Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Convenient Drink

• 12-10-2014 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

Any suggestions on a healthy drink that's available everywhere?

At the moment I tend to drink a lot of coke, which I know is the worst drink in the world, has massive amounts of sugar and other crap

But the thing about it is

It's everywhere

So its kind of become my default drink

I really want to change this

I've started drinking Energise Sport, which is an orange drink. It says on the label it only has 4 grams of sugar, but am I fooling myself thinking this is healthier?

I don't like the taste of tea or coffee although I'm thinking about training myself to like it as it must be better than coke and is also available everywhere

Have you got any good suggestions for a nice drink I can have when I'm out that is relatively healthy?

Also I don't like paying for water because it's free (I know that changing) and it's not enjoyable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gesler

UCDCritic wrote: »

Also I don't like paying for water because it's free (I know that changing) and it's not enjoyable

You should give water a try, going from a shed load of sugar to basic hydration will be hard but after a while once your body re adjusts you will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

Water
    Green Tea
    Low Sugar cranberry juice
    Coffee

Watch any fruit juices, they almost all have as much sugar in them as soft drinks

If you need to sweeten coffee/green tea/whatever try a natural sweetener like stevia. I can't tell the difference and there's no sugar in it and virtually no calories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ Sydney Prickly Pumpernickel

Why would you pay €2 for a bottle of sugary rubish that will give you dental decay, diabetes etc... When you could pay €1 for a bottle of water that is actually the healthiest thing you could drink?
    If you think you shouldn't pay for it, bring your own 'free' water.
    If you don't like the taste, get to like it.
    Try sparking water. Add a few tea spoons of fruit juice if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Water. Water is just the best thing out there.
    I would not touch all those Sport Drinks as they are for People who actually need energy for exercise, not people who do daily stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

If you really don't like water - you could try one of the Vit Hit drinks? I'm lead to believe they're just cold tea and a small amount of fruit juice. Looking at the nutritional information they don't seem too bad.

Or even milk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

If you like Coke but don't want the sugar, drink Coke zero.

Half a calorie per 150ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

If you like Coke but don't want the sugar, drink Coke zero.

Half a calorie per 150ml.

When I went cold turkey on all drinks other than water my appetite vanished. I think sweeteners in fizzy drinks was to blame. No science though.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Water. Water is just the best thing out there.
    I would not touch all those Sport Drinks as they are for People who actually need energy for exercise, not people who do daily stuff.
    People who need energy for exercise dont need sports drinks either. Theyre a marketing gimmick.

OP, do attempt to give up the coke. The craving for it will fade if you give it a few weeks, to the point that if you taste it having not had it for ages, it will be sickeningly sweet. Water will be an acquired taste, but stick with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Coke Zero... Its processed but it has no calories in it, I drink a few bottles a week have not died yet :pac:

Also fizzy water is great as it quenches your thirst like fizzy drinks but its just water..

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

You've got to get used to water. Flavour it with a lemon or a lime. Get a filter. Stick with it. Other suggestions green tea (matcha / matcha latte). Perhaps try change the flavour of your coffee by adding cream or butter and coconut oil. Coffee with cream so much nicer than plain coffee or coffee with milk. You can add cinnamon also. If you drink good coffee it might be easier to get used to. The reality is we only need water. Fizzy and energy drinks should not be consumed. No harm in an odd juice or smoothie but personally I wouldn't drink them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

OP, you may find a after a couple of weeks drinking water that you don't feel "thirsty" to the same extent while out and about. What you experience as "thirst" is more than likely merely a craving for the sugar rush. Of course if you're exercising or it is a hot day then you need to rehydrate. But a few hours walking about without a drink in the normal Irish weather is not really a problem. You can make it up with a drink of tap water when you get home.

If you do however like to drink when out, just refill a bottle of mineral water with tap water (filtered if you prefer) and carry that about. Though like I said earlier, you may find your need to drink is reduced when there's no sugar craving associated with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

On the subject of sugar and addiction I've watched videos about how the food industry deliberately spends millions a year on working out how they can make their food irresistible and to make us addicted to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Just have a little sugar-free cordial in water. Tis my lifesaver.

Advertisement