Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World of Warships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Really? No wipe from open beta to go live? A whole bunch of elites being the top ships all the time until the next country ships line gets started.

How is that a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

BigEejit wrote: »
    Really? No wipe from open beta to go live? A whole bunch of elites being the top ships all the time until the next country ships line gets started.

How is that a good idea?

Maybe they're worried no one will be bothered starting again from scratch :P

Tbf, open beta may as well be go live in terms of player numbers. Open beta just lets them drop patches/changes when needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Speaking of the wipes and OBT....

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/cbt-rewards/

With 50 battles or more done in CBT, you'll get a free tier 4 battleship, the USS Arkansas.

Spear wrote: »

With 50 battles or more done in CBT, you'll get a free tier 8 battleship, the USS Arkansas.

Carriers need something to drop torpedoes on I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

With 50 battles or more done in CBT, you'll get a free tier 4 battleship, the USS Arkansas.
    Well that tipped the hat so to speak; dropped down 50 EUR for the big package to get more premium ships and give it a whirl. Still trying to get to grips with the aiming and how to best duke it out but we'll see. I did manage to unlock the tier 2 American destroyer which I'll give a spin in tonight. I like the idea of going in close for quick torpedo runs (which will probably end with me dying in a fire 7km out :P ).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've gone up the US cruiser line, which I'm liking. I'm at the Cleveland now, and they're a good balance of both mobility and simply pouring out the rounds. The ultimate end of the line, the Des Moines, appears to be a monstrous damage dealer.

Nody wrote: »
    Well that tipped the hat so to speak; dropped down 50 EUR for the big package to get more premium ships and give it a whirl. Still trying to get to grips with the aiming and how to best duke it out but we'll see. I did manage to unlock the tier 2 American destroyer which I'll give a spin in tonight. I like the idea of going in close for quick torpedo runs (which will probably end with me dying in a fire 7km out :P ).

I think the Jap destroyers are a better idea. It's much easier to balance your detection distance vs torp range. Get into some space and pick on battleships. It probably seems like fun in your head to get close to do a torp attack in a DD but in reality, once you get past the higher levels of noobs in the lower tiers you'll just get f*cked over by a volley of whatever you're targetting. I think US DD's are more suited to DD hunting. Get in close and use your guns.

Turns out the USS Arkansas ended it's days getting nuked at Bikini Atoll. Can't tell if that's oddly appropriate or foreboding.

https://www.humblebundle.com/twitche3?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=E3%202015%20Digital%20Ticket

The E3 Humble Bundle thing has a WoWS Beta key. Spend 1$ or so, play 50 matches, and get the tier 4 USS Arkansas CBT reward for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

"(NOTE: All codes are only usable on the World of Tanks and World of Warships North American server, but may be used by persons anywhere worldwide. Content is only accessible on the North American server.)"

• Advertisement

Aenaes wrote: »
    "(NOTE: All codes are only usable on the World of Tanks and World of Warships North American server, but may be used by persons anywhere worldwide. Content is only accessible on the North American server.)"

Damn it, I didn't see that part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Got my first Carrier (USA, all USA) and honestly it's OP as heck but I'm sure it will balance out later. Currently running 1 torpedo squad and one fighter squad focusing on incoming enemy torpedo squads while trying to sneak in runs on their battleships from odd angles. So far destroyers (USA again) for torpedo running has been both incredible fun and frustrating; for every perfect close torpedo salvo run I get through there are three more games I'll get killed from a distance no matter how I try to sneak around islands and do long range torpedo runs etc.

Told you so re USA DDs. Just not fun imo. It's more hit and miss but being able to be undetected at 6ishkm and having torps you can launch at 8km is better with Jap DD's if you target battleships. Just work in open space. It's a nice feeling to stay undetected and watch a ship suddenly try to take evasive manoeuvres but it's already too late for them.

Re the carrier if you haven't already, look at how to manually drop torps. Once you master it it makes carriers stupidly OP. Haven't played in a bit but I think in 2 more tiers it all gets a bit crap. I couldn't be bothered playing the line anymore, I think it's the Independence and it gets such a **** loadout it's no fun to play.

