Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a sign! The end times :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

ninja900 wrote: »
    It's a sign! The end times :eek:

Let's all hail "C/2012 S1".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Gbear wrote: »

Just bought the young fella a new telescope for his birthday. He's going to be excited by this, and I can hardly wait myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

pauldla wrote: »
    Just bought the young fella a new telescope for his birthday. He's going to be excited by this, and I can hardly wait myself!!!

There is a comet next March called Panstars that might be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jernal wrote: »
    So lads and ladies, let's face it, the self portrait of our own workspaces is never going to be as awesome as this.
    (Bet the fecker is pulling a duckface pose too.)

Desktop background image sorted...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he won't want to look at it through his telescope, though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he won't want to look at it through his telescope, though!

Why not...?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why not...?
    I'm guessing because if it's brighter than the moon it's bright enough to cause serious eye injury?

• Advertisement

yep, i've a fairly reasonable telescope (sadly underused), an 8 inch dobsonian, and the full moon is *painful* to look at through it.

yep, i've a fairly reasonable telescope (sadly underused), an 8 inch dobsonian, and the full moon is *painful* to look at through it.

He'll look through it and like it, dammit! And I'll have no patience for all this "Daddy my eyes hurt, I can't see, where are you Daddy" nonsense again. Youngsters these days, I ask you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

He'll look through it and like it, dammit! And I'll have no patience for all this "Daddy my eyes hurt, I can't see, where are you Daddy" nonsense again. Youngsters these days, I ask you.

I can't quite recall correctly but I think he should count himself lucky that his eyes hurt. Lots of things you look at through a telescope can blind you via intense invisible light acting on the cells inside your eye, particularly the fovea.
    Not trying to play the scaremonger, but make sure he's aware of proper safety when using it. (This applies more to lasers than anything else, but whatever, safety groucho got spoil your day.)

I can't quite recall correctly but I think he should count himself lucky that his eyes hurt. Lots of things you look at through a telescope can blind you via intense invisible light acting on the cells inside your eye, particularly the fovea.
    Not trying to play the scaremonger, but make sure he's aware of proper safety when using it. (This applies more to lasers than anything else, but whatever, safety groucho got spoil your day.)

Ah now, I was kidding. We're not Christians at Knock, you know. :p

He's probably a wee bit young for it (he's seven) so I keep himself and his sister well supervised when they use it (rottweilers are great). I was a bit worried they wouldn't like it (Daddy this is boooring) but the first time they looked at the half-moon they were jumping up and down shouting 'look at the circles! It's covered in circles!' Then they were asking me what they were, how they got there, etc. It was fun. Alas, the light pollution here is awful, and we get a lot of cloud, especially at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ah now, I was kidding. We're not Christians at Knock, you know. :p

He's probably a wee bit young for it (he's seven) so I keep himself and his sister well supervised when they use it (rottweilers are great). I was a bit worried they wouldn't like it (Daddy this is boooring) but the first time they looked at the half-moon they were jumping up and down shouting 'look at the circles! It's covered in circles!' Then they were asking me what they were, how they got there, etc. It was fun. Alas, the light pollution here is awful, and we get a lot of cloud, especially at this time of the year.

Aww, that's adorable. If possible don't tell them straight off tell them the answers let them try to reason their own causes for the circles, no matter how bizarre those causes or reasons get. :)

let them try to reason their own causes for the circles, no matter how bizarre those causes or reasons get. :)
    jesus put them there.

If possible don't tell them straight off tell them the answers let them try to reason their own causes for the circles, no matter how bizarre those causes or reasons get.

What an excellent idea! I must remember to do that next time.

jesus put them there.

and it's all your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

jesus put them there.

Ha! Reminds me of the time I had my youngest (who has ASD) and his friend (also ASD) in the back of the car. My boy says "Look at all the smoke" - me "looks like smoke doesn't it? What else could that be?" - friend "It's clouds!" - my boy "How did clouds get made?" - friend "God made them" - my boy "Why?"
    That's my boy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

here's a bishop talking about how the church invented hell to keep people in line.

a refreshing bit of honesty that would make religion a lot more palatable to me if it were more widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I just finished watching an interview with Adam Savage (from Mythbusters) by Kevin Pollak (from The Usual Suspects).

