Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starvin Marvin....

• 22-09-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

What do ye do for those days when you just seem to be hungry all day?

I started off okay, but since I've come home I've been SO hungry.

Ate a chicken breast, heap of veg & 2 roast potatoes for dinner, stewed a cooking apple with a sprinkle of sugar for after, went for a 4km walk and came home & just ate some cornflakes & granola!!! :0(

(Today was my first piece of exercise in about 6 months!!! >-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

3 words.. Drink more Water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Eat loads of veg.
    Drink loads of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

One option is loading up on foods practically solely made up of protein and/or fibre.

A better option, I think, is eat what you usually eat until your full. You seem to be eating 'good' foods. One day out of a week isn't going to damage your diet and can be beneficial. Diet breaks are very beneficial to long term diets but generally only if they're planned. It's when you get hungry and eat penguin bars till you can't move that damage starts.

There's loads of psychological and physiological benefits to upping the calories every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

One option is loading up on foods practically solely made up of protein and/or fibre.

A better option, I think, is eat what you usually eat until your full. You seem to be eating 'good' foods. One day out of a week isn't going to damage your diet and can be beneficial. Diet breaks are very beneficial to long term diets but generally only if they're planned. It's when you get hungry and eat penguin bars till you can't move that damage starts.

There's loads of psychological and physiological benefits to upping the calories every so often.

Yesterday was a good day, I'm not always that good and some days can't resist so if it all possible when there's a tiwnkle of will power I try to resist the junk!

I ended up eating 2 choccie biccies and a pint of miwadi! Could have been worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

madma wrote: »
    3 words.. Drink more Water

Two things that I always have around house in case "emergency hunger" - apples and water.

I just buy those 5 liter water bottles and got a glass near by when I am at pc. If I start feeling hungry outside of my meals, I just grab an apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Two things that I always have around house in case "emergency hunger" - apples and water.

I just buy those 5 liter water bottles and got a glass near by when I am at pc. If I start feeling hungry outside of my meals, I just grab an apple.

im a tap water person bar work where theres a cooler, but drink tons daily and it really helps with the hunger cravings. up until a few years ago i overate but wished i had upped my water intake. the odd coffee helps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Being more active can help too. Easy to overeat when you're at home doing nothing.

I do need to drink more water. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

papu wrote: »
    Eat loads of veg.
    Drink loads of water.
    This is what I do. I drink alot of Crystal light and plain water and I like broccoli with tomatoes sprinkled with apple cider vinegar and a very little bit of olive oil, salt,pepper and season to taste. Then go to bed a lil early, lol. It works.

Also a neat trick I found is brushing my teeth, I often lose the taste for food after that for a while and the crazy urge passes.

- Lee

Apples and pineapples always make me hungrier, maybe it's just my weird body chemistry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Lee_Torre wrote: »
    Apples and pineapples always make me hungrier, maybe it's just my weird body chemistry.
    Not just you, apples always seem to make me hungrier too.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Not just you, apples always seem to make me hungrier too.
    Yup, I always regret eating them. Veggies fill me up better. I think it's the sugar in the apples that gets my body revved for more food.

Dont know, apples work perfectly for me. I have one between breakfast and dinner as a snack if I really hungry after my walk. It always does it for me. It is completely drowned in water though! :D

Try lidl green apples. Those are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Dont know, apples work perfectly for me. I have one between breakfast and dinner as a snack if I really hungry after my walk. It always does it for me. It is completely drowned in water though! :D

Try lidl green apples. Those are great!

When you say "between breakfast and dinner" do you mean you have one apple for lunch every day?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    When you say "between breakfast and dinner" do you mean you have one apple for lunch every day?

Well, I don't really have such thing as lunch anymore. I eat biggish breakfast ( 3 boiled eggs and smoked salmon) at 8:30 if I am at work or as soon as I wake up on day off. Work or day off I go for my 5.2 miles walk and if I feel really hungry after, then I eat an apple. Thing is I don't eat it every day. My dinner is always at 16:00-17:00 and it's the last food I get on that day. Unless I am up for a long session by Pc. I will eat an apple again. I have not had a coffee or tea since I got in to this eating habit. Just lots of water water water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well, I don't really have such thing as lunch anymore. I eat biggish breakfast ( 3 boiled eggs and smoked salmon) at 8:30 if I am at work or as soon as I wake up on day off. Work or day off I go for my 5.2 miles walk and if I feel really hungry after, then I eat an apple. Thing is I don't eat it every day. My dinner is always at 16:00-17:00 and it's the last food I get on that day. Unless I am up for a long session by Pc. I will eat an apple again. I have not had a coffee or tea since I got in to this eating habit. Just lots of water water water.

Slightly off-topic....... you must eat a big portion of smoked salmon and a massive dinner in order to have enough energy for the day?

Slightly off-topic....... you must eat a big portion of smoked salmon and a massive dinner in order to have enough energy for the day?

Well, Its big enough. I think. 3 boiled eggs + 70g of smoked salmon ( I get a 200g packed and that does me for 3 days ). Sometimes just 3 boiled eggs on its own with some salt and pepper.
    My dinner was the same for last 2 months ( I know sad, but I still loving it and looking forward to it each time ), which is 3 medium chicken thighs with no skin + salad ( 2 tomatoes, 1/3 cucumber, half red onion, some feta cheese and a spoon of sour cream ).