Told you so re USA DDs. Just not fun imo. It's more hit and miss but being able to be undetected at 6ishkm and having torps you can launch at 8km is better with Jap DD's if you target battleships. Just work in open space. It's a nice feeling to stay undetected and watch a ship suddenly try to take evasive manoeuvres but it's already too late for them.
    I'll need to start leveling up my Japanese lines for this :/ Only focused on American tree so far (Destroyer almost at tier 5, Carrier at 4, Battleship at 4, Cruiser at 3 almost 4).

QUOTE]Re the carrier if you haven't already, look at how to manually drop torps. Once you master it it makes carriers stupidly OP. Haven't played in a bit but I think in 2 more tiers it all gets a bit crap. I couldn't be bothered playing the line anymore, I think it's the Independence and it gets such a **** loadout it's no fun to play.[/QUOTE]Not done this yet but looked up the tutorials for it; time to seriously annoy people :P

WoWS OBT starts at the end of June.

WoWS OBT starts at the end of June.
    So need to get those 50 games in asap... Started up on the Japanese Destroyer line last night and it's camo is silly; I ended up in a 1 vs 1 game this morning due to lack of players (me tier 2 Jap. destroyer, him tier 3 Jap. destroyer) with one central cap point only. Both of us being in the cap circle and could not see each other until we got halfway through the circle :P

Time to see if I can get my Pensacola before the reset. At least I'll start off with a capable commander.

Jungles posted a good introduction video to WoW which anyone who want to play should have a look through before starting (inc. of when to use AP/HE etc.).

Also can confirm that Jap. torpedo destroyers are the most fun you can have in the game if you're idea of fun if you're a suicidal maniac like me (nothing like point blank torpedo runs on cruisers) :P

I appreciate Jingles is good at WoW and WoWs but **** me I can't stand his voice and I really REEEEEEEALLY can't stand that smug nerdy laugh of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I appreciate Jingles is good at WoW and WoWs but **** me I can't stand his voice and I really REEEEEEEALLY can't stand that smug nerdy laugh of his.

He's not that good but has a few things going for his as a youtuber. He's easly to understand, doesn't shout or stutter and his volume is set correctly. It amazing how many people cant get tbe basics right.

• Advertisement

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/open-beta-announcement/

There's the rewards for battles played that'll be given with the wipe that's coming. Looks like things are finalized and the 0.4.0 build is to be the OBT one.

And here comes the beta nerfs :)
    As we bring in the first stage of the Unified Premium Account, tech tree progression will be aligned with other WarGaming titles. You will notice increases to credit and XP costs, of both ships and their modules, as well as to upgrades – by a factor of between 2 and 3.5, on average.
    But the combined premium account will be nice.

And here comes the beta nerfs :)

But the combined premium account will be nice.

Progression on the lower tiers was ridicliously fast. I cleared a tier 3 in two or three games.

Yeah, well makes sense that progression was made easier, they want people testing the the high tiers.

I'll be playing this during Open Beta. For anyone playing WoT and WoWS it does make premium account cheaper.

Access is temporarily open to non-testers to play, prior to the full OBT starting.

And you get to keep your progress; should unlock tier 4 Jap. destroyers later today along with tier 3 US Battleships (I really want my Carriers back for the "Shoot down X number of planes" daily quests).

What's the main difference between US and Jap. Battleships & Carriers? I'm simply going down US side for everything but Destroyers out of habit (and I'm likely to return to unlock the other side down the line anyway).

And you get to keep your progress; should unlock tier 4 Jap. destroyers later today along with tier 3 US Battleships (I really want my Carriers back for the "Shoot down X number of planes" daily quests).

What's the main difference between US and Jap. Battleships & Carriers? I'm simply going down US side for everything but Destroyers out of habit (and I'm likely to return to unlock the other side down the line anyway).

Jap carriers have more squads and less planes. Japs also can have more torp squads. Look at the loadout on later ships and see which you prefer. For me thats what my choice came down to. Everything else not so important.

I havent got to much into jap battleships but from what I hear they have better range but less accuracy where Americans manoeuvre better. The random number of damage for hits on slow reloading BS guns has some people put off battleships all together. It can make a 1v1 more luck than skill.

Generally speaking (I haven't played BBs much), US are more maneuverable, but slower. Japanese are faster, but can have odd gun arrangements, often with more turrets in the rear instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

*runs in crying* Secondary armament is poo-poo on the BB's

• Advertisement

I started playing Saturday night. It's fun and addictive, reminds of WoT when I first started playing it.

Platoons/divisions are great fun and kinda OP. :D

Advertisement