-69s off 1 min. It seems like that is middles distance training at its best and the rang in which your times are indicates that u really were hurting.

Im mearly just asking not proding cause at the end of the day its your trainin and its your life.. Still think your on for a 75min half but maybe there is more there!

Well DJS just for clarification 65-69 was my training partners ranges not mine as i never mentioned 69 slowest as end of my ranges that was his.First off Half Marathon training is 99% aerobic meaning that while it is predominantly based around training this system one Anaerobic session very rarely can compliment a strong aerobic base. Granted these were slightly too fast.
    If you remember this was my first race fit since 2008 and the fact i went out in 4.41 for the first mile probably contributed to this. If i compare to last year i felt i was in best shape of my life and manage to achieve 11 second improvement in th same race despite dying i wouldnt view it as leaving everything on track. End of the day neither of these races were targets in the overall plan and the times were pretty much irrelevant despite both being quicker than same stage this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I would'nt be in any sort of position to give advice to ecoli but Ill just give my opinion on the debate.

I think different approaches work for different runners. I think their are plenty of runners out there who absolutely kill it day in day out and as a result run well.

If ecoli is one of those guys, if he can do sessions like he is doing (which I admit are mad+damn impressive) and run at his best and set PB's then thats what he should keep doing.

If the PB's dont come thats when you have to start questioning your approach.

I came across this excellent article by one of the founders of the letsrun website...about how in college he would run ridiculous workouts and he never felt he ran well. After college he started taking a completely different approach, running really controlled workouts and he ran some incredibly impressive races.

You might have read this one already ecoli but its well worth a read:

http://www.letsrun.com/2006/collegesuck.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 1500mrunner

Well DJS just for clarification 65-69 was my training partners ranges not mine as i never mentioned 69 slowest as end of my ranges that was his.

Firstly Im not DJS, Secondly I was just highlighting the fast that 6 out of your 70 reps were under 70s seconds which was your goal time. Now im just unsure why a half marathon guy would be doing faster then 1500m race pace trainin in november when he wants to peak for feb. Thats all im saying I not sayin that I know alot into that distance training wise

Firstly Im not DJS, Secondly I was just highlighting the fast that 6 out of your 70 reps were under 70s seconds which was your goal time. Now im just unsure why a half marathon guy would be doing faster then 1500m race pace trainin in november when he wants to peak for feb. Thats all im saying I not sayin that I know alot into that distance training wise

A bit of speed incorporated to work slightly on my anaerobic system once in a while does not erode the aerobic base i have and consulting one of my training partners who is well experienced at this distance . He has been very helpful between him and his coach who is a recognised coaching qualifications i have been given insight into the distance which i did not have before hand as I am also new to the distance. People may think my training is mad and they are entitled to it if that it was they feel but I think the main thing about any training programme is that the person who carries it out has faith in it which i do and that is why i dont mind defending it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Hey Ecoli. When is your next race? One in which you will proerly rest/taper? Might help validate your training to posters who have questioned your methods. Personally I think you are overcooking (I've done it myself in the past ) but everyman to himself.

Hey Ecoli. When is your next race? One in which you will proerly rest/taper? Might help validate your training to posters who have questioned your methods. Personally I think you are overcooking (I've done it myself in the past ) but everyman to himself.

The Aware 10k is a race which i will look to taper for and PB in and given all the negative attitudes towards this training i feel that breaking my PB (36.15) wont be enough so i am laying it out there showing my faith in my training in the target for this race will be very low 34

Week 10 Day 4

AM 30 min easy

PM 2mile warm up 1 x 3 mile 2 min recovery 1x1k 2 min recovery 1x2 mile 2 mile cool down

With the adverse training conditions knew that this session was gonna be a long shot the wind cost us alot the goal was 5.40 pace but the wind really messed this up as i was at 5.50 pace for the first 3 mile in 17.28.
    On the 1 k the winds picked up even more and i knew that the session was over. On walking the 200m back to the start line i decided to take off the watch and turn it into a tempo session and ran as i felt keeping it comfortably fast similar to the effort i felt on the first long rep. Not too worried as i still got distance in and the effort was roughlu what it should be for this kind of session nothing to tough which may please some of my logs readers:D

Week 10 Day 5

roughly 15 mile long run (V. Hilly Course)

Hadnt done this route in a while and by the end of it i remembered why. Two of the lads i ran with despite feeling i was going faster left me two min behind them. I was in really struggling and thought i was running so slow it was only after the uphill part of the run finished (which is nearly an hour constant climb) that i realised why. Despite being left by training partners i was still five min faster after only an hour into the run and once the ground levelled off legs started feeling okay again so i pushed it on to catch up. While i didnt catch up the run was nearly 12 min faster than last time which is a good indication of my improvement in strength since then which was almost 6 weeks ago so altoghther i happy with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

the mile workout you did a few days ago was fine but 10 x 400m just makes no sense at this time of the year training for a half marathon in feb.
    you will probably run around 34.40 in your 10k based on your trainign and races.
    also i wouldn't get caught up in racing your 15mile training runs.

