Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wicklow Gaol 2012

• 18-01-2012 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

just wondering would anyone recommend a work night out to wicklow gaol. thinking of organising something. i was looking at their website and they have a couple of tours. can anyone give me any feedback on the night tours and the paranormal investigation tour. oh and ha anyone had dinner in it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I brought a group of archaeologists there once for a night tour and dinner. It was great crack. The paranormal end of it was very corny but everyone enjoyed it puls the food wasn't too bad. I'm not sure what the price is now but I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Was down there a few years ago for a work night, the tour was good and they have challanges that you can break up into groups and compete against each other, the pub afterwards nearbyu was great too...

A Work night out , i would say a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Paramad

You'll find no Ghosts there , only an eccentric medium whose so called "powers" are constantly under scrutiny in a negative light . The Gaol itself isn't even the original Gaol .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Going there on Saturday night, but not for dinner and drinks going for a paranormal investigation night.... we will see what happens.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Paramad wrote: »
    You'll find no Ghosts there , only an eccentric medium whose so called "powers" are constantly under scrutiny in a negative light . The Gaol itself isn't even the original Gaol .

I think I've mentioned this on here before, but my cousin and her friends were up there a good while back and, the morning afterwards, my cousin said she was complaining about how the place wasn't active/haunted at all. The others were saying they saw a red light and a tall black shadow of a man in a doorway. I think there were about 7 other people in that cell with them as well who were screeching about seeing the light and shadow too, but my cousin said she couldn't see/sense anything.

One thing they agreed on - touching on your point, Paramad - was that they weren't too enamoured with the mediumship side of things during the investigation..

Anyway, later that day, my cousin listened back to a dictaphone recording she made on the night and, after about an hour of hearing nothing remarkable, there was suddenly a man shouting for help. According to her and the others, there wasn't any man who suddenly shouted for help in any of the cells with them during the night. She said she would definitely have remembered something as notable as that.

I heard her recording and there's an echo from the shout, suggesting it comes from within the cell, and another thing is that you can't hear anyone remarking on the shout when it happens. They just carry on talking as if nothing was said. It was very strange, tbh.

I suppose it'd be worth trying out the overnight investigation and focusing hard on your own perceptions throughout, independent of the usual over-excitable types.

Have to admit, I am not over-enamoured with the idea of going, I didn't book it, but had it sprung on me last minute. I have had a few experiences, I'm not going into them now for fear of being called a looney, I will be delighted if I see, hear and experience nothing, but I do believe in a spirit world of some kind or other, so we shall see, However, I look at photos, and I can never see the face in the photo, or the shadow that everyone else can see, but I can sense things other people don't and I usually say nothing cause I don't like to scare people.

screamer wrote: »
    Have to admit, I am not over-enamoured with the idea of going, I didn't book it, but had it sprung on me last minute. I have had a few experiences, I'm not going into them now for fear of being called a looney, I will be delighted if I see, hear and experience nothing, but I do believe in a spirit world of some kind or other, so we shall see, However, I look at photos, and I can never see the face in the photo, or the shadow that everyone else can see, but I can sense things other people don't and I usually say nothing cause I don't like to scare people.

If your experiences concern a ghost/ghosts, you can always post about them in the 'Ghosts- What are your experiences?' thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054896242 That thread tends to be an abuse-free zone. It's just somewhere where people's ghostly experiences can be added for providence sake.

BTW, I also believe there's some spirit world of some kind in existence - or maybe just parallel worlds - but I'm not aware of it every single day. I can't say I ever notice anything (otherworldly) that others don't while I'm talking to them or whatever. Probably because I tend to focus fully on the other person and what they're saying. Your own experiences seem very interesting though.

You should head along to the jail for the craic and just be open to what could, or could not, happen. The main 'opportunities' for possibly experiencing something will probably be inside the cells, where they all sit down in darkness.

