Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

who is there to take over for EOS ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

The next coach should be someone to match our ambitions.

Eddie Jones is at Saracens and won't be leaving any time soon, especially as they allowed him time off for the WC with the Boks.

I can't see the RFU opting for a non English coach except as a last resort TBH, England's win today (and they played well don't forget) should buy Ashton some time.

Declan Kidney wouldn't take the job IMHO, he's more than happy where he is and has an exciting future.

Jake White would be the obvious choice. He's not a "tough guy" that would "knock the Blazers into shape" he is a very very good team builder and an astute tactition - just what we want. He also has experience in underage rugby, having coached the Baby Boks to WC Glory.

I don't think money would be a major issue, we should be able to come up with that. I think it would be more about how he perceives the IRFU, ie if their focus is on winning a triple crown next year rather than challenging for the next WC then I don't think he'd be interested. He knows whats needed to win a WC and needs to know that the IRFU will supply it.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

sioda wrote: »
    Bradley from Connaught only choice IMO
    Your joking i hope? In fairness bradley has very little backing at connaught but he has done very little with what he has. He also made a complete mess of the A's this year. Unlikely to get the job at all unless the IRFU want to go cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Sundy wrote: »
    He also made a complete mess of the A's this year. Unlikely to get the job at all unless the IRFU want to go cheap.

Complete mess of the A team that he is not allowed to pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The question should be who would really want to:p

Complete mess of the A team that he is not allowed to pick?

But was still his responsibility to prepair the team for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I think we should do whatever it takes to get Jake White.

Failing that I think John Kirwan would be a good alternative. Did relatively well with a limited Italian team. Any opinions?

BYW, am I the only person disgusted at references to EOS's family when the RTE pundits were talking about his situation. They spoke as though he was goin to end up on the breadline if he got the sack and not get a million plus settlement.

I think we should do whatever it takes to get Jake White.

Failing that I think John Kirwan would be a good alternative. Did relatively well with a limited Italian team. Any opinions?

BYW, am I the only person disgusted at references to EOS's family when the RTE pundits were talking about his situation. They spoke as though he was goin to end up on the breadline if he got the sack and not get a million plus settlement.
    They were being respectfull and not sticking in the dagger because it looks like eddie mite go honourably. However i believe if eddie had said i have no intention of goin anywhere.. 4 year contract blah blah then i believe the would have tore him to shreads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭what say what?

I

its a bit pathetic all right, shows exactly what george is made of though

slaughters the guy all year and then when asked to back it up at the end he cowers like the wimp he truly is.

It is time for eddie to go, perhaps towards another irfu role, i don't want to forget the good he brought but i cant forget the bad either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Hats off to EOS for taking the IRFU to the cleaners.

Maybe on reflection they'll learn their lesson.

Pricks.

They need to get their act together in order to secure a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

if theres any dignity in EOS, he should resign immediatly , he has failed spectacularly this season, in particular the WC.
    Jake White for me , Denis O'Brien may be required again in another Irish sporting emergency , he is a keen rugby man , and ex Wanderers player :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

The reason I put up Bradley is that he has done a lot with very little and at the moment thats where the Irish team is feeling like very little so he maybe able to get something from them

Yes Jake White would be a great catch but just dont see it happening.

And if they want Kidney they will have to get rid of all the Leinster player first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Can't understand this "Jake White is too good for us" nonsense. For a coach like White, an underachieving, but talented team like Ireland would be massively attractive. A coach like him, given his head, allowed to appoint his own coaching team would take Ireland places...professionally and personally I'd imagine it would be difficult for him to refuse.

If we're serious about Irish rugby, and no longer content with the odd meaningless triple crown and gallant runner-up label, we need a guy of his calibre...of course the suits at the IRFU wouldn't relish loosing control of their personal hobby horse, but imo we've got to do a Corleone and make the guy an offer he can't refuse...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

SCW for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quagmire69

kenco wrote: »

This is the IRFU and not the FAI therefore logic should dictate.

