Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Office Season 8 [NBC - Spoilers]

• 07-07-2011 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 84,329 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/06/james-spader-office/

It’s official: The employees of Dunder Mifflin are getting a new CEO and his name is Robert California.
    James Spader’s ultra-confident and sexually charged character featured briefly in the NBC hit’s May finale is set to join the cast of the show’s upcoming eighth season, NBC confirmed.
    “James will reprise his role as Robert California, this uber-salesman that has a power to convince and manipulate, like a high-class weirdo Jedi warrior,” said Paul Lieberstein, one of the series’ executive producers and a series regular. “He’ll have been hired over the summer as the new manager, but within hours, got himself promoted. Within days, he took over the company. James has an energy that is completely his own, and The Office has no tools for dealing with this guy. We’re thrilled he’s joining our cast.”
    NBC is set to announce the hire, adding a new well-known actor to the ensemble series that saw the departure of its biggest star, Steve Carell, this season, and will also say goodbye to recurring performer Kathy Bates as well. Bates played the company’s CEO last season, though Spader’s character is expected to have a greater presence on the show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

Thank god its not Catherine Tate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Spader joining the cast is very good news indeed :) Tate would of really been the death of the show imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/06/james-spader-office/

It’s official: The employees of Dunder Mifflin are getting a new CEO and his name is Robert California.
    James Spader’s ultra-confident and sexually charged character featured briefly in the NBC hit’s May finale is set to join the cast of the show’s upcoming eighth season, NBC confirmed.
    “James will reprise his role as Robert California, this uber-salesman that has a power to convince and manipulate, like a high-class weirdo Jedi warrior,” said Paul Lieberstein, one of the series’ executive producers and a series regular. “He’ll have been hired over the summer as the new manager, but within hours, got himself promoted. Within days, he took over the company. James has an energy that is completely his own, and The Office has no tools for dealing with this guy. We’re thrilled he’s joining our cast.”
    NBC is set to announce the hire, adding a new well-known actor to the ensemble series that saw the departure of its biggest star, Steve Carell, this season, and will also say goodbye to recurring performer Kathy Bates as well. Bates played the company’s CEO last season, though Spader’s character is expected to have a greater presence on the show

er so he's taking bates position, is he's not going to take Carell's position or is he going to run the whole company from the scranton office?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,329 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stephen Collins and Dee Wallace
    will be playing Andy's parents

• Registered Users Posts: 84,329 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Have to say I was very disappointed with the first episode. I cant see this show surviving without the Michael Scott character being in it. Anyway hopefully it gets better but on first appearance im not sure. Hopefully im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Yep, the first episode fell flat for me and is not a good sign of things to come.
    Andy of all people? Dwight could have made it funny in a ridiculous way, but now they have to rely on Fat Pam jokes and people falling off chairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I thought the episode was ok, fell flat in some places but had some funny moments. Spader is a good addition. Thought the scene with the two groups lining up and then Dwight shouting attack was hilarious.

It is going to take a while to see how this series develops, but at the moment they are missing Michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Disappointed with the first episode.

Andy is a limited character, not much comic potential in having him as California's number two.

California has potential but for a Season Premiere it was all very flat.

• Daryl would have made a much better boss than Andy. Or even Dwight. But Andy is just.. flat.

I think James Spader has good potential in the show, but there felt something off about it. Like it's just a shell of it's former self.

Really dislike the possibility of Stanley becoming a comic relief character.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Long time fan of the US Office, and I have to say I was very disappointed in the first episode of the new series. Hopefully it will pick up but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That was so bad. Andy!? For real?

The only funny part was Dwight lining everyone up and shouting "attack!"

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Wasn't that bad..there have been worse Scott era episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

It sort of feels like they are trying to change Andy into Michael, the speech at the end when he is defending his workmates sounded exactly like something Michael would say.

• Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    It sort of feels like they are trying to change Andy into Michael, the speech at the end when he is defending his workmates sounded exactly like something Michael would say.

Nowhere near! Michael would've delivered so much better - Ed Helms just doesn't shine a light on Steve Carrell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Nowhere near! Michael would've delivered so much better - Ed Helms just doesn't shine a light on Steve Carrell.

I wonder did they go with Ed Helms purely because of the commercial success of The Hangover and The Hangover 2? It good to have a Hollywood star fronting your TV show in the states, I only wonder this because the promotion character wise makes no sense.

Andy was the worse sales person in the Office, and a total goof, I can't see how he would get a promotion.

• lockie1983 wrote: »
    I wonder did they go with Ed Helms purely because of the commercial success of The Hangover and The Hangover 2? It good to have a Hollywood star fronting your TV show in the states, I only wonder this because the promotion character wise makes no sense.

Andy was the worse sales person in the Office, and a total goof, I can't see how he would get a promotion.

That's probably it! I genuinely can't see any other reason. Stanley would have made a bit more interesting boss - having to actually partake in meetings rather than his usual just sitting there with a crossword.

I don't have high hopes for the Office and may have to take it off my Friday morning viewing list.

Actually, I was just thinking, pre-anger management Andy would be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

lockie1983 wrote: »

Thats totally it.

That was easily the worst episode Ive ever seen, hate the new boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I disagree, I like Andy as the new boss. Pam is definitely very preggers. I also agree, nobody should be planking!

The show feels really weird without Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yeah Pam is fecking horrible now aswell, she was only good as eye candy because she definitely isn't funny or interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I disagree, I like Andy as the new boss. Pam is definitely very preggers. I also agree, nobody should be planking!

The show feels really weird without Michael.

Maybe it's because I remember some of his Daily Show stuff but I like Andy a lot. They need to do something with his character other than turn him into Micheal. There were some clear signs of them trying to do that to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

One of my favourite shows..

Relevant: http://www.qwertee.com/product/dwight-club/

• It's really peculiar that they did an entire episode dedicated to Phylis' wedding and then Pam and Jim's, but they only mentioned that Angela got married in passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Thought it was a very good episode and up there with many of them over the last number of years.
    Didn't miss Michael at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

I actually enjoyed the first episode. It had some funny moments and i forgot all about michael.
    I have always liked andy so I don't mind him getting the promotion even if, as mentioned, is a bit stupid considering his track record as a salesman.

Overall, I think it showed potential and some people seem to forget how stale this show had become.

It's really peculiar that they did an entire episode dedicated to Phylis' wedding and then Pam and Jim's, but they only mentioned that Angela got married in passing.

Possibly because they know the marriage isn't going to last because the husband is gay

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

There would've been plenty of material for that wedding episode, especially for Oscar.

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    There would've been plenty of material for that wedding episode, especially for Oscar.

Great point, I would have loved that idea.

I did read somewhere they're are trying to limit the number of episodes they do outside the office this season. But they could have come up with a storyline excuse like because he is a senator he didn't want a documentary crew filming him wedding, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Not a good episode at all this week, James Spader adds absolutely nothing and Andy is a rubbish boss.

• I somewhat enjoyed it actually - quite liked how they were all watching Andy get his ass tattooed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Andy saved the episode in the end, the way it started off with Kevin was cringe-worthy!
    The new episodes really do leave a sour taste in your mouth. It's worth to give some episodes from season 2 a go just to remind yourself how good the show actually used to be.

Advertisement