Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats emer_b!!

I'd go to your go but I think you have to make sure they take swabs as it'd need to be tested. I'm not a 100% on that though.

For you, cut out dairy and sugar and take a grapeseed extract probiotic which is supposed to be the best for thrush. Also udos oil is supposed to be fantastic for thrush too.

Perhaps read to on what jack Newman and kellymom recommend for treating thrush. They're the experts in all things breastfeeding.

Congrats again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 missdeise

Kandr10 you are totally right he is too young. Unfortunately my OH is away this wk & I have to work Wed. Im kinda playing damage limitation with MIL. She actually told me (whilst baby was screaming in her arms) that I would have to give up breastfeeding cos he wants boob to sleep. Really she's just a huge worrier & wont sleep til thursday night. Normally she keeps her opinions to herself.

He usually swallows for a good 5 mins & then alrernates between sucking, swallowing & sleeping. He is figuring out to start swallowing again as soon as my finger hits the side of his cheek (to unlatch). Will try stripping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 missdeise

Kandr10 you are totally right he is too young. Unfortunately my OH is away this wk & I have to work Wed. Im kinda playing damage limitation with MIL. She actually told me (whilst baby was screaming in her arms) that I would have to give up breastfeeding cos he wants boob to sleep. Really she's just a huge worrier & wont sleep til thursday night. Normally she keeps her opinions to herself.

He usually swallows for a good 5 mins & then alrernates between sucking, swallowing & sleeping. He is figuring out to start swallowing again as soon as my finger hits the side of his cheek (to unlatch). Will try stripping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

emer_b wrote: »
    Hi ladies, haven't been on here in a year and half, but I'm back, feeding my second baby, 7 week old girl. Always got the best advice and support here.
    Anyway, all was going well until yesterday. Developed a really intense, toe-curling pain in my left nipple and into the breast. Can't see any latch issues or damage to the nipple so I'm almost certain its thrush. Does a dose of thrush require a doctors visit and prescription or is it something that can be tackled myself?
    Not looking for medical advice/diagnosis. Just wondering should I be ringing the gp first thing in the morning

Congrats on your baby I have a seven week old too had terrible thrush at 2 weeks.
    It's that sharp intense pain that shoots right through the nipple right into your breast.

I suffered for a week until I went to gp.
    I tried all of the grapeseed extract and probiotic yougart etc.
    I had to go in the end.
    It is extremely extremely painful when it gets in on.you.

I'd advise see your gp as between a bad dose of thrush and tongue tie baby had compressed my nipple so bad I can't feed from left anymore.
    So i pump on left feed on right.
    Remember to change your breast pads often. And wash any towels after use.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

missdeise wrote: »
    Hi. Its my first time to post here, just looking for a little advice.
    My little man is 2mths old.
    When im feeding him he never comes off on his own. He is a sleepy feeder & the only way I know he's possibly full is when he doesnt scream when I put him down, and even that only lasts 10-20mins. He refuses to sleep during the day.
    We've just started giving him 1 bottle of formula in the evenings. Im self employed & have to work outside the home 1 night a wk. I would much prefer to give him ebm but Im just having no luck im that dept. We've been trying to settle him without the boob the last 2 nights (after his bottle) & he goes nuts cos he wants to suck, he will not take a dummy. Only doing this cos MIL has to babysit this wk. she is driving me nuts cos "she doesnt know how to deal with a breastfed baby" .
    He eventually fell asleep tonight (after crying it out) but i touched the pram & he woke. We're in bed & he's only sucking for comfort, very natural & Im happier. Its where he should be.
    Not sure if there is any advice to give but just needed to rant in a safe place.

Hi miss dense. In those early days a sling used to work when my husband needed to settle him. Might be a bit hippy ish for u r mil...! We used a moby wrap, got it on amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks how strange, will ring the gp first thing tmrw. Don't want this to get any worse or spread to the other side. At the moment I can feed from the right and pump from the left to avoid the pain.

