Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Fiscal Treaty Yes or No

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I'm voting NO.

I want the government to get serious with our spending problem.

I'm voting yes for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

NO,
    Sick to the teeth of hearing the words "stability" "unstable" No certain future, and the rest of the ****e that goes with this treaty, Our kids are forced out of their country to seek and wait for it "uncertain" future looking for a better life.

The Irish people made it very clear at the last election to FF get the **** out of government.

The Irish People also voted in a new government to get things sorted, and they are just sitting polishing chairs with their backsides.

Mr Kenny= Not 1 more cent for the banks? well he gave it to them.
    Mr Kenny= No more cronyism in government? Well 60% of gov have members of their own families working for them.

I could go on about the rest of the bare faced lies/empty promises that were made, they would say anything just to get into government!

Now are we going to trust the lies again from government?
    I think the best thing is to keep them on a short leash and see where it goes , because at the moment everything is uncertain so why should we rush to vote yes?

Im not a member of any party, just a good business man and this is where the Irish **** up everytime we elect a government.

Ireland is a fantastic country and it's also a business, so why is their allways an incompetent ****er running the government with **** all business brains, That just wants to sell Our souls to his German masters

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

banjacksed wrote: »
    NO,
    Sick to the teeth of hearing the words "stability" "unstable" No certain future, and the rest of the ****e that goes with this treaty, Our kids are forced out of their country to seek and wait for it "uncertain" future looking for a better life.

The Irish people made it very clear at the last election to FF get the **** out of government.

The Irish People also voted in a new government to get things sorted, and they are just sitting polishing chairs with their backsides.

Mr Kenny= No more cronyism in government? Well 60% of gov have members of their own families working for them.

I could go on about the rest of the bare faced lies/empty promises that were made, they would say anything just to get into government!

I think the best thing is to keep them on a short leash and see where it goes , because at the moment everything is uncertain so why should we rush to vote yes?

Im not a member of any party, just a good business man and this is where the Irish **** up everytime we elect a government.

Ireland is a fantastic country and it's also a business, so why is their allways an incompetent ****er running the government with **** all business brains, That just wants to sell Our souls to his German masters

Can't argue with that meïn freund

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lambcutlet

Ok so as a person with no background in this, this is what seems to be the message: we had rules already in place with a treaty in relation to the 3% GDP and our FF Government didn't follow it, Europe didn't intervene until it was too late, there was no consequence for the FF Governemnt except big payouts, so now they now want us to follow a treaty with not going beyond 0.5% GDP. This new treaty will mean that although we're already struggling to come in line with the 3% GDP, we can have more cutbacks to be under 0.5% GDP. . . . . . doesn't seem like the answer to me. I work with adults with a severe and profound intellectual disability and the cuts so far are already a step too far. So I'll be voting no. This current Government seems to be using the same bullying tactics as with the previous treaty. Their scare tactics are so un professional and I have no confidence in them now (and I voted FG).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

banjacksed wrote: »
    NO,

With respect, this is not a general election. The country is in an awful state and the Irish people were well warned that the agreement with the IMF/EU for bailout was going to be kept and that times were going to be hard. That is not to say that this Government have broken some promises, or done things that people (me included) are unhappy with. But they are much better then Fianna Fail, and there is absolutely no alternative in Ireland at the moment.

I fully agree people should voice their anger and disappointment at the government if your unhappy. I am one of many who have spoken to their representatives in meetings and raised many issues.

But this referendum has nothing to do with party politics. It is a very simple treaty that the No side are making seem far worse, and adding items that have absolutely nothing to do with this treaty. This treaty is about greater fiscal controls based on rules and figures we already agreed to. Its about having access to a bailout mechanism should we need it. That, whether we hate it or not, is certainty and stability. A vote No puts us in uncharted waters and into an unknown territory. Fact.

People need to educate themselves on this treaty without just looking at the Yes camp and No camps campaign material. Don't just take my word for it. Both will say what it takes to get your vote. If you read Independent sources such as the businesses small, medium and large who have educated themselves and made their feelings known publicly. If you read the various business and employers/employee groups views. If you read decent well respect and well known economists, not cowboy unknown economists who just blog about the economy and have no real credibility, who have made their views known. All of these people are much more honest and unbiased and know their stuff. Its their business to know whether the treaty is good for them or not. If you read these, then you have a better understanding and if not you can go onto say the Politics Forum and ask questions where people can point out the answers and back them up with facts that stack up.

Don't vote No just because your pissed with the government. If you don't trust them, research somewhere else for facts on whether the treaty is good or bad. Make your vote count to something, not just be wasted on an anti-government vote. Think of the future and not just the immediate future and government.

