Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Gophur wrote: »
    What a stupid question!

A good player does not necessarily a good manager make. McGeeney was legendary is his complete and utter devotion to the game, the science behind teh game and all aspects of the game, when he was a player. I don't recall Canavan, for example, having the same approach? Listening to Canavan and his TV analysis wouldn't inspire one to appoint him as a manager.
    Is only stupid when your unable to answer it?

Canavan is one on the best commentators on TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Is only stupid when your[sic] unable to answer it?

Unable to answer it? Hardly. Look at the question again?

Canavan is one on the best commentators on TV!

Hardly. Nothing insightful or notable about anything he says, TBH. He doesn't bring a lot to the coverage.
    That said, there isn't a lot of competition when it comes to TV analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lemlin wrote: »
    Now I'll emphasis the important part of your post: "Now not a promise as such" and then I'll compare it to your earlier post "This is a league campaign in which Andrews was promising to gain promotion".
    Do I need to say anymore?

If your Cavan friends want to post then, as suggested previously, why don't you give them the url? As for Alan Clarke, he did not leave the panel. He asked not to be considered for a period due to work commitments. Tom Joad has also spelled this out above. A number of players did the same last year - Robert Maloney Dernham couldn't play for the U21s due to college exams, Oisin Minagh couldn't play for the seniors as he felt he had played enough football having played in the U21 championship. There's two examples. It happens all the time on panels all over the country.

You've made a number of personal comments about Val at this stage so, again, I'll ask you what's your personal agenda here? For someone who has previously not posted on the GAA forum in 4,000+ posts in less than a year on Boards, you've very strong views on Val Andrews. Other posters have also commented on it. Are you the relation of a disgruntled Louth player? Alot of your comments are of a personal nature referring to his personality rather than his actual ability.

I'll be honest, for me, Andrews isn't enough of a dictator. Cavan football has needed a dictator who pulls no punches for a long time. That's why I'd prefer to see Terry Hyland in there on his own.

1. On point one I have already explained that it was not a promise but not that far off.

2. The word around Kingscourt is that Clarke walked. Neither of us can prove otherwise on that but I believe my contacts. You and Tom Joad can disagree if you like but what about Mc Cutcheon then ?

3. I have no personal agenda and am not related to any Louth players. My comments and opinions are my own as I saw with my own two eyes what he did to Louth football. Andrews ability ? What has he achieved with a senior county team ?
    He has very little personality too again in my opinion, I have told him that before too. Instead of uniting a dressingroom he divides it. That kind of behaviour makes players afraid to express themselves on the field as they have to play to a certain plan even if they disagree with it or if it doesn't make sense to them.
    I also do not believe that a dictator will ever be successful because players will speak their minds whether he likes it or not and if he continues to just solve that by getting rid of players then he will have a mutiny in the future. You rule by consent as anybody with an ounce of cop-on would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Val Andrews was not appointed over a proven winner like Peter Canavan.

Canavan, as a coach, has won nothing, by the way. He is unproven.

Unlike Andrews who has a list of outstanding achievements :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

1. On point one I have already explained that it was not a promise but not that far off.
    Your first point was that he promised to gain promotion. Your clarification shows he did no such thing. Of course he was aiming for promotion, what division 3 manager wouldn't, but it was nowhere close to promising promotion.
    3. I have no personal agenda and am not related to any Louth players. My comments and opinions are my own as I saw with my own two eyes what he did to Louth football. Andrews ability ? What has he achieved with a senior county team ?
    He has very little personality too again in my opinion, I have told him that before too. Instead of uniting a dressingroom he divides it. That kind of behaviour makes players afraid to express themselves on the field as they have to play to a certain plan even if they disagree with it or if it doesn't make sense to them.
    Well I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he got Cavan to an Ulster final in his first stint.
    And, no offence, but the bolded part really makes it seem like you have something personal against Andrews. Also, it does seem suspicious to me that despite barely posting in the GAA forum before, all of a sudden you're posting non stop. I know it's not against the rules or anything, it just seems strange to me that a thread about Val Andrews has gotten you posting regularly only on this topic.

