Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFO...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Dey tuk er jerbs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

UFOs are common as muck, aliens being involved is about as likely as finding a leprachaun at the end of the rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Mickeroo wrote: »
    UFOs are common as muck, aliens being involved is about as likely as finding a leprachaun at the end of the rainbow.

yeah but i know a guy who looks oddly like a leprechaun and he is rich, coincidence? i think not, hence ancient aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I ,recently saw a large bed shaped flying object.Granted I was three sheets to the wind and standing at my bedroom door waiting for it to spin by so I could jump on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

zenno wrote: »
    no that wouldn't be the stealth fighter so. the stealth fighter flies at around 100,000 ft or the SR-71 flies at the height of 100,000 feet.

The SR-71 isn't flying anymore. The F-117, commonly known as the Stealth Fighter typically flies at just 10,000ft, but doesn't fly anymore.

It was probably just an ordinary low flying plane and the OP is unfamiliar with different aircraft types and the impression of speed at different altitudes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I saw the exact same thing a few years ago. It was gigantic, and flew very slowly.
    It was NOT a plane

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I saw the exact same thing a few years ago. It was gigantic, and flew very slowly.
    It was NOT a plane
    Shane L wrote: »
    I saw 3 circular light in a form of a large triangle kind of hard to make out an outline in the cloud moving at a phenomenal speed :L I

Not really the same thing so, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It was pretty low for a plane but it had that misty glow like you just described.Would 1 of these stealth fighters be flying so low over Carlow town :pac:

Was out one night during the summer walking the mutt when I saw an orange glowing light flying over Carlow town. At first I thought it was a Chinese lantern (there had been a few around previous weeks) or a hot-air balloon but there was a gale blowing and this was moving quite fast against the wind. Then it stopped suddenly, too suddenly to be a helicopter, hovered for a few seconds then disappeared. Altitude was just above cloud level so pretty low. Still haven't figured out what it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Seachmall wrote: »
    "UFO" is pretty much synonymous with "Alien Spaceship".

My bad if you were using "UFO" literally.

Nope

If you saw an object in the sky and realised correctly that it was in fact an alien spaceship youd be seeing an IFO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I love walking along the Prom in Galway at night and on a clear night you see some odd things. My favorite was watch what I thought was a Meteor blazing across the sky (which was a sight to behold itself) until it stopped and literally took a 90 degree turn and continued off over the Burren.
    Now was it an Alien Space Craft , Secret Military Project or two Meteors crossing paths.
    Who knows but it was Cool. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I was walking my dog tonight around half 9 ten...ish when for only a few seconds I saw 3 circular light in a form of a large triangle kind of hard to make out an outline in the cloud moving at a phenomenal speed :L i saw it for just a second or two and ran down the road when it had gone out of site but saw nothing else.It was a pretty strange and no I'm not the type to believe in ghosts and am always sceptical of these kinds of stories...

So AHers...have you ever seen anything strange site in the night sky you couldn't explain or do you think I'm gone mad :P I

Its enormous and a flying wing type craft, it has been reported all over the world, most famously over Phoenix. Also recent satellite images of area 51 show they have a brand new hangar 4 times bigger then any of the other hangars.

The stealth blip some are calling it, it seems to be a new type of aircraft using a different type of propulsion. When I heard the Americans were giving up on space, I suspected they had something coming "out of the ranch", perhaps this is it.

Or it could be a forward craft gathering intelligence and probing abductees while mutilating cattle, for the coming invasion to occur on December 21st 2012.

So RIP we are doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Not really the same thing so, is it?
    By your logic, a Ferrari Enzo that doesn't drive fast when you see it is not a Ferarri Enzo because "it was fast when you saw it".
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stories I like to post about my own paranormal experiences...
    Once I woke up during the night and saw the shape of an old woman towards the end of my bed. Nearly shít myself. A paranormal believer would probably throw the covers up and try to go asleep, and then tell all their true believer pals about it as evidence of the paranormal. I went to the bother of turning on the lights, and discovered that it was just an article of clothing hanging in a particular way, and being slightly illuminated by light from outside (the moon possibly).

Another time I saw what one could be forgiven for thinking was a bunch of spacecrafts having a dogfight miles up in space! Just looked like dots of light moving around each other randomly. As we turned the corner and looked up, they were gone. My paranormal-loving friend saw it too, and was clearly pleased to see that I had had a paranormal experience. I just said that I didn't know what it was, and left it at that. Saw the same thing the next day on my own, and walked further on, they disappeared again. Forgot about it, until I looked up about 5 minutes down the road, and there were a bunch of seagulls flying around in front of a billboard, being lit up by the lights Showing that (a) humans often confuse 'big but far away' with 'small but close', and (b) just because an explanation is not forthcoming or apparent does not mean it's not something mundane. Seagulls in front of a billboard would be the last thing that I'd consider.