Thanks monflat also, just saw your post. God I can't imagine putting up with this for a week! Good advice thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

missdeise wrote: »

I know it's stressful but there's really no guarantee that he would sleep differently for your mil even if you gave up. Maybe if she could come up some day while you're there and give him a bottle and try to get him off as a practice run? How long will you be gone also? If it's only a few hours it wouldn't be so bad if he didn't sleep. If you were gone the whole night I can understand the difficulty though.
    Breastfeeding totally works even if you can't always be with the baby though. Honestly I'm sure once your mil does it once she won't be so stressed. She'll find her own work around. Does your oh give a bottle often? That could help the little fella to know it's not always you putting him to sleep.
    There's a book that's often recommended here called the no cry sleep solution. I used it from about 9 months and found it great but there's a section for babies less than 4 months. It's well worth a read just for the general tone. She's very reassuring and not prescriptive but gives plenty of solutions that you can dip into.

kandr10 wrote: »
    I know it's stressful but there's really no guarantee that he would sleep differently for your mil even if you gave up. Maybe if she could come up some day while you're there and give him a bottle and try to get him off as a practice run? How long will you be gone also? If it's only a few hours it wouldn't be so bad if he didn't sleep. If you were gone the whole night I can understand the difficulty though.
    Breastfeeding totally works even if you can't always be with the baby though. Honestly I'm sure once your mil does it once she won't be so stressed. She'll find her own work around. Does your oh give a bottle often? That could help the little fella to know it's not always you putting him to sleep.
    There's a book that's often recommended here called the no cry sleep solution. I used it from about 9 months and found it great but there's a section for babies less than 4 months. It's well worth a read just for the general tone. She's very reassuring and not prescriptive but gives plenty of solutions that you can dip into.
    edit just to add you shouldn't have to change what you do 6 days out of 7 and definitely don't do anything that goes against your parenting style just to suit other people. Babies are great at establishing different habits with different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

kandr10 wrote: »
    edit just to add you shouldn't have to change what you do 6 days out of 7 and definitely don't do anything that goes against your parenting style just to suit other people. Babies are great at establishing different habits with different people.

Just to say I totally agree with this- I fed my first to sleep for around 5 mths. I really worried when I left her with anyone even for an hr when I knew she was due a sleep but she either fell asleep on the bottle or one rainy day my mil had her fast asleep in her pram after being wheeled around the kitchen for 5 mins! I was amazed as wouldn't have thought it possible... Have to say my mil isn't a worrier tho and would just do whatever she thought might work without getting at all stressed- a trait I wish I had! My husband was really worried the first few times he did bedtime when I was out but once he got her at the right level of tiredness she would fall asleep with the bottle. And failing that he at least knew that a walk around in the pram would do it if it came to that. Can you get your oh to practice putting her to bed (preferably without you there as it'll be easier for you both!) to see what might work and then u can reassure ur mil that it can be done and give her the tips on what to try? Everyone has their own way of getting baby to settle. Just cos yours is breast feeding doesn't mean that no one else will be able to settle in another way. I'd guess as well that it will be much easier for them to do it when you're not there as they won't feel as much pressure and baby will know that you're not there right now but this other person is offering me comfort. The situation you describe of her holding your upset baby while saying there's nothing she can do while you're breast feeding was probably largely due to baby knowing u were there do not understanding why he couldn't just have you, you dying to take over (I know I always did!) and ur mil feeling flustered in front of you. I do think it's easier for a babysitter once they're on their own as otherwise both sides are a bit on edge no matter how good your intentions!

Julo12 wrote: »
    Just to say I totally agree with this- I fed my first to sleep for around 5 mths. I really worried when I left her with anyone even for an hr when I knew she was due a sleep but she either fell asleep on the bottle or one rainy day my mil had her fast asleep in her pram after being wheeled around the kitchen for 5 mins! I was amazed as wouldn't have thought it possible... Have to say my mil isn't a worrier tho and would just do whatever she thought might work without getting at all stressed- a trait I wish I had! My husband was really worried the first few times he did bedtime when I was out but once he got her at the right level of tiredness she would fall asleep with the bottle. And failing that he at least knew that a walk around in the pram would do it if it came to that. Can you get your oh to practice putting her to bed (preferably without you there as it'll be easier for you both!) to see what might work and then u can reassure ur mil that it can be done and give her the tips on what to try? Everyone has their own way of getting baby to settle. Just cos yours is breast feeding doesn't mean that no one else will be able to settle in another way. I'd guess as well that it will be much easier for them to do it when you're not there as they won't feel as much pressure and baby will know that you're not there right now but this other person is offering me comfort. The situation you describe of her holding your upset baby while saying there's nothing she can do while you're breast feeding was probably largely due to baby knowing u were there do not understanding why he couldn't just have you, you dying to take over (I know I always did!) and ur mil feeling flustered in front of you. I do think it's easier for a babysitter once they're on their own as otherwise both sides are a bit on edge no matter how good your intentions!