• Advertisement

Andrews is the Kate Adie of the G.A.A., wherever he goes there's trouble it seems.

Your first point was that he promised to gain promotion. Your clarification shows he did no such thing. Of course he was aiming for promotion, what division 3 manager wouldn't, but it was nowhere close to promising promotion.

Well I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he got Cavan to an Ulster final in his first stint.
    And, no offence, but the bolded part really makes it seem like you have something personal against Andrews. Also, it does seem suspicious to me that despite barely posting in the GAA forum before, all of a sudden you're posting non stop. I know it's not against the rules or anything, it just seems strange to me that a thread about Val Andrews has gotten you posting regularly only on this topic.

I onl;y posted in this thread when I read all the hype about a nonentity. AND you are right in so far as i didn't post here before because i always posted on my own county H.S. site. No crime there, Is there ?
    On the point of Andrews getting to an Ulster Final in his first year then the previous manager had done the ground-work. This must be true because he is now saying after his present two years that it takes time. See easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Andrews is the Kate Adie of the G.A.A., wherever he goes there's trouble it seems.

There is no question about it, Val Andrews is one of the best G.A.A. coachs walking. He might not be a great manager but as coachs go he has few equals. I have seen quite a few inter county managers get help from him over the years.

Every successful side has this combination of good manager and coach and maybe the problem here is Cavan dont have the in place at the moment.

Having seen Andrews up close the discipine he would want would be hard for a few lads to handle and maybe he is not the one to dispense this.

There you go again, off on another tangent. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

LeoB wrote: »
    There is no question about it, Val Andrews is one of the best G.A.A. coachs walking. He might not be a great manager
    Lol

• Advertisement

How is it a tangent?? You argued that Canavan has won nothing as a coach and I countered with the fact that your hero Val the man has had a much longer career in coaching, without ever actually winning anything himself.

Do try and keep up ;)

How is it a tangent?? ........

It's a tangent as Canavan has nothing to do with Cavan football and nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread.

While you're on a tangent, why not dream up a list of other All Ireland winners who might make it as a manager? Surely winning a medal is all the qualifications required? Shure why not just give The Anglo Celt Cup to Fermanagh now, and save the other eight counties trying to win it?

It's a tangent as Canavan has nothing to do with Cavan football and nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread.

While you're on a tangent, why not dream up a list of other All Ireland winners who might make it as a manager? Surely winning a medal is all the qualifications required? Shure why not just give The Anglo Celt Cup to Fermanagh now, and save the other eight counties trying to win it?

I also think Canavan will be a good successful manager. The players are bound to look up to him and respect his methods and opinions because he has experienced those methods and has had success by winning 3 All Irelands. They will know his methods work and respect him. Now Andrews in comparison has had no success and his methods are being questioned.
    Which would you choose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

LeoB wrote: »
    There is no question about it, Val Andrews is one of the best G.A.A. coachs walking. He might not be a great manager but as coachs go he has few equals. I have seen quite a few inter county managers get help from him over the years.

Every successful side has this combination of good manager and coach and maybe the problem here is Cavan dont have the in place at the moment.

Having seen Andrews up close the discipine he would want would be hard for a few lads to handle and maybe he is not the one to dispense this.

As good coach he might be but i'd quesion his skills as a manager. the skill ses needed for a manager and a coach are different in my experience. From what i've heard of him talking in the media he seems to have a great opinion of his own importance and talk a lot of high fluting bull**** and theoretical nonsence that would probably work in the classroom enviornment but i'd think would be hard to listen to if you were say working in Dublin and commuting to say cavan or clare or wexford on a wet tuesday night. A manager has to be able to coax and poke and relate and listen to lads and from what i've seen and heard of VA i'd doubt it he is particularly strong in this area (could be wrong). Main point being a good coach des not always make a good manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

2. The word around Kingscourt is that Clarke walked. Neither of us can prove otherwise on that but I believe my contacts. You and Tom Joad can disagree if you like but what about Mc Cutcheon then ?