Remember - the Germans wont be the people deciding whether or not we breached the fiscal rules. They can not dictate to Ireland. They do not have the power. The only powers that can, are the EU Courts. The Germans may have took charge and left everyone at the side to get the EU the way they think it should be, but they are not the ones calling the shots. If they were, we wouldn't be having this referendum. Don't let those big countries ignore the fiscal rules they are bound to, and Vote Yes to the Fiscal Treaty which just adds new protections to prevent the abuse of the fiscal rules we already have introduced and that wont go away if we Vote No.

This isn't an Austerity Treaty. The No side are pointing at figures saying that's whats causing the Austerity and that's part of the treaty. Thats not correct. The figures, and only the actual accurate ones and not the ones they tend to pluck from the sky, they speak about are part of a pact we already have introduced and are bound by. So taking the advise and voting no wont make any difference - we will still have Austerity, if not more. Because we already have those rules on stricter spending in force, before this treaty.

There are plenty of things in Europe that we don't have the same. Corporation Tax being one of them. This treaty has nothing to do with corporation tax, or any form of taxation. If we Vote No, or if we Vote Yes, there is no difference to the level of protection on the corporation tax. A vote either way makes absolutely no difference. We got guarantees on this in the Lisbon treaty, after being told by the No side that treaty was going to bring Ireland into further despair and hardship, with abortion and conception and with our corporation tax being lost. All lies, just to get you to vote against the government. That was proven, and its time people woke up and spotted the lies in this campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Sully wrote: »
    With respect, this is not a general election. The country is in an awful state and the Irish people were well warned that the agreement with the IMF/EU for bailout was going to be kept and that times were going to be hard. That is not to say that this Government have broken some promises, or done things that people (me included) are unhappy with. But they are much better then Fianna Fail, and there is absolutely no alternative in Ireland at the moment.

I fully agree people should voice their anger and disappointment at the government if your unhappy. I am one of many who have spoken to their representatives in meetings and raised many issues.

But this referendum has nothing to do with party politics. It is a very simple treaty that the No side are making seem far worse, and adding items that have absolutely nothing to do with this treaty. This treaty is about greater fiscal controls based on rules and figures we already agreed to. Its about having access to a bailout mechanism should we need it. That, whether we hate it or not, is certainty and stability. A vote No puts us in uncharted waters and into an unknown territory. Fact.

People need to educate themselves on this treaty without just looking at the Yes camp and No camps campaign material. Don't just take my word for it. Both will say what it takes to get your vote. If you read Independent sources such as the businesses small, medium and large who have educated themselves and made their feelings known publicly. If you read the various business and employers/employee groups views. If you read decent well respect and well known economists, not cowboy unknown economists who just blog about the economy and have no real credibility, who have made their views known. All of these people are much more honest and unbiased and know their stuff. Its their business to know whether the treaty is good for them or not. If you read these, then you have a better understanding and if not you can go onto say the Politics Forum and ask questions where people can point out the answers and back them up with facts that stack up.

Don't vote No just because your pissed with the government. If you don't trust them, research somewhere else for facts on whether the treaty is good or bad. Make your vote count to something, not just be wasted on an anti-government vote. Think of the future and not just the immediate future and government.

Remember - the Germans wont be the people deciding whether or not we breached the fiscal rules. They can not dictate to Ireland. They do not have the power. The only powers that can, are the EU Courts. The Germans may have took charge and left everyone at the side to get the EU the way they think it should be, but they are not the ones calling the shots. If they were, we wouldn't be having this referendum. Don't let those big countries ignore the fiscal rules they are bound to, and Vote Yes to the Fiscal Treaty which just adds new protections to prevent the abuse of the fiscal rules we already have introduced and that wont go away if we Vote No.

This isn't an Austerity Treaty. The No side are pointing at figures saying that's whats causing the Austerity and that's part of the treaty. Thats not correct. The figures, and only the actual accurate ones and not the ones they tend to pluck from the sky, they speak about are part of a pact we already have introduced and are bound by. So taking the advise and voting no wont make any difference - we will still have Austerity, if not more. Because we already have those rules on stricter spending in force, before this treaty.