Yeah that's the same as our situation alright. Both myself and my husband had different things we did that worked to make our girl sleep (mine being breastfeeding). When we were all ready for it, the baby most importantly, I tried different things from that book I mentioned to get her to stop breastfeeding to sleep. She was a good 9 months at that stage. Now my husband and I have the same techniques to use and we can pass them on to whoever is minding her but I definitely didn't do this until I could see the baby and I were ready. I knew in needed to try something else when the boob stopped working to get her asleep!
    I hope you find a solution. It must be worrying to you .

• Advertisement

This is not really a problem but....
    I'm pure ravenous and have hiked up a stone in about 4 weeks.
    I shed a lot the first few weeks but I just can't stop Eating.

I was like this on my first
    Not so bad on my second but this time around I'm looking in presses every 30 mins.
    It's not that I'm eating crap either.
    Ok I have a few nice things but if I eat a full dinner chicken and load of veg I could eat same again 30 mins later.

Is there any one the same...
    So much for shedding all weight while feeding......

I was like that with my son and I didn't lose the last bit of baby weight. I was constantly starving. All I would suggest to you is to eat more protein and fats than carbs as protein and fats will keep you feeling full for much longer. You won't have to watch portion control as much if you're eating protein/fats and veg/salad.

Then clear all the biscuits and crap out. Don't have any in the house. Have a slice of cake or whatever as a treat when you go for a coffee but don't have any temptation at home. I did all of this with my daughter and it helped shift the weight.

Keep a food diary and perhaps consider a multivitamin tonic like floradix. I found I eat more/am constantly hungry when I'm run down.

I was like that with my son and I didn't lose the last bit of baby weight. I was constantly starving. All I would suggest to you is to eat more protein and fats than carbs as protein and fats will keep you feeling full for much longer. You won't have to watch portion control as much if you're eating protein/fats and veg/salad.

Then clear all the biscuits and crap out. Don't have any in the house. Have a slice of cake or whatever as a treat when you go for a coffee but don't have any temptation at home. I did all of this with my daughter and it helped shift the weight.

Keep a food diary and perhaps consider a multivitamin tonic like floradix. I found I eat more/am constantly hungry when I'm run down.

Well I got the shock of my life this morning when something that fitted me a month ago won't fit now.
    Little lad is 8 weeks today
    When I'm goin to gym I'm good at eating protein veg only but now it seems to be different I'm hungry so il eat!!!

Thing is I used never eat potatoes rice pasta or bread now I've fallen onto bad habits as I'm tryin to get children to eat etc.!!

I only eat something nice at night if myself n d husband get a chance to see each other.
    But I can easily say yes it's the carbs that don't help.

Ok from tomorrow it will have to change....
    Hard work feeding these babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

monflat wrote: »
    Well I got the shock of my life this morning when something that fitted me a month ago won't fit now.
    Little lad is 8 weeks today
    When I'm goin to gym I'm good at eating protein veg only but now it seems to be different I'm hungry so il eat!!!

Thing is I used never eat potatoes rice pasta or bread now I've fallen onto bad habits as I'm tryin to get children to eat etc.!!

I only eat something nice at night if myself n d husband get a chance to see each other.
    But I can easily say yes it's the carbs that don't help.

Ok from tomorrow it will have to change....
    Hard work feeding these babies!

Our baby's must have been born the same day!!

I hear ya on the food side of things... I was constantly eating & then with the steady flow of visitors, there was always rubbish in the house. I ended up going back to weight watchers, I'm a gold member so it's free. I'm finding porridge, home made veg soup, loads of water & treats like choc rice cakes help keep me full/satisfied & loose weight (slowly). Guess just trying to remember that we should be eating more since we're Breast feeding but it should be decent calories most of the time. Maybe try switching to whole grain pasta/rice/bread to start? I find I wouldn't over eat them as much as the white stuff & they're a lot healthier.

Our baby's must have been born the same day!!

I hear ya on the food side of things... I was constantly eating & then with the steady flow of visitors, there was always rubbish in the house. I ended up going back to weight watchers, I'm a gold member so it's free. I'm finding porridge, home made veg soup, loads of water & treats like choc rice cakes help keep me full/satisfied & loose weight (slowly). Guess just trying to remember that we should be eating more since we're Breast feeding but it should be decent calories most of the time. Maybe try switching to whole grain pasta/rice/bread to start? I find I wouldn't over eat them as much as the white stuff & they're a lot healthier.

Yes it's mad!
    Ye all of the bread I'd eat is wholegrain pasta isn't but I could eat a nice bowl of porridge with pear each morning say at 830 then by 1030 r 11 I'm eating two slices of toast and 2 eggs!