Another recent example, I was cleaning up the sitting room a few weeks ago, and as I was leaving the room the TV came on, seemingly by itself. I wasn't near the remote at the time. Then I remembered that I had moved the remote about 2 minutes earlier, and I also remembered my mother complaining before that this new TV takes ages to come off standby when you press a button!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

what was thing that was mentioned on a cork radio station in an earlier post >?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Nope

If you saw an object in the sky and realised correctly that it was in fact an alien spaceship youd be seeing an IFO.

I get that but when people say "UFO" assuming they're referring to aliens is not a big leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Back around autumn 1996 myself and a friend were on our way home from another mate's house at about 4 in the morning. We stopped to make a sleeper (stick what ever weed we had left into one spliff) at the side of a shop that overlooks some fields, a sea marsh and the bay and thr Irish sea. It was a fairly clear night, no moon some scattered clouds...as we were sitting there my firend noticed something out over the bay and that seemed darker than the surrounding sky, that was moving really slowly from S to N...there was a very feint set of lights at one edge. It was maybe 15 degrees above the horizon...we watched it as it took about 5 minutes to traverse our field of vision, obscuring stars and one cloud on it's path (so it was between us and the cloud)...best we could make out it was triangular in shape, although we were seeing it from almost edge-on and it was big, ...very hard to judge as we hadn't really any way to gauge distance and hence size. There was no sound. We were pretty dumbfounded and sat for about half an hour trying to figure out what it was...next day we did the same...to this day we still don't know what it was, but we know what we saw and even though there was some spliff involved, we hadn't been drinking or taking anything else and it wasn't a result of hallucinogens or similar. The only aircraft I've ever seen going as slowly is a helicopter or a hot air balloon; no winged aircraft could do that speed without falling from the sky.
    It's easy to talk sh*t on the web and laugh at what others claim...I do it myself, but I still think about that night and it has left me a lot more open to believing what others sometimes report. There are explanations for a lot of sightings and many sightings are mistaken aircraft, planets, birds, chinese lanterns and whatever, but that doesn't mean that there aren't genuine cases of people seeing something that can't be easily explained by conventional means or current knowledge.
    I'm still wary of the alien explanation and am far more inclined to think of these sightings as manmade or human influenced...but if what I saw 15 yrs ago was experimental, I'd half expect them to be in service by now or at the very least have been officially outed in some way. I was at an air force display a few years later in the US where I witnessed a then rare glimpse of an out of service B-1 doing a fly past; stealth or not the damn thing made a lot of noise. The stealth blimp is a good explanation for what we saw back then but I've only heard of the concept lately. Blimps aren't new tech really, but adopting old tech with new space age methods and materials certainly makes sense and goes a long way to explaining what we saw back on that night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Wertz wrote: »
    Back around autumn 1996 myself and a friend were on our way home from another mate's house at about 4 in the morning. We stopped to make a sleeper (stick what ever weed we had left into one spliff) at the side of a shop that overlooks some fields, a sea marsh and the bay and thr Irish sea. It was a fairly clear night, no moon some scattered clouds...as we were sitting there my firend noticed something out over the bay and that seemed darker than the surrounding sky, that was moving really slowly from S to N...there was a very feint set of lights at one edge. It was maybe 15 degrees above the horizon...we watched it as it took about 5 minutes to traverse our field of vision, obscuring stars and one cloud on it's path (so it was between us and the cloud)...best we could make out it was triangular in shape, although we were seeing it from almost edge-on and it was big, ...very hard to judge as we hadn't really any way to gauge distance and hence size. There was no sound. We were pretty dumbfounded and sat for about half an hour trying to figure out what it was...next day we did the same...to this day we still don't know what it was, but we know what we saw and even though there was some spliff involved, we hadn't been drinking or taking anything else and it wasn't a result of hallucinogens or similar. The only aircraft I've ever seen going as slowly is a helicopter or a hot air balloon; no winged aircraft could do that speed without falling from the sky.
    It's easy to talk sh*t on the web and laugh at what others claim...I do it myself, but I still think about that night and it has left me a lot more open to believing what others sometimes report. There are explanations for a lot of sightings and many sightings are mistaken aircraft, planets, birds, chinese lanterns and whatever, but that doesn't mean that there aren't genuine cases of people seeing something that can't be easily explained by conventional means or current knowledge.
    I'm still wary of the alien explanation and am far more inclined to think of these sightings as manmade or human influenced...but if what I saw 15 yrs ago was experimental, I'd half expect them to be in service by now or at the very least have been officially outed in some way. I was at an air force display a few years later in the US where I witnessed a then rare glimpse of an out of service B-1 doing a fly past; stealth or not the damn thing made a lot of noise. The stealth blimp is a good explanation for what we saw back then but I've only heard of the concept lately. Blimps aren't new tech really, but adopting old tech with new space age methods and materials certainly makes sense and goes a long way to explaining what we saw back on that night...