Let us know how it goes and if you experienced anything interesting. smile.gif

Well, I shall post here what I experienced, not very much TBH, the medium was not there, that was good, I'm not into mumbo jumbo, there were a group who claimed to be mediums on the tour, but TBH, I just felt it was hysteria and nothing more. I felt no presences, no bad vibes, just nothing, exactly what I'd expect, as what sort of a spirit would want to hang around in such a place? Anyways, as I said, table tipping, medium visions, glass moving yada yada, subliminal messaging to me. I did some EMF stuff, and I was talking in Irish, and there seemed to be more interaction than when talking English, that was interesting. I did feel cold blasts, but sure it's an old prison, you're sitting on the floor, the granite floor. We heard some footsteps and scratching, but not knowing where the other groups were located, it was not possible to say these were paranormal. I did think I saw a green light, but then, the meter was on the floor and it could just have been the light bouncing around my eyes. I saw no shadows, heard no moans or groans, felt no menacing spirit, and was really annoyed with some of the guests, ruining the science of the whole thing with over exhuberant show boating which I did not swallow for a second. All in all, very interesting, would I go again? yes, but not to the gaol, there are no spirits there, it's a lovely old stone building, with a fascinating past, and I hope, a good future ahead of it.

I was forwarded the following email from the jail today..
    Wicklow’s Historic Gaol to Feature on TG4 this Sunday evening

Ireland’s most famous Gaol takes to the national airwaves once again. Yes, this Sunday evening Wicklow’s Historic Gaol will be brodcast to the nation in an historic documentary on TG4 at 10pm.
    The programme goes to the home of Fair City actor,Eamon Morrissey, in AUGHAVANNAGH and explores the history of who lived there. The story leads to Wicklow Gaol as we learn of the ferocious Irish rebels who fought and died for the land.
    The 12-part HD series - "Cé a "Chónaigh i mo Theachsa?"/"Who Lived in my House?" - has started on TG4.
    Make sure to tune in to TG4 this Sunday evening to see Wicklow Town put on the map once again.

Given that the documentary will be in Irish (with English subtitles, I assume), that may limit its audience somewhat.

I can't believe there's a place called Aughavannagh. Imagine the problems that presents when giving your address for various reasons, ha, ha.

• Advertisement

Well, I shall post here what I experienced, not very much TBH, the medium was not there, that was good, I'm not into mumbo jumbo, there were a group who claimed to be mediums on the tour, but TBH, I just felt it was hysteria and nothing more.

So they had other mediums instead of the usual ones? The hysteria must be very off-putting alright. When I took a ghost tour in Edinburgh before, there was none of that carry-on. One fella said he didn't feel right at all inside one of the underground tunnels at one point, but he was just calmly led outside and the tour continued without fuss.
    I felt no presences, no bad vibes, just nothing, exactly what I'd expect, as what sort of a spirit would want to hang around in such a place? Anyways, as I said, table tipping, medium visions, glass moving yada yada, subliminal messaging to me. I did some EMF stuff, and I was talking in Irish, and there seemed to be more interaction than when talking English, that was interesting.

I'm not a fan of table tipping, using a glass or pendulum, etc, at all. They're perfect opportunities for the human hand to intercede. That's all.
    I did feel cold blasts, but sure it's an old prison, you're sitting on the floor, the granite floor. We heard some footsteps and scratching, but not knowing where the other groups were located, it was not possible to say these were paranormal. I did think I saw a green light, but then, the meter was on the floor and it could just have been the light bouncing around my eyes. I saw no shadows, heard no moans or groans, felt no menacing spirit, and was really annoyed with some of the guests, ruining the science of the whole thing with over exhuberant show boating which I did not swallow for a second.

Yeah, my cousin was complaining about the other people partaking in the investigation, saying they were over-reacting to minor things, making too much noise, and incapable of keeping their mouths shut and remaining still while they were inside the cells. She also felt a couple of them - not the screeching types - were exaggerating about seeing/sensing ghosts just to seem 'more adept' or 'important' to everyone else.

They said they also felt a bit threatened by a couple of lads from a group because one of them was sneakily taking photos of one of the girls without her consent. They also thought they might be trying to pick pockets because they noticed how they were standing too close to both themselves and others, yet those lads suddenly turned away when they would turn around to look at them.