Where was the logic in the new 4 year contract before the WC???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

As a totally frustrated Connacht supporter,I count us very lucky that there is no relegation from the magners league as we would be sent down long ago if there was.
    Bradley has gotten stale in Connacht like EOS has with the Ireland set-up.
    Maybe Ireland takes him (dont let the drop slam you on the way out!) and we at connacht get a well deserved shake up.
    Johnnyboy4711

Jake White, only man for the job, end of story!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

toomevara wrote: »
    Can't understand this "Jake White is too good for us" nonsense. For a coach like White, an underachieving, but talented team like Ireland would be massively attractive. A coach like him, given his head, allowed to appoint his own coaching team would take Ireland places...professionally and personally I'd imagine it would be difficult for him to refuse.

If we're serious about Irish rugby, and no longer content with the odd meaningless triple crown and gallant runner-up label, we need a guy of his calibre...of course the suits at the IRFU wouldn't relish loosing control of their personal hobby horse, but imo we've got to do a Corleone and make the guy an offer he can't refuse...

Remember he did say that no Irish player would get into the Boks squad [now whether this was a true statement or just i wind up i dont know] but he doesnt seem to like us and the pool of players we have available to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Stev_o wrote: »
    Remember he did say that no Irish player would get into the Boks squad [now whether this was a true statement or just i wind up i dont know] but he doesnt seem to like us and the pool of players we have available to us.

He could've just been playing mind games. Didn't really work, mind you, if he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That strikes me as something he was probably pushed into answering, at a press conference. Remember not so long ago we were the "only" team who could possibly match New Zealand. Regrettably on available players' current form he would be right.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly obviously.

Bring a bit of swagger back!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Jake White is hanging around for the England job. Not the Irish job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Screw it, lets go all out and try and make Shaun Edwards ignore an English position, nix on his Wales one and take over as defensive coach for Ireland.

Yeah, fat chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Saw John Mitchell mentioned in one of the papers. Isn't his contract with Western Force up this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

That makes me want him even more. Nobody will be safe and he'll have his foot up every one of their ar$es.
    At the end of the day though it's not just about what coach we get, it's about all the other aspects of modern Rugby that Eddie was so totalitarian about. Look at what Shaun Edwards has done for Wales. What we need is a new management TEAM, and I'll settle for just about any at this stage.

sioda wrote: »
    The reason I put up Bradley is that he has done a lot with very little and at the moment thats where the Irish team is feeling like very little so he maybe able to get something from them

Yes Jake White would be a great catch but just dont see it happening.

And if they want Kidney they will have to get rid of all the Leinster player first ;)
    Bradly has done nothing with connaught. They have even blown a massive chance to get above Ulster this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

bradley has done nothing and isnt good enough.People questioning an aproach to jake white are in dreamland.we are in the top 8 or 10 sides in the world at the moment,when our players are playing well,we are easily in the top 4 or 5.we should easily be able to attain a top manager,this isnt the football team we are talking about.

we have quality players and are a top side,as in we are better than scotland,fiji,tonga,usa etc.imo we have better players than wales and england,so the talent is ther,it just needs to be nutured and confidence needs to be sparked again.

Our provincial teams have done well in the heineken cup,with munster winning it in rescent seasons.It would not be a hard feat to attract jake white,money is available,as are a lot of players.

People say he will go to england!what youngsters have england produced this 6 nations?cipriani
    there team is muck for the amount of players avalable( they have resorted to drafting in polynesians like the rubbish vainakolo to cover up the holes at ther youth levels),we also have alot more players than people think.Just look at Bob Casey as an example of a player ignored!,who hould have been drafted in but Eddie is an idiot.there are more like him

we have kearney,fitzgerald and bowe has come back into the scene.so in 1 6 nations we have found two youngsters and rediscoved a gem who could all become world class players and are already up to international standard.Its not all doom and gloom.

If we hired jake white,his aim would be to win the wc.People are talking about our players being too old,thats rubbish.players like Bod and darcy and ogara can all play in the next wc.They just need to refind their form and confidence can bring that.If that happened people would not even be questioning their age.A new coach will bring this confidence and maybe some enjoyment for them and help them to start loving the game again,instead of considering it a chore .like it seems to be under eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

How about John Connolly? Not great with Australia but had a decent enough club record

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Connolly_%28rugby%29

I'm not saying he is a great coach but he is pretty good, and just trying to rack my brains for an alternative to White or Kidney!