There are plenty of things in Europe that we don't have the same. Corporation Tax being one of them. This treaty has nothing to do with corporation tax, or any form of taxation. If we Vote No, or if we Vote Yes, there is no difference to the level of protection on the corporation tax. A vote either way makes absolutely no difference. We got guarantees on this in the Lisbon treaty, after being told by the No side that treaty was going to bring Ireland into further despair and hardship, with abortion and conception and with our corporation tax being lost. All lies, just to get you to vote against the government. That was proven, and its time people woke up and spotted the lies in this campaign.

very well put......not that i agree with a fiscal treaty......but people should know what they are voting for.....and it is very underhand for the opposition to bring politics into such a big a important decision.....

best of luck for the future..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

lambcutlet wrote: »
    Ok so as a person with no background in this, this is what seems to be the message: we had rules already in place with a treaty in relation to the 3% GDP and our FF Government didn't follow it, Europe didn't intervene until it was too late, there was no consequence for the FF Governemnt except big payouts, so now they now want us to follow a treaty with not going beyond 0.5% GDP. This new treaty will mean that although we're already struggling to come in line with the 3% GDP, we can have more cutbacks to be under 0.5% GDP. . . . . . doesn't seem like the answer to me. I work with adults with a severe and profound intellectual disability and the cuts so far are already a step too far. So I'll be voting no. This current Government seems to be using the same bullying tactics as with the previous treaty. Their scare tactics are so un professional and I have no confidence in them now (and I voted FG).

You say that the scare tactics are from the government? But the government are only telling you the truth - a No vote does put us into uncharted waters and unknown territory. Because if we do need a bailout after voting No, nobody is 100% sure where we will get it. In fact, nobody has any real concrete level of where we could get it. The IMF - looking unlikely, a former IMF director said so and the IMF themselves pulled away from claims saying they would. If they did, would the interest rates be higher? What terms would be attached to such a bailout? The Markets - Same problem as going with the IMF, if they were to lend to us (and note that our credit rating will drop if we vote No, a fact by the rating agency themselves confirmed) the rate would be very high as cost of borrowing is already high. Other funds such as pensions / wealth tax - no idea how much money, no idea how long it would take to get, no idea if its enough, etc.

The No side say its going to bring in more austerity and quote all these figures. Just like you did above, you were led to believe the treaty forces 0.5% - but this has been in place since 2005. Plenty of economists (such as Seamus Coffey) have shown the facts that we were well able to do this before, its not that hard and we could continue to do so in the future.

The 3% is the general government deficit, and is the same in the Treaty as in the current Stability & Growth Pact. The 0.5% 'structural deficit' rule is separate from the 3% general deficit rule, and is also in the current Stability & Growth Pact.

A further point, as well, which people seem to miss, is that the fiscal rules which can trigger an excessive deficit procedure are the 3% deficit and 60% debt rules. The 'structural deficit' rule does not trigger an excessive deficit procedure if breached - it is intended to trigger a domestic 'correction mechanism'.

So, you were misinformed. You got those figures and from what I can see panicked a little and thought that this meant even more hardship for the country as a result of this treaty alone. But that's not even remotely true. If you vote No, its the same thing. The rules the No side talk about will still be there. That's pure scaremongering and lies. And you don't trust the government? :)

As I said above though, in relation to the both parties, they are doing what they said they would be doing. But I don't think people paid much attention in the election and just assumed that FG & Labour would walk in and solve everything in a year without any cuts or pain. A year and a bit later, the country IS improving. We are seeing growth, meeting all targets in the IMF/EU agreement, looking at heading back to the markets after a good trial, thousands of jobs created, unemployment steadying, job losses slowing down (not going to be avoided as companies will make cut backs after going a little wild in the good times), income tax remained untouched (as promised), the government actually took a pay cut when they were first elected (not good enough and more needed, I agree) which is more than other politicians did in the past, cut down on excessive pensions going forward (seems that those who left are back in again, which needs to be sorted) and so on. Things have improved, things are on the up, but cuts and austerity will continue as promises for the foreseeable future no matter which way we vote. The government are far from perfect, but they are far from the worst. Its not the first time they were voted into government in a recession and financial disaster and they got us out of it in the past, and they will get us out of it now. It takes time, not a year! :)

lambcutlet wrote: »

You say that the scare tactics are from the government? But the government are only telling you the truth - a No vote does put us into uncharted waters and unknown territory. Because if we do need a bailout after voting No, nobody is 100% sure where we will get it. In fact, nobody has any real concrete level of where we could get it. The IMF - looking unlikely, a former IMF director said so and the IMF themselves pulled away from claims saying they would. If they did, would the interest rates be higher? What terms would be attached to such a bailout? The Markets - Same problem as going with the IMF, if they were to lend to us (and note that our credit rating will drop if we vote No, a fact by the rating agency themselves confirmed) the rate would be very high as cost of borrowing is already high. Other funds such as pensions / wealth tax - no idea how much money, no idea how long it would take to get, no idea if its enough, etc.