I admit yes I do enjoy the cup of tea with a few biscuits and don't eat biscuits during the day as the other two children would want them but it's probably the quantities of food I'm eating.
    And still feeling hungry!

I have put up on the fridge a note to oneself.

You are not hungry but thirsty..

So il try drinking more first before I delve in!

However baby is gaining weight ( not aa fast as me thou) !!!!

I read somewhere that you only need the calorific equivalent of a small light nutritious meal. When I was pregnant on my son someone told me I could eat a cream slice a day when breastfeeding. I felt robbed and cheated when I realised that eating things like that were just making me fatter.

Personally, carbs make me hungry or at least make me get hungry much quicker so I avoid them.

Also, the main weightloss with breastfeeding happens between 3-6 months. I found this to be the case with my daughter but I was also eating *relatively* healthily with the odd nice thing here and there. I definitely didn't deprive myself :)

I read somewhere that you only need the calorific equivalent of a small light nutritious meal. When I was pregnant on my son someone told me I could eat a cream slice a day when breastfeeding. I felt robbed and cheated when I realised that eating things like that were just making me fatter.

Personally, carbs make me hungry or at least make me get hungry much quicker so I avoid them.

Also, the main weightloss with breastfeeding happens between 3-6 months. I found this to be the case with my daughter but I was also eating *relatively* healthily with the odd nice thing here and there. I definitely didn't deprive myself :)

Well I'm more conscious of it now I think thou the sleep loss too does not help as your body is not rested.
    Well I suppose at 3 months the baby stretches out more and we then can get out.

But I find I don't want as much when I'm out so it is all psychological!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I think I've put on a few pounds since the first few weeks too and I am starving all the time too. Baby is 8 weeks and I'm bf. I'm generally eating healthy food but I'm having big portions. Then by the afternoon I find myself really looking for something. I try to eat fruit but if I'd 10 snickers in front of me I'd eat them. My other half got a few bags of trail mix and added more nuts to them. It's working for now as something to nibble on but I could eat the packet. We've had desserts a lot recently too for visitors, not helping.

I read that bf takes about 500 calories a day. I feel like I want a lot more than that, and mostly want choc/carbs. Maybe it is partially that I'm not used to being at home so much and I'm stuck to the couch a lot bf him. Also I used to walk >3 miles a day with work plus run a few times a week so I'm probably burning less calories overall at the moment :(

It's 4.40am now and I'm starving again!!

Well I'm more conscious of it now I think thou the sleep loss too does not help as your body is not rested.
    Well I suppose at 3 months the baby stretches out more and we then can get out.

But I find I don't want as much when I'm out so it is all psychological!!!

Yep, sleep deprivation and messed up body clock do make people fatter :( I don't eat at night as that puts on even more weight. Although to be honest the main e reason I don't eat at night is just that my other half is sleeping in the living room these nights and I'd wake him up going into the kitchen!

Sleep deprivation definitely affects me too. The day after a bad night I crave sugar and carbs and am constantly hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

How is the breastfeeding going for the newbies? Almost 3 wks in and hanging in there. One bottle of formula to top up at nite plus a bottle of expressed so OH gives 2 nite feeds to give me a break. My prob is bubs throwing feeds back up. He had PHN yest and weight gain is spot on fortunately but last 24h rs he threw up 4 times! I keep him up for a while after feeds and try to wind him but I don't always get up wind. Of course he is starving then aswell as losing that feed. I think sometimes he is so hungry he gulps frantically and the cycle repeats. Today he has fed twice. No pukes. Fingers crossed.

73trix wrote: »
    How is the breastfeeding going for the newbies? Almost 3 wks in and hanging in there. One bottle of formula to top up at nite plus a bottle of expressed so OH gives 2 nite feeds to give me a break. My prob is bubs throwing feeds back up. He had PHN yest and weight gain is spot on fortunately but last 24h rs he threw up 4 times! I keep him up for a while after feeds and try to wind him but I don't always get up wind. Of course he is starving then aswell as losing that feed. I think sometimes he is so hungry he gulps frantically and the cycle repeats. Today he has fed twice. No pukes. Fingers crossed.

Do you wake him to feed him or is he awake crying then you feed?

I find that if you feed before they start gettin frantic which is like ten seconds to get into position! They don't be as frantic on the boob gulping and fussing. Then they don't gulp as much wind.
    I've yesterday had to add colic drops to my lad as he gets expressed bottle at night and god we have had a few bad hours with trapped wind.

