Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_gratification
    The "marshmallow experiment" is a well known test of this concept conducted by Walter Mischel at Stanford University and discussed by Goleman in his popular work. In the 1960s, a group of four-year-olds were given a marshmallow and promised another, only if they could wait 20 minutes before eating the first one. Some children could wait and others could not. The researchers then followed the progress of each child into adolescence and demonstrated that those with the ability to wait were better adjusted and more dependable (determined via surveys of their parents and teachers), and scored significantly higher on the Scholastic Aptitude Test years later.[

There are loads of these videos on youtube, the little girl sticking back the half eaten one at 2.45 is the funniest!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

That's so adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Looking for a bit of weekend reading guys. Any books ye can recommend?

Iv read Anita Beans guide to sports nutririon. Iv read Holfords Optimum Nutrition bible and thus care never to pick up one of his books ever ever again.

Iv heard good things about Bad science so i think ill pick that up. Any other reccomendations?

I'm re-reading The Protein Power Lifeplan for the umpteenth time, even though it is a 'diet' book, most of the book is actually a pretty good primer on nutrition science. Some things are wrong, such as the 400IU RDA for vitamin D (it has since been raised to at least 1,000IU) and that all paleolithic diets are low-carb (in hunter-gatherer diets carbs range from 10%-70% of total calories) but it was published in 2000 and was really groundbreaking for the time.

I'm also not really comfortable with the amount of supplements he recommends, but the scientific explanations and the easy style of writing is really enjoyable.

Some cool chapters include the importance of magnesium, the difference in metabolism of different fats, healing a leaky gut, the importance of getting enough sleep, low stress etc.

Thanks for that temple - deffo gonna pick myself up a copy. Il pop over to amazon now. I picked up a copy of Taubes Diet Delusion this afternoon and start that today. Looks like a good read.

Any other ideas shout them out people.

• Advertisement

ULstudent wrote: »
    Thanks for that temple - deffo gonna pick myself up a copy. Il pop over to amazon now.
    Check some other sites too, I ordered a book the other day which was a good bit cheaper than on amazon.

I got it on www.bookdepository.com

loads of other sites listed in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055853735

also if you order over £25 worth on amazon delivery is free.

The book I ordered was Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative
    http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Psoriasis-Alternative-John-Pagano/dp/0962884707

It is actually more a diet book with similar topics to the one Temple mentioned. Some reckon it is cause by leaky gut syndrome and that you should change to an alkaline diet. I have read lists of alkaline & acidic foods and my diet is very high in acidic causing ones. Apple cider vinegar is meant to cause your body to be alkaline. I have been drinking it daily and have also gotten a UVB light and it has dramatically improved my skin. The UVB causes the body to produce vitamin D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risks_and_benefits_of_sun_exposure
    It has been suggested by some vitamin D researchers, for example, that approximately 5-30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM at least twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back without sunscreen usually lead to sufficient vitamin D synthesis and that the moderate use of commercial tanning beds that emit 2%-6% UVB radiation also is effective.[17][11] Individuals with limited sun exposure need to include good sources of vitamin D in their diet or take a supplement.

I don't think they are sure of all the mechanisms taking place, I think UVB slows cell growth too. What is disturbing is that on some forums you hear stories of peoples dermatologists advising against getting UVB lamps, apparently only since they would lose business/patients. I have read if you already used steroid creams you may have to use the UVB a lot more, luckily I have only used mild ones a few times.

I think you need a prescription to buy UVB lights in some places, I think you might in the US, and some prices being charged are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Thanks for that temple - deffo gonna pick myself up a copy. Il pop over to amazon now. I picked up a copy of Taubes Diet Delusion this afternoon and start that today. Looks like a good read.

Any other ideas shout them out people.
    Took me absolutely bloody ages to read that book, found it very heavy reading altogether (but well worth it)

I'm re-reading The Protein Power Lifeplan for the umpteenth time, even though it is a 'diet' book, most of the book is actually a pretty good primer on nutrition science. Some things are wrong, such as the 400IU RDA for vitamin D (it has since been raised to at least 1,000IU) and that all paleolithic diets are low-carb (in hunter-gatherer diets carbs range from 10%-70% of total calories) but it was published in 2000 and was really groundbreaking for the time.

