Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice on this quickly

• 30-05-2012 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

My roommates and i split all the bill i put the rent in my name the other lad took the gas and another took the electricity we never set the gas up but the idiot of a roommate has left the house now with a bill from the gas company for a deposit overdue we have never had gas or ever tried to use it everything in the house is electric the gas bill is in his name will me and the other roommate lose our deposit because of this? need quick feedback thanks guys ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

My roommates and i split all the bill i put the rent in my name the other lad took the gas and another took the electricity we never set the gas up but the idiot of a roommate has left the house now with a bill from the gas company for a deposit overdue we have never had gas or ever tried to use it everything in the house is electric the gas bill is in his name will me and the other roommate lose our deposit because of this? need quick feedback thanks guys ;)

I don't really understand. Is the bill for gas? Do you have gas in the house? I don't understand how you could have a gas bill if you never set it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

your post is a bit confussing, I think what your saying is that you dont use the gas but there is a gas bill in one of housemates name who has now left and your worried about loosing a deposit you put down to rent where your living because of the gas bill??

if this is right then the answer is no your lease and the gas are two seperate things

regardless of if you use the gas or not once an account is set up they send you out a bill looking for a deposit - the only way to not pay the deposit is to set up a standing order to pay the gas bill

If the room mate has left your best bet is to either ignore the gas company or ring them and tell them you are new tenants as from yesterday and want to set up an account, give them a reading from the meter as well

if you say to them that you where living there with the previous tenant who has the bill in their name they will not deal with you and will keep looking to talk to the bill named person (silly I know believe me been there and done that and havent a hair on my head left due to tearing it out dealing with them :D).....so best to start afresh with them your a brand new tenant and didnt know the last guy, and set up a standing order that way you have no deposit to be paid and if you say you never use the gas anyway then you will never have a bill so no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

Basically he set the account up with the gas company but we wore supposed to pay a deposit firstly by direct debit before the gas was turned on and then it the direct debit time limit went and then it was to be paid by giro and was still never paid so now we have a bill for the deposit that needs to be paid and we are moving out next week hes gone and not answering any of our phone call im just wondering will this affect us because it in his name and we havent actually used any gas like cause it was never turned on ha the gas was never turned on there for we never used the gas the bill is for like the deposit and what ever extra charges on top tax etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Basically he set the account up with the gas company but we wore supposed to pay a deposit firstly by direct debit before the gas was turned on and then it the direct debit time limit went and then it was to be paid by giro and was still never paid so now we have a bill for the deposit that needs to be paid and we are moving out next week hes gone and not answering any of our phone call im just wondering will this affect us because it in his name and we havent actually used any gas like cause it was never turned on ha the gas was never turned on there for we never used the gas the bill is for like the deposit and what ever extra charges on top tax etc

just ignore it, the company are only looking for a deposit to set up an account and since your moving out next week why would you set up an account now, even it you did do you know what a nightmare it would be trying to get the deposit back?? you would have to wait until a bill is issued then ring and cancel the account and all this would happen while your not living there so no dont pay the deposit and dont stress, when the next tenants move in they can set up the account themselves and no you are not leaving them to deal with any sh*t either

best of luck on the move and stop stressing

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

Thank you guys i was stressing ha now all i have to do is make sure the house is perfect and they have nothing to complain about ha :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

No need to worry, there is no gas account if deposit wasn't paid. The bill for the deposit is not like an unpaid electricity bill.

Advertisement