Would you consider that if you have not all ready!

Do you wake him to feed him or is he awake crying then you feed?

I find that if you feed before they start gettin frantic which is like ten seconds to get into position! They don't be as frantic on the boob gulping and fussing. Then they don't gulp as much wind.
    I've yesterday had to add colic drops to my lad as he gets expressed bottle at night and god we have had a few bad hours with trapped wind.

Would you consider that if you have not all ready!

I think you have a point. I don't wake him to feed or ever! Ideally as soon as he wakes I feed him but sometimes that 10 secs is just not enough. He can literally go 0 - 60 when he realises he is hungry and man or machine can't move fast enough! I used to be anxious to change his nappy asap if thought it dirty but now feeding comes first! This is A juggle tho. If I don't change him before he feeds he will wait as he falls asleep after feeds. No easy way around it. If I delay feed there s risk of puking the whole feed up!! I can't win!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

It's highly unlikely that he's puking the whole feed back up: my little lady still pukes all the time (and oh my god solid pukes are soo gross!). I was convinced she was bringing up it all: phn told me to think of how difficult it is to clean up a table spoon of honey... They can bring up a lot but they would rarely bring it all up. Muslins are your friend :)

And I'm so depressed over the weight thing: can't lose it at all. I have two sick here again so haven't been able to get out of the house I'm up all night so I reckon I'm going to end up putting back on the few pounds I lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

My little man pukes most of his feeds - not projectile but a lot of spit up - and he's still piling on weight so I don't worry too much about it, it's just frustrating more than anything as I can't put him down!

Must dip into the baby wearing thread and get some tips as I think it's the only way I'll ever get anything done :)

Regarding weight and eating I was hoovering carbs the last few weeks - I've eaten a ridiculous amount of chocolate (buying big bars and eating them in one sitting) so had to stop buying. I was telling myself that it was grand cos of the bf, but that could only last so long. I was losing weight all along but not for much longer I think!! But I am hungry all the time too.

For changing nappies at night, I was advised to feed him first until he's happy but not asleep, then take him off, change him and put him back on the boob to finish the feed and let him fall asleep full and happy. Works most of the time for us.

Edit to say that at the start I was changing his nappy every time he woke at night. Now I change him about 12 then again when he wakes about 6-7am. He wakes too around 1am and 4 am but I don't change him then, just feed. He's no nappy rash or anything so I guess it's OK.

For changing nappies at night, I was advised to feed him first until he's happy but not asleep, then take him off, change him and put him back on the boob to finish the feed and let him fall asleep full and happy. Works most of the time for us.

Edit to say that at the start I was changing his nappy every time he woke at night. Now I change him about 12 then again when he wakes about 6-7am. He wakes too around 1am and 4 am but I don't change him then, just feed. He's no nappy rash or anything so I guess it's OK.

Took your advice. No pukes last nite
    Did not succumb to changing nappy for ages while feeding got priority despite pong city! Took him to change eventually when half asleep and he slept again after. He doesn't cry to be changed but goes mental to feed. I prob suffer more over the nappies than he does! He had a v good nite last nite :-)

Took your advice. No pukes last nite
    Did not succumb to changing nappy for ages while feeding got priority despite pong city! Took him to change eventually when half asleep and he slept again after. He doesn't cry to be changed but goes mental to feed. I prob suffer more over the nappies than he does! He had a v good nite last nite :-)

Glad to hear ye had a good night :) long may it continue!

My guy doesn't cry for a full nappy either, no matter how full it is. I thought it was a bit odd. He roars for food though!

How do you manage to wind baby when he insist s on sleeping after feed? My chap slept 4 hrs after formula and then woke up frantic for feed. I fed him and he was guzzling! He fell asleep and I tried to wind him up on my shoulder. No waking him. Got only a token burp. Paid for it shortly after putting him down. He threw up in basket. Worse still after changing everything he threw up again! Soon he was mad to feed again and has been fine since. Small mercy that throwing up doesn't make him cry. Little lady only cries to feed.

• Advertisement

How do you manage to wind baby when he insist s on sleeping after feed? My chap slept 4 hrs after formula and then woke up frantic for feed. I fed him and he was guzzling! He fell asleep and I tried to wind him up on my shoulder. No waking him. Got only a token burp. Paid for it shortly after putting him down. He threw up in basket. Worse still after changing everything he threw up again! Soon he was mad to feed again and has been fine since. Small mercy that throwing up doesn't make him cry. Little lad only cries to feed.

Advertisement