Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 Irish open?

• 05-10-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Has the venue been announced yet? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

K Club, Palmer course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Thought it was Lough erne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

mike12 wrote: »
    Thought it was Lough erne

That's 2017, Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good that it's back on parkland.

Possible course for the society next season!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

It hasn't been announced yet. Looked like the K Club was going to be announced but hasn't been yet. Some say it's likely but others saying it's unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Wonder whose holding the trump card?....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

it will be in k club;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Think it is crazy having it on a parkland course. Visitors come here to play links courses, what better way to advertise them than 4 days on tv.

The Americans have hundreds of courses like the kclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

An event of that size does huge damage to the linksland, courses simply don't want it as it takes too long for the place to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Good point Mike12. l agree 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Top professionals if given a choice want to play parkland courses, we need to keep attracting the top players.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Links...Parkland...

I don't think that's a concern for 2016, finalising and announcing the venue would be a start.
    I don't think it's a major secret that the K Club have it but there is obviously something holding things back.
    You need to have the venue on the rota fairly sharpish to increase the chances of luring more than just the european tour regulars & Irish golfers.

Only in Ireland would you get the 2017 event announced nearly a year before the 2016 one.

Top professionals if given a choice want to play parkland courses, we need to keep attracting the top players.

Last year saw the Irish Open have it's highest rating (best field) of the modern era...since the big European players decided to play their golf on the PGA... so I don't think that's the case at all.

Rory played a big part so it can't be put down to links alone.
    While our parklands can be nice, similar or better can be found in most other countries. Its not a selling point for the top Pro's, a top links in the run up to The Open would be. But getting it on a links is not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Whatever about the links v parkland debate, I wold love to see back at Druids Glen for a year. Imagine how that would look in full bloom on HD. I know they were actively pursuing getting it back 2 years or so ago but not sure if that is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Rory announced via Facebook this morning that the Rory Foundation will be hosting the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open for next 3 year, starting with the K Club from 19-22nd May 2016

Prize money gone up to 4 million too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well it looks like it has been officially confirmed this morning for anyone who doubted it.

2016 will see the Irish Open played at the K-Club. Class, that's a week off work as it's only down the road, I'll see ya all there every day :)

video here, and probably on facebook and twitter and everywhere else by now :D
    http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=274201.html#f0Al3cDmpAdQ580q.97

haha, my pc froze, yis got there before me.

4million is a big pot... should drag a few big names in again

I'm going to go Thursday and Friday this year.. I want to see the host play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Partnered with Dubai Duty Free and the Rory Foundation for the next 3 years with a big bump in the purse for the K Club, sure to see some big names there.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/golf/2015/1012/734137-massive-boost-for-irish-open-prize-fund/

• Advertisement

it's amazing what can happen when 2 people get drunk together

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

PARlance wrote: »
    Last year saw the Irish Open have it's highest rating (best field) of the modern era...since the big European players decided to play their golf on the PGA... so I don't think that's the case at all.

Rory played a big part so it can't be put down to links alone.
    While our parklands can be nice, similar or better can be found in most other countries. Its not a selling point for the top Pro's, a top links in the run up to The Open would be. But getting it on a links is not easy.
    After experiencing the weather at this year's Open it will be interesting to see if any of the big names return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

After experiencing the weather at this year's Open it will be interesting to see if any of the big names return.

Was thinking the same myself. The Irish Open has been plagued by the weather for the last few years (fota excepted). Really hope we get a decent week next May, was very enviour of the British Masters last week, where they got 4 perfect days in October! Crap weather puts off the big players, no question. Would be amazed to see Garcia or Els play again, although fond Ryder Cup memories may attract the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great news.

And what we have been calling for.

An early announcement.
    A very big prize fund.

Not a fan of course -
    The Tax Exile owner

But logistically a good location.

Was thinking the same myself. The Irish Open has been plagued by the weather for the last few years (fota excepted). Really hope we get a decent week next May, was very enviour of the British Masters last week, where they got 4 perfect days in October! Crap weather puts off the big players, no question. Would be amazed to see Garcia or Els play again, although fond Ryder Cup memories may attract the former.

I think that, the Ryder Cup 10th Anniversary, is going to be the angle they work this year. And in particular the fact that Clarke is the current Captain and we all know what it meant to him 10 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they got a full strength RC panel from Europe.

Rickie & the Walker Cup connection etc worked well last year. It would be a big ask to get the likes over again but maybe some of the 2006 US team could be convinced imo.

Advertisement