Now, by no means I am saying its a good way to eat, but it works for me and it keeps me away from picking away. Having no snacks and "dirty" food around helps too.

Well, Its big enough. I think. 3 boiled eggs + 70g of smoked salmon ( I get a 200g packed and that does me for 3 days ). Sometimes just 3 boiled eggs on its own with some salt and pepper.
    My dinner was the same for last 2 months ( I know sad, but I still loving it and looking forward to it each time ), which is 3 medium chicken thighs with no skin + salad ( 2 tomatoes, 1/3 cucumber, half red onion, some feta cheese and a spoon of sour cream ).

Now, by no means I am saying its a good way to eat, but it works for me and it keeps me away from picking away. Having no snacks and "dirty" food around helps too.

You sound VERY disciplined and that's not an amount of food I could function on.

Need my 3 meals a day!

That sounds like very little food to be surviving on.. It's not just low carb, it's low everything! As someone who has been in the same situation, you'd want to make sure your body doesn't start fighting weight loss. If your body thinks there's a famine it will fight you all the way and make weight loss extremely difficult. It's one of the most common mistakes people make. You don't have to go hungry to lose weight..

Nobody ever got fat eating vegetables. Eat tonnes of those.

That sounds like very little food to be surviving on.. It's not just low carb, it's low everything! As someone who has been in the same situation, you'd want to make sure your body doesn't start fighting weight loss. If your body thinks there's a famine it will fight you all the way and make weight loss extremely difficult. It's one of the most common mistakes people make. You don't have to go hungry to lose weight..

Nobody ever got fat eating vegetables. Eat tonnes of those.

I dont know. Surely it's not that low. I never counted calories, but it's still a good chunk per day. I don't feel starving too. After I eat my dinner, I just can't eat anything else. Even when I go to bed I still feel stuffed.
    I want to reach my goal in weight and after that I will be a little bit less strict with my food.
    The hardest days are when I work 11h shifts,10-9. To make it worse, I am a chef and I am surrounded by food!

• Advertisement

I dont know. Surely it's not that low. I never counted calories, but it's still a good chunk per day. I don't feel starving too. After I eat my dinner, I just can't eat anything else. Even when I go to bed I still feel stuffed.
    I want to reach my goal in weight and after that I will be a little bit less strict with my food.
    The hardest days are when I work 11h shifts,10-9. To make it worse, I am a chef and I am surrounded by food!

Unless I'm missing something it's seriously/unhealthily low! I'm speaking from many years of experience, your body will not let you lose weight as easily if it thinks you are starving. it gets harder with time.

It's the greatest machine ever made.

Unless I'm missing something it's seriously/unhealthily low! I'm speaking from many years of experience, your body will not let you lose weight as easily if it thinks you are starving. it gets harder with time.

It's the greatest machine ever made.

Well, I am still losing about 4-5lbs each week right now, it was more before and it did slowed down. I lost in total 3.6 stone in 9 weeks.
    I did got a lot more work lately, so unfortunately I manage to do only 5 walks per week now.

Well, I am still losing about 4-5lbs each week right now, it was more before and it did slowed down. I lost in total 3.6 stone in 9 weeks.
    I did got a lot more work lately, so unfortunately I manage to do only 5 walks per week now.

3.6 stone,in 9 weeks?

That's unhealthy.

I think there are healthier attitudes towards food out there and that's what I am aiming for.

3.6 stone,in 9 weeks?

That's unhealthy.

I think there are healthier attitudes towards food out there and that's what I am aiming for.

Each to its own.

I don't know how unhealthy it is, but I know that I feel fantastic and I have not felt so great for at least 5 years.
    I used to come back from morning shifts and go to sleep as I was exhausted, but now I come back from even longer shifts and I go for 5.2mile walks and then do other normal day to day tasks.
    I am doing 11h shifts with no breaks and I am feeling good. Before I started this I would have been exhausted and completely useless.

3.6 stone!! That's incredible. I wasn't trying to knock you and fair play for sticking to a strict diet like that. There isn't many people who could do that! A chef no less too..

;)

I don't think 11 hour shifts with no break is good either, neither do I think any of that is sustainable. But good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How much of that was muscle you lost ShadowHearth?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    How much of that was muscle you lost ShadowHearth?

By my rough estimate, it's about 23kg of muscle I lost.

By my rough estimate, it's about 23kg of muscle I lost.

So all the weight you've lost was muscle???? :confused:

• Advertisement

So all the weight you've lost was muscle???? :confused:

Yup, I am systematically focusing my muscles and injecting fat.

When I did my very first 3mil walk I was laying on flour and I though I will die. Took me at least half an hour to get my shot together.
    I do 5.2 miles of fast paced walking with running sections almost daily. Then go to shower and go on doing normal day to day stuff. Like any normal human being.

I guess increased stamina, strength, endurance is a clear sign of me destroying my muscles. Not losing fat.

Just I'm case, That previous post was sarcastic.

Advertisement