Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good facewash for men

• 02-04-2012 4:38pm

Just as the title says, does anyone know any good facewash for me? I've noticed my skin around my face feeling exceedingly tight and somewhat dry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I find this one good. It goes a long way too.

http://www.thehealthcounter.com/view/detail/7427

Then again I used a different one also for my nose and around my mouth which tends to be very greasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 watchingd

Probably a strange thread to add a first post on TGC but I don't think face washes work. Most of the face washes I have used (including nivea, l'oreal and the tea tree company) have tended to tighten the skin and make it feel uncomfortable.

I reckon just get yourself some men's (or even female) moisturiser and use it fairly sparingly. Should help with your skin feeling tight and dry.
    Also if you use a face scrub I would stop using it as if you read the fine print they usually say only use once a week, they can really make your skin feel dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I've had dry skin since I was 13 or so. I've been using this for years. It's been great for my skin.

http://www.amazon.com/Clarins-78161-ClarinsMen-Active-Face/dp/B0002CD0A8.

Bit pricey, but it usually lasts me two or three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

Go to Body Shop. They'll do a pH test on your skin and point you in the right direction.

And a matching moisturiser to boot... Would be lost here without them. Too cold in the winter (skin just dries up) and too hot in the summer (I burn up).

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Here is my top tip:

Get a tub of aqueous cream in the chemist. (Costs about E 4.50, lasts for several months).

Rub over your face when you get up in the morning. Have a coffee and a bowl of cereal, maybe bacon, egg and toast.

Shave in the usual way. You will find shaving 100 times easier and your skin will look better and younger.

No expensive products, no time consuming beauty routines! Just younger looking skin, effortlessly.

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

been using this for a couple of months now, bit pricey but it lasts months and doesn't dry out my face or anything

http://www.mankind.co.uk/anthony-logistics-glycolic-facial-cleanser-237ml/10222827.html

I use e45 cream whenever I badly need to moisturize. Didn't know about the Body Shop doing a pH test, so might check that out later on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Go to Body Shop. They'll do a pH test on your skin and point you in the right direction.
    Sounds like the best idea, as everyones face reacts differently to different products and thus there is no one-size-fits-all facewash. Personally, I only use water, as anything else causes spots :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

If your face is dry, whatever you're using to wash your face is too harsh; most soaps are like that.

Get a less harsh soap and it should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Nivea For Men: Sensitive Face Wash

I have very sensitive skin and this stuff has no alcohol/perfume/other irritants in it.

Leaves skin feeling clean and doesn't dry skin out/leave feeling tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Would use the two below - Nivea more often than the other one tbh find them both to be very good.

526959_l.jpg

CliniqueFaceScrub.jpg?200,200,1,,100,1548962673

Worth mentioning that using moisturiser is hugely important also - would recommend Niveas rehydrating or sensitive ranges both very good imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Nivea For Men: Sensitive Face Wash

I have very sensitive skin and this stuff has no alcohol/perfume/other irritants in it.

Leaves skin feeling clean and doesn't dry skin out/leave feeling tight.
    I got some of this on sale in Boots a while back, is it just me or does it not lather up at all?
    Compared to the other Deep Cleansing one above, it's odd.
    Can't complain about the effect, although I do get dry dead skin (white fluffy kind) after I shower, perhaps an exfoliating one I need?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I got some of this on sale in Boots a while back, is it just me or does it not lather up at all?
    Compared to the other Deep Cleansing one above, it's odd.
    Can't complain about the effect, although I do get dry dead skin (white fluffy kind) after I shower, perhaps an exfoliating one I need?

The lathering effect is made by sulphate ingredients, so it may be lacking in these ingredients, which is good! Less chemicals.

You should try a gentle exfoliator, The Body Shop and Clinique do nice ones. Use as directed, usually once or twice a week. Another option is to use your current face wash, but instead of just rinsing with water, remove the product with a warm, damp muslin cloth. The cloths can be gotten very cheaply in the baby products aisle.

Finally, you need a moisturiser for dry skin, use after face washing morning and night. I get dry patches and use Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel or Aqueous Cream. The Aqueous is seriously cheap, and can also be used as a cleansing face-wash.

Don't necessarily stick to "mens'" products, there's a far broader range to choose from. The brands associated with women often smell neutral (except for say rose water scented products), and don't have excessively feminine packaging, if that's a worry. The likes of Simple, Clinique, Clarins, Garnier etc are all very male and female friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Interesting thread. I have dry skin myself so I usually just buy whatever Nivea or Loreal face wash they have in Dunnes on the day I'm there. It's a bit hit and miss as sometimes the selection isn't great. I always use the Nivea moisturiser though and I like it.

I wouldn't mind a good deep cleanser, especially for the skin on my nose and everything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

This stuff is almost a cult product over on the Beauty forum! It's No 7 from Boots, and is about €13. It's often on 3-for-2 offers, or you can use the €7.50 off vouchers they are always giving out.

You massage the cleanser into dry skin, then using the muslin cloth very hot and damp, place it over your face and let it steam you clean. Then buff away the product with the cloth, and rinse face with cold water, moisturise. Could be worth a try, G-Money. I find it excellent.

no7-radiance-boosting-hot-cloth-cleanser-200ml-10373037.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For washing the face I would say Aqueous cream. Very effective, very little in it, not at all reactive, and moisturises too. Has a very good reputation as a face wash and moisturiser. Much gentler than soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

been trying to find decent facewash for years, everybody is different but i've found this vicky stuff to be very effective http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/Vichy-Homme-Purifying-Cleansing-Gel.html

also use this soap from Kiehls, not meant to use it on your face i think but I find it pretty effective every now and again for a good scrub http://www.kiehls.com/Ultimate-Man-Body-Scrub-Soap/589,default,pd.html

Advertisement