Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone give me advice on modifyin my drum kit???

• 07-02-2005 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I recently got a pearl forum kit and was wonderin if any1 could give me advice on quality cymbals, drum heads etc. at an affordable price. :confused: All help appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

pearl cymbols are shi`t (i broke my friends) sabian cymbols are good, i think theres a deal on a hi hat, crash and china cymbols in music maker, also, remo heads are good for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

My cousin got a pair of hihats, a crash and a ride for 200 in Jeffers, Cork and they're pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

redkefka wrote:
    I recently got a pearl forum kit and was wonderin if any1 could give me advice on quality cymbals, drum heads etc. at an affordable price. :confused: All help appreciated. Cheers

I depends on your budget. Sabian are good cymbals, which I use myself but expensive. In fact most decent cymbal are expensive zildjian, paiste, meinl.

Have a look at your cash flow and go into musicmaker, waltons or intrumental and tell them what you want and what you got to spend. The're all pretty good and generally will send you home happy.
    Remo are really good skins. Pinstripe on the toms and ambassador on the snare. Bout €12 upwards per skin.
    Altenatively check out the internet, ebay, buyandsell, might not be new generally in good condition.
    This link is meant to be good
    http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_company_info_13.html
    SM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If you can, save and buy good gear periodiaclly than buying a load of **** gear in one swoop. Get a basic set-up together and then try and figure out a buget going forward. Don't buy a splash just because you can afford one unless you think you're going to get a lot of use out of it. Save up and buy the best quality snare, crash, hats and ride you can afford, because you'll be using them all the time.

Also, learn how to tune a drum well, that's probably the most important thing of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jessop

You should check out thomann. The can do very good deals on very good quality cymbal sets. As for what kind, ive used Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste in the past and would strongly recomend Paiste. They are generally better quality and can be slightly cheaper. Depends alot on what type of music youre playing though - Zildjian and Sabian cymbals are generally heavier and i find that Paiste generally have superior tonal quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

My cousin got a pair of hihats, a crash and a ride for 200 in Jeffers, Cork and they're pretty good
    These are... Zildjian ZBT's i think They threw in a boom cymbal stand also... And I got my EHX small stone phaser there for 70! Woo etc. Sorry for more off topicness

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Doctor J wrote:
    If you can, save and buy good gear periodiaclly than buying a load of **** gear in one swoop. Get a basic set-up together and then try and figure out a buget going forward. Don't buy a splash just because you can afford one unless you think you're going to get a lot of use out of it. Save up and buy the best quality snare, crash, hats and ride you can afford, because you'll be using them all the time.

Also, learn how to tune a drum well, that's probably the most important thing of all.

Have to agree with ya doc. Did exactly that, didnt save at all. Just bought what i could afford when i could without thinking of quality. Even bought a cow bell before a proper ride because the cow bell was only a tener!!!. Drove me mad when i started to get better and didnt have the quality i wanted. When i didnt get the sounds i wanted it kinda put me of playing a little because i thought it sounded bad.
    Was a student then, not now and have started to spend the money on good quality and periodically Now all i wanna do is play play play!!! Damn job. Ironic huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

How does one tune a drum kit properly? :confused:

Advertisement