Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 10th April '16

• 28-10-2015 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭

There appears to be some interest from a few here in doing this and seeing i've commited to it myself lets see who else will come out of the woodwork post DCM to target this as there Spring marathon. Knowledge from previous Rotterdam runners would be greatly appreciated. Its flat as flat can be, cheap to get to and accommodation is more than reasonable. Can someone who is more tech savvy than me link the website and previous threads on Rotterdam to this please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Was thinking of Rotterdam for my 2nd marathon, did Dublin on Monday. I'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks once the high from Dublin wears off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Thread for the last two years:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057122440

2013:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81536017

2012:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056413313

2011:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69839056

Considering it for a spring marathon at the minute if I'm going to do one. Will play it by ear over the next few weeks and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Price goes up after October 31 (admittedly only by €7.50)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

I'm considering doing Rotterdam, flights to Amsterdam are really good value at the minute, 35 - 40 euro each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm very interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

also quite interested in this......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Did last year, cracking race. Weather can be a factor.
    There's a few short uphills under the bridges. Flew to Amsterdam and train down day before. Accommodation was a little tougher, ended up a bit further out. We were beside the Metro though and public transport is excellent.
    Good night after and flew back following day. Got Sub 3, which was the main goal. Lot of Irish doing it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Flights around €85 at moment. When are they likely to start going up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'd say you're safe enough. Went to Amsterdam recently and the prices didn't fluctuate all that much, and I kept an eye on it for 3/4 months. And that was before Ryanair announced they were covering the route too, so if anything the prices might drop a little in time I'd say.

• Advertisement

I'm in, haven't done an oversea marathon yet so why not for a change, not too many better places to run fast:). Will try and book things over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Oh this could be fffuuuuuunnnnnnn!!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Oh this could will be fffuuuuuunnnnnnn!!!!

FYP, PMA Tang, PMA

And... entered.

Anyone know what the story is with the starting pens? I selected one, it says "send proof!" beside it, but there was no option to put in my current time, and no mention of it in the confirmation email

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

28064212 wrote: »
    And... entered.

Anyone know what the story is with the starting pens? I selected one, it says "send proof!" beside it, but there was no option to put in my current time, and no mention of it in the confirmation email

I moved up a pen last year , just sent them an email with link to result on precision timing. They were happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Seems to be a lot doing this, prob going to head over too if i can get fit again. But at least planing the trip to watch.

RuMan wrote: »
    I moved up a pen last year , just sent them an email with link to result on precision timing. They were happy enough.

Was that a previous Marathon result or do they accept half marathon times to do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I'm in

Was that a previous Marathon result or do they accept half marathon times to do you know?
    Marathon only, according to the website: http://www.nnmarathonrotterdam.org/runners/runnersinfo/#faq-11530

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll probably do this too. I don't seem to be able to focus on training unless i have a marathon looming!!!

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll probably do this too. I don't seem to be able to focus on training unless i have a marathon looming!!!

Good stuff, yourself and TbL can race each other to sub 3's so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

They've accepted half times before.

If you are sub 3, the C pen is your best bet, you line up on the opp side of the road as to the elites, but don't merge for a couple of k, so you've a nice run out and can be across the line in less than 10 seconds.

Good stuff, yourself and TbL can race each other to sub 3's so.

Well....fook you tang! Some belief you have in me!:pac:

Well....fook you tang! Some belief you have in me!:pac:

There's history with TbL and meno on who will sub 3 first so what better than a straight out race between them in Rotterdam. And every faith in you running alongside them.

From the FAQ section on the website:

Advice for after the run
    1.Drink a lot
    2. Also in the days that follow walk regularly and drink more
    4. Directly after the finish it is sensible to drink lots

:pac:

Firedance wrote: »
    From the FAQ section on the website:

Advice for after the run
    1.Drink a lot
    2. Also in the days that follow walk regularly and drink more
    4. Directly after the finish it is sensible to drink lots

:pac:

Course you would pick up on that!!! Sure alcohol is 90% water........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

What post code did ye use to register? My eircode doesnt work

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is that a joke?

Just use your actual postcode or county or make one up. Eircodes are not real postcodes.

leave it blank, it doesn't seem to recognise Irish post codes in any form.

• Advertisement

Eircodes are not real postcodes.
    ? They're the Irish national post code system. But websites have to be updated to allow for them, and most haven't been.

As Firedance says, just leave it blank. Despite showing it as a required field, it won't accept anything if you select Ireland

Advertisement