The No side say its going to bring in more austerity and quote all these figures. Just like you did above, you were led to believe the treaty forces 0.5% - but this has been in place since 2005. Plenty of economists (such as Seamus Coffey) have shown the facts that we were well able to do this before, its not that hard and we could continue to do so in the future.

The 3% is the general government deficit, and is the same in the Treaty as in the current Stability & Growth Pact. The 0.5% 'structural deficit' rule is separate from the 3% general deficit rule, and is also in the current Stability & Growth Pact.

A further point, as well, which people seem to miss, is that the fiscal rules which can trigger an excessive deficit procedure are the 3% deficit and 60% debt rules. The 'structural deficit' rule does not trigger an excessive deficit procedure if breached - it is intended to trigger a domestic 'correction mechanism'.

So, you were misinformed. You got those figures and from what I can see panicked a little and thought that this meant even more hardship for the country as a result of this treaty alone. But that's not even remotely true. If you vote No, its the same thing. The rules the No side talk about will still be there. That's pure scaremongering and lies. And you don't trust the government? :)

As I said above though, in relation to the both parties, they are doing what they said they would be doing. But I don't think people paid much attention in the election and just assumed that FG & Labour would walk in and solve everything in a year without any cuts or pain. A year and a bit later, the country IS improving. We are seeing growth, meeting all targets in the IMF/EU agreement, looking at heading back to the markets after a good trial, thousands of jobs created, unemployment steadying, job losses slowing down (not going to be avoided as companies will make cut backs after going a little wild in the good times), income tax remained untouched (as promised), the government actually took a pay cut when they were first elected (not good enough and more needed, I agree) which is more than other politicians did in the past, cut down on excessive pensions going forward (seems that those who left are back in again, which needs to be sorted) and so on. Things have improved, things are on the up, but cuts and austerity will continue as promises for the foreseeable future no matter which way we vote. The government are far from perfect, but they are far from the worst. Its not the first time they were voted into government in a recession and financial disaster and they got us out of it in the past, and they will get us out of it now. It takes time, not a year! :)

Enda is that u?....eh no. Wouldn't be capable of conjuring up such a lovely pleasant story about a fictional rebirth.

Any thanks for this man? Feel free to thank him. Is a best seller!!

Ireland's on the up u know!! I wish it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

If the Fiscal treaty is such a good thing, then why isn't it just implemented? Why bother voting on it in the first place, especially since most people don't understand it? It was the same crap with the Lisbon treaty.

EURATS wrote: »
    Enda is that u?....eh no. Wouldn't be capable of conjuring up such a lovely pleasant story about a fictional rebirth.

Yes, it is. Hi. Nice to meet you. :D
    Daveysil15 wrote: »
    If the Fiscal treaty is such a good thing, then why isn't it just implemented? Why bother voting on it in the first place, especially since most people don't understand it? It was the same crap with the Lisbon treaty.

We have to ask the people as it modifies our constitution. Likewise with Lisbon. The government didn't have a choice.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is. Hi. Nice to meet you. :D

Go on Sully ya chancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Who is voting for and against the Fiscal Treaty. Its time for the debate

When the treaty was agreed, our Brilliant taoiseach said there was no need for us to vote on it. Now he is begging us to vote yes. Dont understand it fully, but it appears that voting yes does make more sense, but you have to wonder seriously about Enda and co. First as i said there was no need for a vote, now he are pleeded with to vote it in.

blue note wrote: »
    Why no? Why not vote yes if you don't understand it? Or why not abstain?

Would you sign a form that you dont understand. So why put an X in a box you dont understand whats it about.

The EU is an undemocratic corrupt entity. The sooner it collapses ( and it will) the better.

Maybe it's time that this country stand on its own two feet without the begging bowl.

I'd hate to think where we would be right now had we not joined in 1973. We all would be a lot worse off in every way.

Black Suir wrote: »
    The EU is an undemocratic corrupt entity. The sooner it collapses ( and it will) the better.

Maybe it's time that this country stand on its own two feet without the begging bowl.

I'd hate to think where we would be right now had we not joined in 1973. We all would be a lot worse off in every way.

Really..that's interesting..considering if we hadn't joined, we wouldn't have known any different.
    Handouts don't garner pride or give one any sense of achievement.

When the treaty was agreed, our Brilliant taoiseach said there was no need for us to vote on it. Now he is begging us to vote yes. Dont understand it fully, but it appears that voting yes does make more sense, but you have to wonder seriously about Enda and co. First as i said there was no need for a vote, now he are pleeded with to vote it in.