I'm also not really comfortable with the amount of supplements he recommends, but the scientific explanations and the easy style of writing is really enjoyable.

Some cool chapters include the importance of magnesium, the difference in metabolism of different fats, healing a leaky gut, the importance of getting enough sleep, low stress etc.
    Am nearly finished my current book and am on the lookout for more reading material too so might get this next.

Other books am thinking of buying are Lights Out by TS Wiley, Ancient Bodies, Modern Lives and possibly Food is better Medicine than Drugs. Anyone read any of these? If so would you recommend any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Dunno if anyone's heard of it already but I just came across this review of the book the vitamin D solution:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/supplements/sunshine-superman/#more-4165

Gonna be ordering that now on pay day looking forward to a good read there I think, also gonna get the primal blueprint and possibly the paleo diet. Does anyone know does the author of the primal blueprint advocate dairy or not?

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Dunno if anyone's heard of it already but I just came across this review of the book the vitamin D solution:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/supplements/sunshine-superman/#more-4165

Gonna be ordering that now on pay day looking forward to a good read there I think, also gonna get the primal blueprint and possibly the paleo diet. Does anyone know does the author of the primal blueprint advocate dairy or not?

I LOVE Hollick! He takes pity on poor science students by actually making his papers easy and enjoyable to read. Most papers are boringly written but I always enjoy his. I think this would bode well for the book.

The Primal Blueprint is good, but don't expect anything groundbreaking. Mark Sisson is ok with dairy if you tolerate it, always full fat of course. Mark is pretty tolerant in general and is ok with things like powdered rice protein and other things that hardcore paleos would balk at.

I like his style though and he really emphasises important lifestyle changes such as getting enough sleep and 'playing' instead of slogging away at the gym. He's firmly in the low-carb camp so thinks that high carbs are always unhealthy, which isn't true in every case.

He's got a wildly popular blog (tbh most of his info is on the blog if you want to save some dough)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

What I like about Mark is his unrelenting enthusiasm and positivity and that really comes through in everything he does.

• Advertisement

Found these articles on sunbathing and vitamin D.
    http://www.healthresearchforum.org.uk/reports.html
    The SunSafe Advice – Safe and Smart
    1. Sunbathe safely without burning – every day if you can.
    2.The middle of the day is a good time for sunbathing in the UK.
    3. Start by sunbathing for 2-3 minutes each side. Gradually increase from
    day to day.
    4.Don’t use sun screen while sunbathing.
    5. If feeling hot or uncomfortable expose a different area, cover up, move
    into the shade – or use sun screen.
    6.When abroad, where the sun is generally stronger, expose yourself for
    shorter times until you find out how much is safe.
    7. Children benefit from sun exposure, but need guidance.
    8.A tan is natural and is generally associated with good health.

I have psoriasis and it is almost all gone in just 4 weeks since using a narrowband UVB light which promotes vitamin D.

Ok cool thanks, it comes well reccomended so! I had a look at the idiot proof diet on amazon, I'm a bit aprehensive that it'll focus too heavily on dairy for my liking, would it be worth a read anyway? I read marks daily apple already actually he's great!

Rubadub I had a similar experience, I had psoriasis for just over a year (really badly, I mean all over me!) as a teenager. It was precipitated by my losing way too much weight to quickly, getting very run down and getting a latent strep throat infection. It began healing within a week of my starting to supplement with fish oil and vitamin D. Never had it back since!

For anyone's who's interested I started a blog yesterday, mainly focusing on nutrition, my diet and recipes and my attempts to be a bit self-sufficient. It's pretty bad at the moment I know (don't laugh :p) I'm not much of a computer whizz! If anyone really likes me feel free to become my super special first follower (Temple I'm looking at you! :pac:). Be kind: http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=2

Oh found an excellent forum too: http://cavemanforum.com/index.php

For anyone's who's interested I started a blog yesterday, mainly focusing on nutrition, my diet and recipes and my attempts to be a bit self-sufficient. It's pretty bad at the moment I know (don't laugh :p) I'm not much of a computer whizz! If anyone really likes me feel free to become my super special first follower (Temple I'm looking at you! :pac:). Be kind: http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=2

Added to google reader :) Nice blog, great to see something from an Irish perspective too.