I also do not believe that a dictator will ever be successful because players will speak their minds whether he likes it or not and if he continues to just solve that by getting rid of players then he will have a mutiny in the future. You rule by consent as anybody with an ounce of cop-on would know.

Will put this as simple as possible for you - Alan Clarke cannot commit to the panel for personal reasons your sources are talking through their arses but then again you seem to have a mate/source to back up every point :rolleyes:.

You have told him that yourself - that statement says it all - you should have been honest from the off and stated your agenda against Andrews which a few people here have suspected from the off - can't take anything you say seriously now.

But on the point of a dictatorship while I don't think a dictatorship is the best way of running a panel player power has been a big issue in Cavan football for a long while and there would appear to be an attitude and discipline problem in the past. I'm not aware of this being an issue at the minute from what I have heard there has been a good team spirit building in the camp and that's a huge positive for the team. There has been no mass walk offs or the like - not sure what the story is about McCutcheon but you'll understand why I won't take your word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

As good coach he might be but i'd quesion his skills as a manager. the skill ses needed for a manager and a coach are different in my experience. From what i've heard of him talking in the media he seems to have a great opinion of his own importance and talk a lot of high fluting bull**** and theoretical nonsence that would probably work in the classroom enviornment but i'd think would be hard to listen to if you were say working in Dublin and commuting to say cavan or clare or wexford on a wet tuesday night. A manager has to be able to coax and poke and relate and listen to lads and from what i've seen and heard of VA i'd doubt it he is particularly strong in this area (could be wrong). Main point being a good coach des not always make a good manager

Intresting point especially considering that Andrews was the manager previously but was brought back as part of a team with Terry Hyland - maybe the county board felt the same way. Would agree that a good coach doesn't always make a good manager - Mckelkennon (horrendous spelling sorry!!) would be a case in point but he is the manager and we are crying out for a bit of stability especially when we have had success at minor and under 21 last year. We have something to build on and causing upheaval by getting rid of another manager would be counterproductive at this stage.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Will put this as simple as possible for you - Alan Clarke cannot commit to the panel for personal reasons your sources are talking through their arses but then again you seem to have a mate/source to back up every point :rolleyes:.

You have told him that yourself - that statement says it all - you should have been honest from the off and stated your agenda against Andrews which a few people here have suspected from the off - can't take anything you say seriously now.

But on the point of a dictatorship while I don't think a dictatorship is the best way of running a panel player power has been a big issue in Cavan football for a long while and there would appear to be an attitude and discipline problem in the past. I'm not aware of this being an issue at the minute from what I have heard there has been a good team spirit building in the camp and that's a huge positive for the team. There has been no mass walk offs or the like - not sure what the story is about McCutcheon but you'll understand why I won't take your word for it.

I really couldn't care less whether you take my word for anything at all Tom. The point is Cavan have NO chance under Andrews because he hasn't a clue.
    Now time will tell but I would bet big money on it. You never listed his successes because there are none. Dictatorship does NOT work.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

1. There's a big difference between promising promotion and a manager saying he sees no reason why a team should be in Division 2. You'd be better off just admit that you were incorrect now.

2. As Tom Joad said, its funny you have a contact who doesn't post here to back up everything you've said. As I previously said, why not give these lads the url and ask them to come and post their thoughts here. Clarke did not walk away from the panel. He asked to not be considered for a while. I've already given a couple of examples of players did the same last year but were able to commit to the panel this year so if players had a problem with Val and that was the real reason for leaving why would they be back this year? As for McCutcheon, I'm told he was asked to play full back and didn't want to so walked away from the panel. I have brought this point up because you keep pushing about McCutcheon but I'll happy admit I have nothing here to back up what I've been told. If that is the reason, there are those who'll say the lad wasn't happy playing there so wouldn't and fair play to him but there are also those who will say that when you're in a panel you play where you are asked. Look at Ronan Flanigan for example. I doubt he's too thrilled to be playing corner back but he's doing it.

