Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another name on the PED Banned list,Dominguez,

• 20-11-2015 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

Looks like Marta's past finally caught up with here,

Even if the Spanish AF, of which she vice-president had previously cleared her in 2014

www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/34873287

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ceepo wrote: »
    Looks like Marta's past finally caught up with here,

Even if the Spanish AF, of which she vice-president had previously cleared her in 2014

www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/34873287

Scumbag did Sonia out of a gold medal at the 2002 Europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Scumbag did Sonia out of a gold medal at the 2002 Europeans.

I remember it well !

• Registered Users Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She did Sonia out of nothing. That was back in 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yea of course because dopers always get caught the first time the use.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Yea of course because dopers always get caught the first time the use.

Not necessarily. In 2002 there is no eveidence to suggest that she did Sonia out of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

I love this story cos not only has this cheater finally been nailed, but she was removed from the party list that she was going to be on for the upcoming Spanish elections. She was removed about 12 hours before the finding of the CAS hearing. I can see the email now.........

walshb wrote: »
    Not necessarily. In 2002 there is no eveidence to suggest that she did Sonia out of anything.

I suppose you say the same about Michelle Smith's 1996 medals, as she wasn't busted until 18 months later!

Having said all that, Sonia still should have won that race. It was a rare tactical slip up on her part. She kicked far too early and ran out of gas in the last 40m. If she'd have waited a bit more she'd have won this race. Same in Sydney Olympics to be honest, she should have stayed behind Szabo and waited until the straight, rather than trying to go around her on the bend. Easy to say all this in hindsight of course.

Sonia was 32/33 then and beating drugs cheats, bar the poor tactics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sonia only wrote about this topic yesterday or the day before, I didn't see the article mentioned so apologies if it was already posted.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/sonia-o-sullivan-many-countries-have-sub-standard-drug-testing-1.2435084

Maybe not but in the future i would love to see that if your caught that all records times and medals are taken away.

• Advertisement

Maybe not but in the future i would love to see that if your caught that all records times and medals are taken away.

She was filthy back then. Went out in the heats in Sydney 2000, yet the next year she gets silver in Worlds behind Yegerova, who we all know was juiced.

She was at her prime back in 2002 aged 27 or so. Sonia was trailing off at aged 32/33. I place Sonia in the same bracket as Bolt and some others as regards my belief in their integrity. But, this whole PEDs issue according to many is a case of "not ever tested positive" mean little. Sonia has never tested positive. This athlete has a drugs ban from recently. She never tested positive back in 2002. One could easily place suspicion on Sonia when taking this scenario. We need to be consistent. How was Sonia (aged 32/33) competing and practically beating Martha, if Martha, in her prime, was on the juice?

There needs to be consistency with all athletes. Martha may have been doping in 2002, but so may Sonia. The only difference between the two is Martha's later doping issues. That is all. It's an extra black mark against her.

BTW, has Sonia ever beaten Yegerova? Would that be suspicious? Martha finished "behind" Yegerova in 2001. So she flopped in Sydney in 2000. Big deal. That never happened to an elite athlete before? Many many greats have had bad days and bad events.

That is something I would not disagree too much on. Caught once and your whole career is thrown out. It's harsh, but may be needed.

The main point is that just because you cheated today, does not mean that you were always cheating, or that you will continue to cheat. Martha may well be in the category of not cheating in the early noughties.

That is something I would not disagree too much on. Caught once and your whole career is thrown out. It's harsh, but may be needed.

The main point is that juts because you cheated today, does not mean that you were always cheating, or that you will continue to cheat Martha may well be in the category of not cheating in the early noughties.
    yep I agree there, but it does already cast huge shadow over everything that she ever did. But if you know the rule when you come into the sport that if you dope once everything is thrown out you might think twice.

She was at her prime back in 2002 aged 27 or so. Sonia was trailing off at aged 32/33. I place Sonia in the same bracket as Bolt and some others as regards my belief in their integrity. But, this whole PEDs issue according to many is a case of "not ever tested positive" mean little. Sonia has never tested positive. This athlete has a drugs ban from recently. She never tested positive back in 2002. One could easily place suspicion on Sonia when taking this scenario. We need to be consistent. How was Sonia (aged 32/33) competing and practically beating Martha, if Martha, in her prime, was on the juice?

There needs to be consistency with all athletes. Martha may have been doping in 2002, but so may Sonia. The only difference between the two is Martha's later doping issues. That is all. It's an extra black mark against her.

BTW, has Sonia ever beaten Yegerova? Would that be suspicious? Martha finished "behind" Yegerova in 2001. So she flopped in Sydney in 2000. Big deal. That never happened to an elite athlete before? Many many greats have had bad days and bad events.

Not every athlete has equal ability. It is easily plausible for a clean athlete to beat a doped athlete. Simple example: If I started juicing up, would I win the Irish 400m title next year? Not a hope in hell of getting within 6 seconds of it.

Simply put, Sonia was a far better runner than Dominguez. Her doping merely closed the gap between the 2 of them.

And no way was she winning 2 World Silvers and a European gold clean and then thinks "hmmm, maybe now I will risk all that I have earned through honest means, to win an Olympic medal which has so far eluded me".

GET...OUT...OF...IT.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not every athlete has equal ability. It is easily plausible for a clean athlete to beat a doped athlete. Simple example: If I started juicing up, would I win the Irish 400m title next year? Not a hope in hell of getting within 6 seconds of it.

Simply put, Sonia was a far better runner than Dominguez. Her doping merely closed the gap between the 2 of them.

And no way was she winning 2 World Silvers and a European gold clean and then thinks "hmmm, maybe now I will risk all that I have earned through honest means, to win an Olympic medal which has so far eluded me".

GET...OUT...OF...IT.

I am aware that clean athltes can and do beat cheats. Talent and ability and hard work are very important.

Anyway, why are you so sure that Sonia was better, and the only reason that Martha was close or equal in 2002 was down to drugs? Could it not be said that Martha was prime then, and Sonia was in the decline, hence the closesness? That not something that close the gap?

<snip>

Martha's PBs are all from the early nougties. Her times are very close to Sonia's. Martha was always a world class athlete. Her beating a 32/33 year old Sonia whilst she (Martha) was close to her prime is not at all alarming. Plus, the time in that race in 2002 euros was nothing close to speacial.

Your such certaintly with all this is daft!

I am aware that clean athltes can and do beat cheats. Talent and ability and hard work are very important.

Anyway, why are you so sure that Sonia was better, and the only reason that Martha was close or equal in 2002 was down to drugs? Could it not be said that Martha was prime then, and Sonia was in the decline, hence the closesness? That not something that close the gap?

<snip>

Martha's PBs are all from the early nougties. Her times are very close to Sonia's. Martha was always a world class athlete. Her beating a 32/33 year old Sonia whilst she (Martha) was close to her prime is not at all alarming. Plus, the time in that race in 2002 euros was nothing close to speacial.

<snip>

Your such certaintly with all this is daft!
    Lets hope tests don't go back that far :)

Advertisement