Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying an Audi up north. Advice!

• 12-09-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, any advice would be appreciated,

I've been researching estate cars (with twins onthe way:eek: ) and have decided on an Audi A4 Avant estate 1.9 TDI Automatic. After comparing prices up north and Irish prices it looks like I can get a cheaper better spec car up north. Unless I'm over looking something obvious.

I have read up the vrt threads on boards but As it is my first time purchasing a English reg car I would love to hear from someone who has gone through this.

The cars within my price range (€6000 max including vrt) all seen to be 2004 with 85,000 to 100,000 miles on the clock.

A lot of my mates say that it's only the more expensive cars that you make a saving on when buying up north?

Have also looked into websites like ukdirect.ie which will source the car for you and do all the paperwork,registration and plates for €1000 but aside from the 1/6 of my budget swallowed there seems to be mixed reviews.

Any advice would be welcomed.
    Thanks Again,
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Smurf2000 wrote: »
    Hi, any advice would be appreciated,

Don't post a request in the Bargain Alert forum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

moved from bargain alerts as it is not an alert, its more of a motor purchase advice request.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

Exchange rate is poor at min so id be checking figures again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try 2 seats in the back of an A4. Not as roomy as you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Try 2 seats in the back of an A4. Not as roomy as you'd think.

I'd also be checking whether the boot would hold a double buggy as it's not really that big, and most double buggies are pretty sizeable.

Check the figures for importing against buying here. With the exchange rate being very poor at the moment it may not even be worth it. Asking prices in Ireland have much more room for negotiation than asking prices in the UK, which also has to be taken in to account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smurf2000

Great advice. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

I recently purchased a car from the North, the dealer sourced the exact car I was looking for, and it is in great condition. I know I probably paid more than I would have down south, but i had been looking for months, and everything in my price range that I viewed locally was in very bad condition. The dealer sorted out the VRT, changing the plates, NCT. I would definitely do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Have you found 1.9TDi automatic estates? I'd have thought that was an impossible combination to buy.

They are very rare in Ireland. i have yet to see one come up on carzone within my price range, but they do come up on auto-trader in northern Ireland and even more so in England.

Test drove a manual yesterday and I was very pleased with it.

Do you mind if I ask you what dealer did you use. This type of service sounds right up my street (speaking as a newbie to vrt and buying cars in general).

Did you find any down side to them??
    Did it add much onto the overall price for this service??
    Was a service or warranty included??

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

At the moment the Euro-Sterling rate isn't the best but it is steadily going in the right direction. So I would hold off for a little while to see how it goes.

On another note, are Audi not expensive to service/fix? Pretty sure main dealer Audi garages are not cheap. If you know an independent mechanic i'd ask him about the price of parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

jpos wrote: »
    At the moment the Euro-Sterling rate isn't the best but it is steadily going in the right direction. So I would hold off for a little while to see how it goes.

On another note, are Audi not expensive to service/fix? Pretty sure main dealer Audi garages are not cheap. If you know an independent mechanic i'd ask him about the price of parts.
    main dealer expensive

local mechanics are not. parts can be got from most motor factors

It would be great to hear from someone who owned a Audi estate. What they made of it and any pros and cons??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Colleague has an A4 diesel estate, loves it and hasn't had any major issues that I can recall.

Good to hear. Few of my mates are advocating the passat estate as it has more liters in the boots than the Audi estate. I suppose I should test drive them both to see which one feels more comfortable.
    There does not seem to be much between the 2 cars.
    Has anyone any experience of the passat estate??

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

jpos wrote: »

I Have an Audi and most of the mechanical parts are the same as a VW Passat. The engine in my one has the same engine code that can be found in some of the B 5.5 passat's AVB.

Great to hear. Must be a bit of a myth that they are super expensive to fix/parts.

Just wondering if anyone has bought a car in the u.k and used one of those company's that will go to the garage and give the car a full inspection before making the commitment to travel over and buy??
    Could anyone recommend one and would have an idea what the charge would be??
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

carleigh wrote: »
    I recently purchased a car from the North, the dealer sourced the exact car I was looking for, and it is in great condition. I know I probably paid more than I would have down south, but i had been looking for months, and everything in my price range that I viewed locally was in very bad condition. The dealer sorted out the VRT, changing the plates, NCT. I would definitely do it again.

Can you name the dealer? Seems to be geared toward good customer service whoever they are.

Could you p.m me the details of the dealer too please? Sounds promising!

• Advertisement
Advertisement