Whatever about the over-excitable people, it sounds like the investigations attract some very immature and even dodgy types.
    All in all, very interesting, would I go again? yes, but not to the gaol, there are no spirits there, it's a lovely old stone building, with a fascinating past, and I hope, a good future ahead of it.

Personally, I'd go to the jail for a day tour or something non-paranormal-related. Just to learn more about the history.

I spent a weekend in one of the cells living as an inmate. It was fecking cold but my "cellmate" was panicking all night hearing noises outside of the cell. IMO you can only really get a feel for a haunted location if you spend a few nights alone in it.

Great place to visit and spend some time. Ill include a photo as proof. Im one of those guys. The photo was taken at 4am by candlelight and it was very creepy.

wicklow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Paramad wrote: »

It isn't? In that case where is/was the original? And when was the current "Gaol" built?

Stork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I would be inclined to wonder where the goal was originally too?

gcgirl wrote: »
    I would be inclined to wonder where the goal was originally too?

The "original" gaol was located where the carpark is. In the 19th century an extension was added to the gaol which is the current structure. The earlier gaol was demolished. The current structure is still "original" for the most part. The front facade has been reconstructed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Ah makes sense now 19 century was a bit before my time, I can remember back when the eastern health board had the prefabs in what would now be the car park, prior to glenside road being constructed

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MeadhbhL3

Has anyone else been to a paranormal night at the gaol with Irish Ghost Hunters?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I havent. Wicklow Gaol have moved to the make money from para-entertainment scene these days.

I havnt been to it since Irish Ghost Hunters took over

We're not that bad you know :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Gavingaz12

I went to see irishghodthunters in the goal and they where great . then i joined them . its a great night not to be missed . plenty of food and coffee foyer the whole night and plenty if paranormal

The old goal needs money to Pay for repairs and the upkeep etc . Its a great night not to be missed well worth the money .

Ok cool. Is all of the activity that is detected on the night believed to be genuinely paranormal by the investigators or is some of it fabricated for entertainment? How much do yiz get paid :D

Its all real . if you get paranormal its there .if you don't you keep trying different areas to you find it .

I don't think that the IGH team get paid, they are genuinely into it for itself and not reward, the night I was there, there were only techies there and that was best. BUT, I thought there were more than a few p!ss takers among the public, it was funny how there was a hive of activity in one room, (with the "psychic" members of the public), and when we went there as complete skeptics, but with open minds, the activity stopped, the game was up! I think they should run nights for members of the public those who believe themselves to be psychics, so they can out bullsh!t each other, and convince others with suggestion..... and then run seperate nights for those of us who are not into the mubo jumbo bump in the dark stuff, and advertise it as such. I'd go again, but not with members of the public who believe they are psychics, who, to be honest, were more like a theatrical group than anything. I want proof, real proof, not bullsh!t.

Its great night all real . most of Irishghosthunters are not mediums . there just like you looking for paranormal . most of the time we do get paranormal and its a good night . well worth doing .the old goal in wicklow is haunted and we know it so well .we know where the activity is and we always show the public what we find and they join in .overall its brilliant and i love it so.joining irishghosthunters was the best thing i have ever done.

Its great night all real . most of Irishghosthunters are not mediums . there just like you looking for paranormal . most of the time we do get paranormal and its a good night . well worth doing .the old goal in wicklow is haunted and we know it so well .we know where the activity is and we always show the public what we find and they join in .overall its brilliant and i love it so.joining irishghosthunters was the best thing i have ever done.

How much do you get paid for giving the tours?

Riamfada wrote: »
    How much do you get paid for giving the tours?

It depends on the amount of people who come on the night. I'm not a medium and wearing glasses means my senses are already limited :p but I focus a lot on the technical aspect, I love the K2 meter and my dictaphone and my camera. But I agree about some members of the public taking the p*** and stuff. To be fair, most of these groups come for a good night out and to have a laugh. If nothing happens they get bored but theres nothing we can do about that, luck of the draw really but we would never under any circumstance fake anything!

• Advertisement

Money goes to the upkeep of the jail... money left over goes towards paranormal equipment which is not cheap cameras . video etc . and petrol money for members who have to travel great distance to the jail

Advertisement