Despite being left by training partners i was still five min faster after only an hour into the run and once the ground levelled off legs started feeling okay again so i pushed it on to catch up. While i didnt catch up the run was nearly 12 min faster than last time

the mile workout you did a few days ago was fine but 10 x 400m just makes no sense at this time of the year training for a half marathon in feb.
    you will probably run around 34.40 in your 10k based on your trainign and races.
    also i wouldn't get caught up in racing your 15mile training runs.

Despite being left by training partners i was still five min faster after only an hour into the run and once the ground levelled off legs started feeling okay again so i pushed it on to catch up. While i didnt catch up the run was nearly 12 min faster than last time

Sorry prob wasnt the best words to use while the pace did pick up it was still all quite comfortable. it was downhill for most of this and it was one of the reasons for the pace picking it up but. Thanks for the advice though like i said the 400 was not a regular session just to give the anaerobic system a little shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

The Aware 10k is a race which i will look to taper for and PB in and given all the negative attitudes towards this training i feel that breaking my PB (36.15) wont be enough so i am laying it out there showing my faith in my training in the target for this race will be very low 34

Fair enough and best of luck to you but it's a bit juvenile to invite constructive comments and then term them negative !

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

hey ecoli
    best of luck with training log
    which hm are you doing in feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Don't think people are been too critical, I think its a case when you put up a training log people will give advise, from the session when you gave your two mile time it did look far too fast, But if thats not your actual two mile race time its hard for people to know that. Might be a case that your running off planned race times and not actual race time? One bit of advise I was give was to always use your current race times and not your planned race time for sessios ie my 5k pace would be 4:12 but at the time i wanted to go sub 20 so was doing reps @ 4:00 pace which was too fast. Just make sure that come race day you dont leave all your hard work back on the training field.

AWARE 10k should give you a good idea where you are. Best of luck with the target.

Fair enough and best of luck to you but it's a bit juvenile to invite constructive comments and then term them negative !

Terms like "your mad" and "suicidal" i wouldnt consider to be constructive terms or maybe that is just me. I do want to say though that not all the feedback (including some of the comments against my training plan) i would tar under this brush and i do appreciate the feedback

theduke1 wrote: »
    hey ecoli
    best of luck with training log
    which hm are you doing in feb

Thanks. Its in Torrveija in spain seems like a perfect course only 2 m elevation at max on the course and at that time of the year temperatures should be favourable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

I agree with Ecoli here,
    I do agree with alot of others that you train better than you race.
    would you agree with this and have you any reasons why?
    I would be the opposite,train ok and race well.
    Im sure a big run is only around the corner for you though.
    when is aware 10K?
    going to go for a trot now.

I agree with Ecoli here,
    I do agree with alot of others that you train better than you race.
    would you agree with this and have you any reasons why?
    I would be the opposite,train ok and race well.
    Im sure a big run is only around the corner for you though.
    when is aware 10K?
    going to go for a trot now.

I have found through past training that i need to stress body more than goal pace as have trained at slower paces and found my races to be lacking i seem to perform better when it is not all longer stuff at goal pace. I know at the moment it does appear that my races are not showing the training but the idea behind my training is that everything is designed towards this half for now so i am not looking to smash PB s every week will then as long as i can stress and adapt my body without breaking down or getting sick until start of feb i can ease up allowing my body to fully recover and have that big run when it counts. So i am going to be tired but as long as i can conitinue improving in training which i have been then it will count when it really matters.
    I have just recieved my college exam timetable which has an exam from 9-11 on the 12th so i have to go looking now for a suitable replacement race for maybe that sunday anyone have any ideas?

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Don't think people are been too critical, I think its a case when you put up a training log people will give advise, from the session when you gave your two mile time it did look far too fast, But if thats not your actual two mile race time its hard for people to know that. Might be a case that your running off planned race times and not actual race time? One bit of advise I was give was to always use your current race times and not your planned race time for sessios ie my 5k pace would be 4:12 but at the time i wanted to go sub 20 so was doing reps @ 4:00 pace which was too fast. Just make sure that come race day you dont leave all your hard work back on the training field.

AWARE 10k should give you a good idea where you are. Best of luck with the target.

I can see where you coming from here and it is not that i am predicting my two mile time. What i am saying is that a full week of of doubles including 2 hard sessions was obviously doing to tire so i think that people assuming that this the session is my two mile race pace as it is not an accurate race to judge my pace as being "two mile race pace" which is what people seem to be indicating.
    I can see the logic behind running your current times but which their is a paradox here in do you take your PB or your most recent. If you take most recent which i assume you are then take an example of mine 17.09 but put this down to running first mile too fast (4.41). This would mean that i would actually be training slower than my ability and as such am not stressing my body enough to gain improvement. Also it would mean that in order to keep paces accurate racing regularly fully rested would be a must and in order to do this I would sacrifice full weeks hard training for a race and to keep it accurate that would mean doing this regularly. So your training begins to suffer as you are losing countless weeks so i think we must gauge are ablility off training, to an extent. I do have target races that i will rest for but these are few and far between Aware was one which due to college i am looking for a replacement, Raheny 5 and one other before the HM will be what i am aiming for

Advertisement