Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

suggestions/advice please....

• 21-05-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I'm hoping to buy a new(er) car in the next couple of months but need some advice from people in the know to see what my options are...

I need a "family car"... but i dont really want anything too boring, yet i'd prefer if it didnt cost a fortune to run and maintain either!!
    something 4/5 door with plenty of room inside - i only have 2 kids so i dont need a bus.
    I'd like something with a bit of power (thats fun to drive) but suitable for the family too.

My choice may be limited with a budget of around €4,000- €4,500 but surely theres a few options out there.
    Due to the tax cost i'd prefer to keep it under 2.0L.
    I'd drive about 13,000 to 15,000 miles per year (alot of short trips) so i dont think petrol or diesel really matters.

I like the Mondeo ST but the 2.2L engine is putting me off with tax costing 885pa.

Any suggestions welcome...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=6513372722386880. It'll be hard on fuel but cheapish to maintain, quick, fun, & practical. He's asking too much for it, but it does look like a very good example - i'm sure you'd get it for fourish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

For in or around 15k miles a year I'd be going diesel anyway. I think a nice Avensis would do the trick.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3310000

View2-11431816.jpeg

I can't see a Subaru Forester that would do max of 30mpg being decent for 15k miles a year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Anan1 wrote: »
    This: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=6513372722386880. It'll be hard on fuel but cheapish to maintain, quick, fun, & practical. He's asking too much for it, but it does look like a very good example - i'm sure you'd get it for fourish.

something hard on fuel mightnt be the best idea...
    are parts for Subaru not expensive to replace too?
    pred racer wrote: »

I know i said a "family car" but i'm not really a huge fan of estates to be honest... looks nice enough though!
    Idbatterim wrote: »

never really thought of a BMW to be honest. I'd still get something under 2.0L i'd say... i dont think i could bring myself to pay the best part of 900 a year on tax just yet!
    166man wrote: »
    For in or around 15k miles a year I'd be going diesel anyway. I think a nice Avensis would do the trick.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3310000

View2-11431816.jpeg

I can't see a Subaru Forester that would do max of 30mpg being decent for 15k miles a year either.

An avensis would be nice alright but i'd go for the saloon version if any... would it fit into the "not boring" category though??

Thanks for the replys guys... gives me more to think about.

• Advertisement

Just a quick note on the whole diesel vs petrol issue. I did some quick sums that I think (hope) are correct and if you were to do about 23k km a year (14.5k miles) in a 50mpg diesel over a 30mpg petrol then you'd be looking at fuel savings of around €1400 a year. That is not a figure to be taken lightly.

Sure the diesel will cost more to buy, but by the same principle that would make it worth more when you go to sell. I understand this isn't as big a margin on a €5k diesel saloon though.

Lastly if you take the Avensis and compare the 2.0 D4D and the 1.8 petrol in my opinion I would assume that the diesel would be a nicer car to drive than the petrol too. Just bear it in mind. :)

Other options would be a Saab 9-3 with the 150bhp 1.9 diesel engine which you could remap to 180 horses too. Quite a few around your budget.

You could also look at a Peugeot 406 HDI. Loads around which are way under your budget and many boardsies swear by them.

A Citroen C5 is another possibility too. Plenty around in either 2.0HDI or 1.6HDi engines.

E.g http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3350846

steve22 wrote: »

An avensis would be nice alright but i'd go for the saloon version if any... would it fit into the "not boring" category though??..........

Mazda 6 in petrol guise offers the perceived benefits of the Avensis in a more stylish package imo...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/1.8-SALO/5413310574553130/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think a nice Avensis would do the trick.

But he said "fun to drive", not "kill me now".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

how about 3 series bmw ? i have a 320d and love it :D 2l so tax isn't crazy , also fun to drive and nice looking car . you should easily get a nice clean one for that price .

• Advertisement

But he said "fun to drive", not "kill me now".