Pollak has a weekly interview available on iTunes. I saw another good one of Seth MacFarlane.
    There's about 150 in total.

Anyway, it was a brilliant interview and Savage is utterly amazing.
    I think he's one of the best exponents of critical thought and rationality in the world.
    I'd seriously recommend it.

Edit: Here's the youtube version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I just finished watching an interview with Adam Savage (from Mythbusters) by Kevin Pollak (from The Usual Suspects).

Pollak has a weekly interview available on iTunes. I saw another good one of Seth MacFarlane.
    There's about 150 in total.

Anyway, it was a brilliant interview and Savage is utterly amazing.
    I think he's one of the best exponents of critical thought and rationality in the world.
    I'd seriously recommend it.

Edit: Here's the youtube version

You couldn't post a link to the episode on iTunes, could you? I can't find it. The latest interview I see is Mark Valley, preceded by Tom Everett Scott, Bob Odenkirk and Phil Rosenthal. I don't know who any of those people are =/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Hard to say whether this is legit or not -- doesn't seem so -- but the point is valid all the same:

You couldn't post a link to the episode on iTunes, could you? I can't find it. The latest interview I see is Mark Valley, preceded by Tom Everett Scott, Bob Odenkirk and Phil Rosenthal. I don't know who any of those people are =/

If you subscribe to the podcast you'll get a list of all of the shows.
    You should have a "Podcasts" folder in Itunes, next to Music, Video, Radio on the top left (you might need to go in to preferences and check the "Podcasts" option so it appears in iTunes).

It's episode #99.
    There's a few other good episodes (probably lots but there's a good few actors that I'm not interested in or haven't heard of). There's one with Billy West (Buggs Bunny, Popeye, Fry, Zapp Brannigan etc. from Futurama) and John DiMaggio (Bender from Futurama), Seth MacFarlane, Paul Rudd, Eddie Izzard. 150 or so in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

If you subscribe to the podcast you'll get a list of all of the shows.
    You should have a "Podcasts" folder in Itunes, next to Music, Video, Radio on the top left (you might need to go in to preferences and check the "Podcasts" option so it appears in iTunes).

It's episode #99.
    There's a few other good episodes (probably lots but there's a good few actors that I'm not interested in or haven't heard of). There's one with Billy West (Buggs Bunny, Popeye, Fry, Zapp Brannigan etc. from Futurama) and John DiMaggio (Bender from Futurama), Seth MacFarlane, Paul Rudd, Eddie Izzard. 150 or so in total.

Thanks! I'd looked through the last twenty or so episodes and hadn't seen any sign of it. Did you know that you can click the arrow next to the "price" of the podcast in the episode list and it'll give you the option to copy the link directly to your clipboard?

NASA catches an effing enormous CME. On camera. In HD.

Words, etc, fail.

Why is nobody rioting about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    Hard to say whether this is legit or not -- doesn't seem so -- but the point is valid all the same:

More info on this:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/09/26/how-to-read-the-minds-of-strangers-just-by-using-facebook-video/

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Words, etc, fail.

Someones been messing with the summon materia?

Words, etc, fail.

Anyone know how much matter is actually ejected?

It must be like the mass of Jupiter or something.

Anyone know how much matter is actually ejected?
    A lot, but in astronomical terms, almost nothing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection#Physical_properties

A quick back of the envelope calculation shows that this is has about the same mass as a rock a little over 1km in diameter. Jupiter is about 10^15 times heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

http://io9.com/5948202/new-project-aims-to-upload-a-honey-bees-brain-into-a-flying-insectobot-by-2015
    Every once in a while, there's news which reminds us that we're living in the age of accelerating change. This is one of those times: A new project has been announced in which scientists at the Universities of Sheffield and Sussex are hoping to create the first accurate computer simulation of a honey bee brain — and then upload it into an autonomous flying robot.

Advertisement