Added to google reader :) Nice blog, great to see something from an Irish perspective too.

Lol thanks I have 2 followers yay! :D Ya It's really good fun actually, after writing my thesis it feels like such a pleasure to be writing so casually and for fun! Looking forwardd to getting it all tweaked for me soon by the sisters boyf who's a website designer though, should look good then! :)

Tescos in Limerick finally sells lindt 90%. About fecking time.

Also - try and eat this.
    Just thought id share my New and IMPROVED muffin. it was delicious.

2 tbls almond flour/ground almonds
    1 egg
    1 tbls dessicated coconut
    a little orange essence
    1 tbls cocoa powder
    a little sweetner
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    3 tbls water
    a little (10g?) dark chocolate broken up - i used atrisian du chocolate 72% with espresso.

Mix all ingredients together till smooth and thickish and throw in the microwave until done.

remove and add a tbls thickened coconut milk, 1 tbls hazelnut butter or any nut butter and some chopped figs and a tsp jam. Let it sit on the muffin.

Eat - i want a 100 of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Nice :)

Did you buy the Artisan stuff online? Was the postage expensive do you remember? I'm liking the look of the 100% - do report bacxk how it compares to the Lindt. I do really like the Lindt 99% - one of my fave of the 100%s along with Pralus 100% and Michel Cluizel 99%.

Nice :)

Did you buy the Artisan stuff online? Was the postage expensive do you remember? I'm liking the look of the 100% - do report bacxk how it compares to the Lindt. I do really like the Lindt 99% - one of my fave of the 100%s along with Pralus 100% and Michel Cluizel 99%.

Got the artisian stuff at a taste of dublin the weekend gone buy. They are opening a store in Dublin next week on Dame street.

I think the Lindt 99% is very nice - hazelnutty. The artisian 100% is much more stronger and potent but still really nice. Just had some lindt 90% and you would never guess it's a 90% cocoa content. Not as intense as i thought it would be.

Reading sugar shock by connie bennet. only through the first 50 or so pages but already some interesting stuff talking about sugars role in relation to heart disease and high cholesterol. Also refers to work by lorean cordain who i know has some fans on this forum.

• Advertisement

There's a reason i don't normally drink spirits.

Got through the best part of 'celebratory college results' 2 nagans of vodka last night playing Kings drinking games. I don't hold alcohol well. A pint has me merry, and 3 have me pissed.

Ah im gonna miss college.

Reading sugar shock by connie bennet. only through the first 50 or so pages but already some interesting stuff talking about sugars role in relation to heart disease and high cholesterol. Also refers to work by lorean cordain who i know has some fans on this forum.

Coincidently I came across this new podcast today with Connie:

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/2022/bloggeranza-week-day-one-connie-bennett-episode-371/

Haven't listened to it yet but will pop it on the Mp3 player for my evening stroll.

Anyone awake? I ate too much 85% chocolate and am WIDE AWAKE and lonely now! :(

Oh my god I just came across this piece of sh*te by McDougall:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010other/news/weil.htm

It's so bad it nearly made my eyeballs bleed, can you believe this crap!

Also, could a mod please sticky this thread!? It's such a pain having to go looking for it anytime you want to post something not really thread worthy. I think if it was stickied other people would use it more for questions too rather than starting crappy little threads that only ever get two or three replies anyway.

I just finished reading Vitamin D: the sunshine vitamin by Zoltan Rona and boy it makes such a convincing arguement that if the one supplement we should all be taking is Vit D and get blood levels checked regularly. The amount of stuff this vitamin helps with (because unlike the rest it's a hormone in essence). Its like 90 pages long and readable in a matter of hours. I got it for 11e in O'Mahoneys bookshop, prob cheaper on amazon etc.

Also re reading In defense of food by Micheal Pollan - anyone read it? He makes more sense than anyone i have read. Really like his ideas.