Your credibility lessened after you said the incident was preceded by a joint :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hence why would I mention said joint if I was posting bull****. I included it because it's part of the story (why we were sitting about at 4am at the side of a shop), unless you're one of them that thinks weed makes you see things or whatever.
    I don't care if it's credible or not, I know what I saw and am relating that story for anyone bothered to care or share their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Wertz wrote: »
    Hence why would I mention said joint if I was posting bull****. I included it because it's part of the story (why we were sitting about at 4am at the side of a shop), unless you're one of them that thinks weed makes you see things or whatever.
    I don't care if it's credible or not, I know what I saw and am relating that story for anyone bothered to care or share their own

Jesus man cool it I was jesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

5uspect wrote: »
    The F-117, commonly known as the Stealth Fighter typically flies at just 10,000ft, but doesn't fly anymore.

wrong. the F-117 flies at around 100,000 feet and it is retired but they still fly it. well it obviously wasn't what the o.p was seeing. if the F-117 could only reach an altitude of 10,000 feet then it would be the worst aircraft ever made.

zenno wrote: »
    wrong. the F-117 flies at around 100,000 feet and it is retired but they still fly it. well it obviously wasn't what the o.p was seeing. if the F-117 could only reach an altitude of 10,000 feet then it would be the worst aircraft ever made.

Erm...
    From nationalmuseum
    TECHNICAL NOTES:
    Armament: Up to 5,000 lbs. of assorted internal stores
    Engines: Two General Electric F404-F1D2 engines of 10,600 lbs. thrust each
    Crew: One
    Maximum cruise speed: 684 mph
    Range: Unlimited with aerial refueling
    Ceiling: 45,000 ft.
    Span: 43 ft. 4 in.
    Length: 65 ft. 11 in.
    Height: 12 ft. 5 in.
    Weight: 52,500 lbs. maximum

The F-117 is classed as an ground attack or interdictor aircraft.
    As such it flew at relatively low altitudes around 10,000ft right in the thick of things but aided by its low observability. It isn't even fast at just Mach ~0.3.
    By all measures it was an awful aircraft aerodynamically due to it's "hopeless diamond" shape. The need to mask the radar reflections of the curved compressor blades and thermal signature at the nozzle gimped the engines. Very few aircraft can fly at 100,000ft never mind one as underpowered and cumbersome as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭SandraManson

Perhaps it was a plane? Well 2 years ago, I have seen a really weird disc type object flying up in my estate, it was flashing different colors, and then it just suddenly dissapeared. Also, I have heard of this star that appears in the sky and starts flashing different colors, I'm really not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was walking my dog tonight around half 9 ten...ish when for only a few seconds I saw 3 circular light in a form of a large triangle kind of hard to make out an outline in the cloud moving at a phenomenal speed :L i saw it for just a second or two and ran down the road when it had gone out of site but saw nothing else.It was a pretty strange and no I'm not the type to believe in ghosts and am always sceptical of these kinds of stories...

So AHers...have you ever seen anything strange site in the night sky you couldn't explain or do you think I'm gone mad :P I

It was a Gou'auld Al'kesh, theyre triangular in shape and so it simply had to have been one. Theyre also a medium range ship which means that there are Ha'tak motherships in this solar system. Mystery solved. Mods can lock this thread now as we're all doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

5uspect wrote: »
    Erm...
    From nationalmuseum

The F-117 is classed as an ground attack or interdictor aircraft.
    As such it flew at relatively low altitudes around 10,000ft right in the thick of things but aided by its low observability. It isn't even fast at just Mach ~0.3.
    By all measures it was an awful aircraft aerodynamically due to it's "hopeless diamond" shape. The need to mask the radar reflections of the curved compressor blades and thermal signature at the nozzle gimped the engines. Very few aircraft can fly at 100,000ft never mind one as underpowered and cumbersome as this.

umm... looks like i'm mixing myself up with one of the other craft they use.

there is one that can reach 100,000 ft and as you pointed out it's definitely not that one, can't remember which one it is though.

but o.p, did this thing you seen make any noise at all ? any engine noise. If it was flying that low you should have heard some noise, if not then it is just another unknown.

You're probably thinking of the U2 which was pretty much a jet powered glider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

This is an old thread, but I'd just like to point out that the US has many many experimental delta shaped aircraft among it's air force and NASA and NSA spy plane related projects.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/29/us-air-forces-x-37b-secret-space-plane_n_3350607.html
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/08/11/u-s-loses-contact-with-hypersonic-experimental-plane/

Also the slow flying black triangles blimp like planes are regularly observed all over the US and sometimes in the UK and the Irish Sea area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

the PSNI have several drones that they use across NI which have sometimes been mistaken for something else.

Advertisement