Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Encrypted email service?

• 06-10-2015 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good email providers who use encryption? As in, whatever I send or receive is changed from words to a jumble of impenetrable numbers whilst in transit, and returned to word format once opened by the recipient.

Are there any email providers out there who offer this? At least, who haven't been compromised by intelligence agencies?

It's not that I'm sending or receiving sensitive or illegal data, far from it. I just want to move away from Gmail, away from Google, and would prefer it if they and other such companies had as little data about me as possible. It's kind of unsettling how much they actually know about people.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

https://protonmail.ch

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Thanks a million for that! I read a few articles about it, I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. It has end-to-end encryption, doesn't sell data and they don't keep IP logs.

Gmail has been wrecking my head with their IP logging lately. Mind your own business like, if I decide to check my emails somewhere other than my home, there's no need to send me an email about it. I hate that they pretend to be concerned about my privacy, when all they're doing is compiling data and meta data.

ANYWAY, rant over. Cheers for the heads up about Protonmail, I have found a new email service provider!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Only downside is if you don't pay to support you'll wait a bit for your email address.

Haha yeah I just saw that when I signed up! I'm a broke student, so I'll wait the few weeks. Hopefully this time next year I'll be in a position to make a donation, I've no problems with that at all. Fair play to them, privacy is worth paying a few bob for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Have you looked at PGP/GPG?

GPG can be integrated into both Gmail and Outlook. Though it does make searching for emails difficult/impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

syklops wrote: »
    Have you looked at PGP/GPG?

GPG can be integrated into both Gmail and Outlook. Though it does make searching for emails difficult/impossible.

Good call syklops,

My worry about these encryption in a box solutions from e-mail providers is that in the nature of things the keys to encrypt/decrypt messages are kept on their own servers.

This led to an e-mail provider named Hushmail, founded by Phil Zimmerman who as you know invented PGP being able to cooperate with the Feds when they need to decrypt messages.

You are much better off encrypting/decrypting your messages offline using gpg. One very easy to use program is GPG4USB which is easy to set up, works in Linux and Windows and has a built in text editor so you can do everything from within the app.

Happy encrypting!

I'm a fairly tech savvy guy, but what exactly is PGP/GPG? Is it a software I install, like an extension to my current email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

jungleman wrote: »
    I'm a fairly tech savvy guy, but what exactly is PGP/GPG? Is it a software I install, like an extension to my current email?

Hi jungleman,

You're right in saying they're both extra software programs. Gpg is a free version of PGP but as I understand it there is a basic free version of pgp as well.

If you use an application to check your e-mails then there might be an extension you can install to integrate gpg. I know there is gpgmail for Mac and Thunderbird also has an extension named Enigmail. I believe there are plugins for Microsoft Outlook too.

If you're new to gpg probably best to work through the FAQ's here:

https://www.gnupg.org/faq/gnupg-faq.html#glossary

Let us/me know if you have any further questions! :)

Advertisement