It was never said by Enda or the government that we wouldn't be voting. He said that the Atterney General would decide whether or not a referendum was needed. She said yes. The government then announced the vote.

The opposition were calling for a referendum from the start with Sinn Fein desperate to get back into the courts claiming they would bring the government to court if they didn't.

Really..that's interesting..considering if we hadn't joined, we wouldn't have known any different.

And Ireland wouldn't be where it is today, without EU funding and support. That was his point. Plus the various EU Laws and the court itself which has helped Ireland progress.

A ‘balanced budget’ means that a government could not spend any more than it takes in taxes.

All Governments should be doing this, its simple housekeeping. Its the way i live anyway. If i have the money in my pocket i spend it, if i havent i cant. I dont think we need Europe to tell us that this is something we should be doing and if we need them to tell us, its time to get rid of what we have at Leinster House and those that advise them.

And Ireland wouldn't be where it is today, without EU funding and support. That was his point. Plus the various EU Laws and the court itself which has helped Ireland progress.

Where it is today? Are u about to write another novel? It's this funding that has left us with all the obligations that are currently drowning us.
    Also, a lot of the laws are pathetic and make it more expensive and complicated for businesses to operate. Am sure there are some that are good..feel free to point them out.

Where it is today? Are u about to write another novel? It's this funding that has left us with all the obligations that are currently drowning us.
    Also, a lot of the laws are pathetic and make it more expensive and complicated for businesses to operate. Am sure there are some that are good..feel free to point them out.

Christ almighty the negativity and scaremongering has reached an all new low. The majority of people in Ireland want to stay in Europe, and Membership has nothing to do with the treaty so ill leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Christ almighty the negativity and scaremongering has reached an all new low. The majority of people in Ireland want to stay in Europe, and Membership has nothing to do with the treaty so ill leave it at that.

Never mentioned the treaty being about EU membership. But the EU is mainly there for trade purposes..not as a big brother/mother which it has evolved into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I am taking my lead from Sinn fein and Declan Ganley and voting Yes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It's really amazing how much stupid and plain ignorant sh1t is being spouted over just these few pages on this very thread. It is even more amazing as this treaty is now really being rather simple and only a few pages strong. But some folks simply couldn't be arsed to form their opinion - whether it's a positive or negative one - based on facts and information. And as truly ignorant people they're actually expressing pride in their ignorance.
    Is it any wonder the country is in the state its in?

Trolls coming in talking incoherent nonsense now. Thread should be closed

Ah your not that bad yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Says the guy with all of 22 posts on his belt and the eloquent username? I'm impressed.

No, joking aside, was probably worded a bit strongly, but my point is: We're complaining about 'the quality' of our politicians but if this thread is anything to go by then they're only reflection of ourselves and just what we deserve.

There seems to be quite a large fraction that goes by 'I don't give a fvck, so fvck them anyway, NOOOOO' or along the lines of that. Thats not good is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

All Governments should be doing this, its simple housekeeping. Its the way i live anyway. If i have the money in my pocket i spend it, if i havent i cant. I dont think we need Europe to tell us that this is something we should be doing and if we need them to tell us, its time to get rid of what we have at Leinster House and those that advise them.
    Most people dont balance their budgets. Most people borrow large sums of money to buy a home and save large sums to fund retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

dvpower wrote: »
    Most people dont balance their budgets. Most people borrow large sums of money to buy a home and save large sums to fund retirement.

debt only becomes a problem, when it cannot be serviced.......yes, government should borrow for investment in infrastructure etc......but not just to pay it's everyday expenses..

Boskowski wrote: »
    It's really amazing how much stupid and plain ignorant sh1t is being spouted over just these few pages on this very thread. It is even more amazing as this treaty is now really being rather simple and only a few pages strong. But some folks simply couldn't be arsed to form their opinion - whether it's a positive or negative one - based on facts and information. And as truly ignorant people they're actually expressing pride in their ignorance.
    Is it any wonder the country is in the state its in?

Lots of people cant be arsed reading stuff they get thrown in their letter boxes and put it in the same place where the rest of it goes. The job of explaing it in simple english lies with the government. They should not only be telling us what voting yes will mean (which they want) but they should also be telling us what voting no will mean. The likes of John Halligan who wants us to vote no should also be telling us in plain and simple english what voting yes and no will mean. There is positives and negatives to what both sides want us to do. Someone like Halligan should come out and say enda kenny is right in asking us to vote yes to the treaty but voting yes could also mean such and such a thing. The yes side should also do the same. And remember on the day its most likely that it is the older people in the country that will take the time to get to their voting station and to put their X in the box, and they might not understand what is asked of them.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »

The foolish people do.

Advertisement