Fair enough but you can't have everything in a car for the OP's budget so I prioritised economy and practicality over how fun it is to drive. And the Avensis can't be THAT bad can it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Avensis can't be THAT bad can it? :D

It's worse than THAT!

Thanks for all the suggestions... The 320d BMW looks like a nice car alright. The Mazda6 isnt too bad either!!

Thanks for all the suggestions... The 320d BMW looks like a nice car alright. The Mazda6 isnt too bad either!!

But the Avensis diesel can royally shag off is it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I'm very, very shocked you didn't suggest either this
    Full?id=11749682

Or this
    Full-11399027.jpeg

As both are under 2 litres, both a pleasure to sit into and to drive, both have decent poke and most importantly, not a drab and dreary avensis... :pac:

Save the money on one of these and spend the rest on keeping it tip top. Fun and practical cars especially the JTD 156! :D

Money no object: Get a V6 of either :cool:

320d
    yes mine is a family car , easily fit 3 kids in the back , very economical on diesel , if you have any questions about them feel free to ask me , also if you are thinking of getting one have a look on bmw drivers.net , you can get lots of info there and some of the members have their cars for sale too .

HaHa:pac: - for some strange reason i got the impression from previous posts that it wasnt the most exciting car!!
    dgt wrote: »
    I'm very, very shocked you didn't suggest either this
    Full?id=11749682

Or this
    Full-11399027.jpeg

As both are under 2 litres, both a pleasure to sit into and to drive, both have decent poke and most importantly, not a drab and dreary avensis... :pac:

Save the money on one of these and spend the rest on keeping it tip top. Fun and practical cars especially the JTD 156! :D

Money no object: Get a V6 of either :cool:

The second picture is a nice one... is that the JTD156?

shooter57 wrote: »
    320d
    yes mine is a family car , easily fit 3 kids in the back , very economical on diesel , if you have any questions about them feel free to ask me , also if you are thinking of getting one have a look on bmw drivers.net , you can get lots of info there and some of the members have their cars for sale too .

Thanks man. I was looking at a few online but there seems to be a few different versions of the 320d... care to fill me in on the different specs?
    I'll have to check out that website anyway... probably get all the answers there!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,106 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks man. I was looking at a few online but there seems to be a few different versions of the 320d... care to fill me in on the different specs?
    I'll have to check out that website anyway... probably get all the answers there!

These are the basic differences:

ES - Base model - electric front windows, electric mirrors, manual air conditioning, cd player, plastic wheel trim.

SE - electric front and rear windows, cruise control, climate control, multi-function steering wheel, leather steering wheel and gear stick, rear parking sensors, front fog lights and alloy wheels.

M Sport - lowered sports suspension, alcantara sports seats, larger alloy wheels, front and rear bumper diffuser, carbon/aluminium dashboard/door inserts, M Sport steering wheel and gear stick.

You can spec any of the above models up with individual factory extras.

Thanks bazz26.
    Does the M-Sport have a similar spec to the SE? (Like electric windows, climate control, parking sensors etc) or is it more like the ES just with a few cosmetic differences?
    I do prefer the M-Sport bumpers and seats though!!

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    These are the basic differences:

ES - Base model - electric front windows, electric mirrors, manual air conditioning, cd player, plastic wheel trim.

SE - electric front and rear windows, cruise control, climate control, multi-function steering wheel, leather steering wheel and gear stick, rear parking sensors, front fog lights and alloy wheels.

M Sport - lowered sports suspension, alcantara sports seats, larger alloy wheels, front and rear bumper diffuser, carbon/aluminium dashboard/door inserts, M Sport steering wheel and gear stick.

You can spec any of the above models up with individual factory extras.

I'm a girl :D although my username doesn't suggest so ! I have the Se model with the spec Bazz listed but with full leather seats . The m sport are nice but can be a lot more expensive .