I think if it was stickied other people would use it more for questions too rather than starting crappy little threads that only ever get two or three replies anyway.
    Stickied, and got rid of my own crappy title!
    I just finished reading Vitamin D: the sunshine vitamin by Zoltan Rona and boy it makes such a convincing arguement that if the one supplement we should all be taking is Vit D and get blood levels checked regularly.
    My psoriasis is now 95% gone due to my UVB light, my mate who also has it saw me for the first time in about 2 months and was shocked at the result. In the book I was reading "healing psoriasis" he mentioned UVB but really downplays it, he was saying peoples skin gets worse in winter and put it down to humidity, but I would say sunlight is by far the bigger factor.

rubadub wrote: »
    My psoriasis is now 95% gone due to my UVB light, my mate who also has it saw me for the first time in about 2 months and was shocked at the result. In the book I was reading "healing psoriasis" he mentioned UVB but really downplays it, he was saying peoples skin gets worse in winter and put it down to humidity, but I would say sunlight is by far the bigger factor.

That's an amazing result! Worth mentioning that there are about 7 other phytonutrients generated by UVB besides vitamin D, so I would say that they are having an effect too.

There was a trial recently that showed big improvements in multiple sclerosis from UVB therapy independant of vitamin D production. I know I feel so much better from a day in the sun than I do just popping vitamin D, though in this country it's not like I have a choice most of the time :(

It's almost making sunbeds sound like an attractive option :eek: If only I could find a place with bulbs that have a similar UVA/UVB ratio as sunlight (it's hypothesised that the imbalance between UVA and B that has the skin-cancer inducing effect.)

The Vitamin D Solution is on my list of books to buy next.

Am currently reading Protein Power Lifeplan and am enjoying it. (Thanks to Temple for the recommendation earlier in this thread:))

Ya read the Pollan one but gave up towards the end, I kind felt it was preaching to the converted and a bit simplistic. He ends up repeating himself a million times in it but if you needed an intro to health eating it'd be a good starting place. I think he tried to stretch his theory a bit too far in writing a book on it, loved the omnivores dillema though!

Thanks rubadub for the sticky!

• Advertisement

It's almost making sunbeds sound like an attractive option :eek: If only I could find a place with bulbs that have a similar UVA/UVB ratio as sunlight (it's hypothesised that the imbalance between UVA and B that has the skin-cancer inducing effect.)
    I read on a psoriasis forum that one guy just put UVB bulbs in a regular sunbed. Some of the prices are ridiculous for UVB lights. I made my own, the bulb was €50, while the exact same bulb in other units with fancy timers etc can be over $800! I read that they have UVB bulbs in some old folks homes to increase bone strength. These are just lights on in recreational rooms, ambient light not like getting therapy sessions.

I found studies saying there was no evidence of an increase in cancers with the UVB. It could even be that the vitamin D production protects against the cancer.

The most remarkable thing I have read about recently is Kaatsu training, AKA occlusion training. Basically they put bands on peoples legs to restrict the bloodflow to some degree, then you walk for 20mins and take them off. It increases growth hormones and results in hypertrophy and strength. I am starting to do it myself and will report back any results. I am doing weight training, you only have to lift 20-50% of your maximum ability, you use bands on your arms for arm/chest work. I am also trying to lose fat and it may help.

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ijktr/2/1/5/_pdf
    KAATSU training is a novel method for muscle
    training, originally developed by Sato (2005). Under
    the conditions of restricted muscle blood flow, even
    short-term, low-intensity exercise can induce muscle
    strength, and hypertrophy (Takarada et al, 2000b;
    Takarada et al., 2002; Takarada & Ishii, 2002; Yasuda
    et al., 2004; Abe et al., 2005a, b). In addition,
    KAATSU training increases the amount of circulating
    growth hormone (GH) (Takarada et al., 2000a;
    Takano et al., 2005a,b; Sato et al., 2005), which may
    enhance lipolysis and bone formation, resulting in a
    reduction of obesity and bone diseases as well as
    improving strength and inducing hypertrophy of
    muscle (Beekley et al., 2005). Also, GH stimulates the
    liver to secrete insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1)
    (Abe et al., 2005a), which may improve the function
    of endothelium and insulin sensitivity. Thus, until
    now, KAATSU training has been widely used in
    healthy subjects and athletes, and has also been
    applied to various kinds of conditions such as
    orthopedic diseases, obesity and diabetes.

Plenty more studies here
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=0&q=kaatsu&hl=en&as_sdt=2000

Advertisement