BillyBoy wrote: »
    How about John Connolly? Not great with Australia but had a decent enough club record

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Connolly_%28rugby%29

I'm not saying he is a great coach but he is pretty good, and just trying to rack my brains for an alternative to White or Kidney!

I dont care as long as they dont use an Irish coach.Leave kidney at munster,he is doing well for them and the leinster players dont like him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

dc69 wrote: »
    bradley has done nothing and isnt good enough.People questioning an aproach to jake white are in dreamland.we are in the top 8 or 10 sides in the world at the moment,when our players are playing well,we are easily in the top 4 or 5.we should easily be able to attain a top manager,this isnt the football team we are talking about.

we have quality players and are a top side,as in we are better than scotland,fiji,tonga,usa etc.imo we have better players than wales and england,so the talent is ther,it just needs to be nutured and confidence needs to be sparked again.

Our provincial teams have done well in the heineken cup,with munster winning it in rescent seasons.It would not be a hard feat to attract jake white,money is available,as are a lot of players.

People say he will go to england!what youngsters have england produced this 6 nations?cipriani
    there team is muck for the amount of players avalable( they have resorted to drafting in polynesians like the rubbish vainakolo to cover up the holes at ther youth levels),we also have alot more players than people think.Just look at Bob Casey as an example of a player ignored!,who hould have been drafted in but Eddie is an idiot.there are more like him

we have kearney,fitzgerald and bowe has come back into the scene.so in 1 6 nations we have found two youngsters and rediscoved a gem who could all become world class players and are already up to international standard.Its not all doom and gloom.

If we hired jake white,his aim would be to win the wc.People are talking about our players being too old,thats rubbish.players like Bod and darcy and ogara can all play in the next wc.They just need to refind their form and confidence can bring that.If that happened people would not even be questioning their age.A new coach will bring this confidence and maybe some enjoyment for them and help them to start loving the game again,instead of considering it a chore .like it seems to be under eddie.

Hold up a second. England have a abundance of talented youngster's at their disposal they are fairly set for the future once there manager gives them a run. Youngster wise they have Croft, Haskell, Flood Wigglesworth, Tait, P Hodgeson etc. And then look at their Saxons squad and you have to say they are lucky in terms of production.

We have Kearney Heaslip and Fitzgerald they are the only guys we'v managed to produce that have a real great prospect. Bowe already had 10 or so caps so he isnt new to the set up.

Our Ireland A team filled with youths got absolutely hammered and made look like a joke by the Scotland A team so wheres the great hope we look for their.

There isnt a huge line of guys pushing to remove the people that are already there and here is where our fault lies. Jack White had a huge pool of players to develop his Boks side if he managed here he will find it hard to adjust hence why he has said he has interest in England.

If we are to get the best out of what we have we need to get someone who knows the youth and talent available not someone who's going to base everything on TV footage and spreadsheets

If we are to get the best out of what we have we need to get someone who knows the youth and talent available not someone who's going to base everything on TV footage and spreadsheets

jake white!
    he has a record with underage teams and wasnt afraid to bring youngsters into the team

also half the England youth players such as flood and tait are ****,i dont care what anyone says,i would take kearney and fitzgerlad over flood and tait any day of the week.you are just buying into the english media hype,half these players they are producing are ****
    yesterday they were announcing cipriani as the next carter,almost preparing his Knighthood,they are a joke when it comes to hyping up their youth.

we do have good youth and experienced players for the next wc

jennings
    Healy
    Kearney
    Fitzgerald
    Trimble
    Bowe
    Healsip
    Redden
    Bod
    Darcy
    Ogara
    Sexton
    Buckley
    Jones
    Best
    Ferris

etc
    and more will come through,i am not too hung up on our youth and unlike george hook do not think we will be the next Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 johnnyutah

Pat Howard for new Irish manager, anyone???

He's just left his position with the ARU and was pretty successful during his time with Leicester.. Any thoughts?

Advertisement