I'm a girl :D although my username doesn't suggest so ! I have the Se model with the spec Bazz listed but with full leather seats . The m sport are nice but can be a lot more expensive .
    sorry shooter... althought "thanks woman" doesnt really have the same ring to it!!!
    The SE model might be the better option if the M-Sport is alot dearer for a nicer bumper...
    Have you had any problems with your car since you bought it? anything in particular with that model i should be aware of when buying or any known issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭pcardin

i dont really want anything too boring

and then
    I like the Mondeo ST

Nothing much really more boring than Mondeo. Well...maybe Octavia or Passat. :confused:

sorry shooter... althought "thanks woman" doesnt really have the same ring to it!!!
    The SE model might be the better option if the M-Sport is alot dearer for a nicer bumper...
    Have you had any problems with your car since you bought it? anything in particular with that model i should be aware of when buying or any known issues?

after giving mine a lot of Tlc when I bought it , I'm very happy with it . I believe if you look after your car it will look after you , (which mine seems to be doing , touch wood !!) I kind of rushed into it , didn't know a lot about them but after reading up on them I think I am a bit more clued in !!
    have a look at mileage obviously , mine was pretty high at 170 , so things started to go in it , I've since changed the breather filter (which needs to be done every 2-3 services ,
    stick to the specific oil for the engine , the pulley in the engine snapped on me , got a reconditioned one put in for 70 , had a few warning lights come up but got them sorted since but overall I'm very happy with it .

Tyres can be pricey so try get one with good tyres (I didn't ) , check for warning lights on the dash ,and basically take your time looking around . hope this helps . good luck :)

pcardin wrote: »
    and then

Nothing much really more boring than Mondeo. Well...maybe Octavia or Passat. :confused:
    The Mondeo ST seems a decent enough car... has a few bits that set it aside from the "regular" Mondeo... in my opinion!!

after giving mine a lot of Tlc when I bought it , I'm very happy with it . I believe if you look after your car it will look after you , (which mine seems to be doing , touch wood !!) I kind of rushed into it , didn't know a lot about them but after reading up on them I think I am a bit more clued in !!
    have a look at mileage obviously , mine was pretty high at 170 , so things started to go in it , I've since changed the breather filter (which needs to be done every 2-3 services ,
    stick to the specific oil for the engine , the pulley in the engine snapped on me , got a reconditioned one put in for 70 , had a few warning lights come up but got them sorted since but overall I'm very happy with it .

Tyres can be pricey so try get one with good tyres (I didn't ) , check for warning lights on the dash ,and basically take your time looking around . hope this helps . good luck :)
    Would it be a case where you really should be taking it to a dealer to maintain rather than any independent place?
    I suppose buying any high milage car you run the risk of things going bad. If i can find one with a bit of service history it might be a slightly safer option...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,106 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks bazz26.
    Does the M-Sport have a similar spec to the SE? (Like electric windows, climate control, parking sensors etc) or is it more like the ES just with a few cosmetic differences?
    I do prefer the M-Sport bumpers and seats though!!

The M Sport has most of the standard equipment as the SE plus firmer sports suspension, larger/wider alloy wheels, sportier body kit, alcantara trimmed sports seats. The M Sport drives a bit different to the ES/SE and some people don't like the firmer ride of it. Leather trim is an optional extra on all versions. M Sports tend to fetch more money because there are fewer of them about and those that are tend to be in demand.

I recommend you drive a variety of each before making your mind up.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The M Sport has most of the standard equipment as the SE plus firmer sports suspension, larger/wider alloy wheels, sportier body kit, alcantara trimmed sports seats. The M Sport drives a bit different to the ES/SE and some people don't like the firmer ride of it. Leather trim is an optional extra on all versions. M Sports tend to fetch more money because there are fewer of them about and those that are tend to be in demand.

I recommend you drive a variety of each before making your mind up.
    thanks for the info Bazz...
    i'll take your advice and test a few before deciding on anything.

Advertisement