Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online file storage

• 25-06-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭

Have 3 companies that are looking to share data ( word, excel ) between them for access. (Companies are in separate buildings and do not have connectivity to each other)

They used dropbox but it has no real user rights access so once a folder was shared to all then everyone could see everything in it, plus if 2 people edited a file at the same time it created conflicted copies.

So what are the other options? Rent space on a hosted server? Could this work with user rights?

I dont want the hassle of setting up my own server and then giving vpn access as its ongoing work, I would just like something that mimics a real F&P server but hosted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

There are a bunch of options here, assuming you aren't with Office 365 at the moment so wont be using their storage i would look at Citrix Sharefile. It has the ability to let you store the data on your own server and share it via the Sharefile App/Web Interface which works very similarly to Dropbox. This way you can back up the data within your own environment and still have full control over it. Lots of other nice features in Sharefile such as being able to request files from third parties, hooking it into Outlook so attachements are sent via Sharefile etc.
    jamesd wrote: »
    Have 3 companies that are looking to share data ( word, excel ) between them for access. (Companies are in separate buildings and do not have connectivity to each other)

They used dropbox but it has no real user rights access so once a folder was shared to all then everyone could see everything in it, plus if 2 people edited a file at the same time it created conflicted copies.

So what are the other options? Rent space on a hosted server? Could this work with user rights?

I dont want the hassle of setting up my own server and then giving vpn access as its ongoing work, I would just like something that mimics a real F&P server but hosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Google Apps for work. Really well rounded product at this point.

For some friends, I have set up Owncloud on a Linux box, rsyncing daily to a cheap vps for redundancy.

In work, we tend to steer towards Syncplity, cheaper than dropbox for business with a lot more admin features..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone have any opinions on OneDrive ? I'm currently using a private dropbox account with shared folders but it's not ideal & pricing on one drive seems very competitive

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone have any opinions on OneDrive ? I'm currently using a private dropbox account with shared folders but it's not ideal & pricing on one drive seems very competitive

OneDrive for Business offers something Dropbox don't - the ability to guarantee the regions in which your data will be held. Not always relevant, but eg for university research groups needing to store confidential medical research data it becomes quite important.

I haven't used it myself so can't comment on its performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

NoDrama wrote: »
    For some friends, I have set up Owncloud on a Linux box, rsyncing daily to a cheap vps for redundancy.
    Listen to this person ^^^^^ for they speak truth.

Owncloud is made of sheer win when you get the hang of it. Hosting has become cheap as chips (Digital Ocean are $60 a year for example), and if you can get your head around using your own box you’ll find plenty of uses for it.

Running you own Linux box might sound scary, but lots of hosters offer ‘one-click-installs’ and a raft of other tools that make life easy. Take the plunge.

In addition to Owncloud I’d recommend MediaWiki too. That’s the same software Wikipedia uses, and it’s awesome for collaboration.

Advertisement