3. You have no personal agenda yet you go on to say "He has very little personality too again in my opinion, I have told him that before too." So, may I ask, where and why did you tell Val this? I see no problem with a dictator. It's what Cavan football needed years ago. One apt quote I think in relation to this is about Ger Loughnane when a former Clare player said “Ger Loughnane was fair," he said. “He treated us all the same during training – like dogs.” Clare won the All-Ireland under Loughnane so it didn't do them any harm.

County players are generally strong minded individuals who are used to being top of the roost at their respective clubs. God help you trying to rule by consent with 30 lads like that. Do you think every county manager around the country rules by consent? Cavan is also a county where more senior players have had too much say in the past so good luck to Val if he is cutting that out. It's about time it happened.
    And managers do rule by consent - the consent of them and their selectors. Not their players.

I really couldn't care less whether you take my word for anything at all Tom. The point is Cavan have NO chance under Andrews because he hasn't a clue.
    Now time will tell but I would bet big money on it. You never listed his successes because there are none. Dictatorship does NOT work.:rolleyes:

He got Cavan to an Ulster final in 2001. As for success, Andrews has worked with Louth and Cavan. They're hardly Dublin or Kerry we're talking about.

Again, you go on a personal rant about Andrews. Do you actually care about the thread title re Sean Johnston or are you just here to vent your personal vendetta against Andrews?

Everyone has seen through it at this stage.

I personally think Val Andrews is fantastic. A breath of fresh air to Cavan football. A fantastic manager who is being attacked by a Louth fan who can't see how terrible Louth were when he arrived. As I've said, are you aware that Louth lost to a terrible Cavan team in 2003, the year before Val arrived? He had nothing to work with. To me, it looks like Val started the good work back in 04 and 05 that got Louth to a Leinster final last year so well done Val. Now he is brave enough to start the same with Cavan. Narrow minded fans from Cavan, like narrow minded supporters like you in Louth, mightn't be wise enough to see the good work he is starting but he's brave enough to cope with the ignorance and criticism. I will personally be putting Val forward for the Irish Times Man of the Year Award. What a fantastic gent.

I brought Canavan up because I feel Cavan should have went for him. I also feel they should have gone for Justin McNulty.

Fermanagh have no chance of winning the Anglo Celt Cup but, for me, under Canavan they've moved from being the worst team in Ulster. A spot now occupied by Cavan sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Val Andrews was not appointed over a proven winner like Peter Canavan.

Canavan, as a coach, has won nothing, by the way. He is unproven.

As a coach, he led Errigal Ciaran to a league title in Tyrone in 2009, after taking over in Dec 2008 - so he has actually won something as a coach

As a coach, he led Errigal Ciaran to a league title in Tyrone in 2009, after taking over in Dec 2008 - so he has actually won something as a coach

Jaysus how is Mickey Harte still in a job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I think he's actually won the league there in 2011 as well IIRC

Andrews won the interprovincial title as manager twice in the mid 2000s so it seems we're dealing with two proven winners now :pac:

He got Cavan to an Ulster final in 2001. As for success, Andrews has worked with Louth and Cavan. They're hardly Dublin or Kerry we're talking about.

Again, you go on a personal rant about Andrews. Do you actually care about the thread title re Sean Johnston or are you just here to vent your personal vendetta against Andrews?

Everyone has seen through it at this stage.

I personally think Val Andrews is fantastic. A breath of fresh air to Cavan football. A fantastic manager who is being attacked by a Louth fan who can't see how terrible Louth were when he arrived. As I've said, are you aware that Louth lost to a terrible Cavan team in 2003, the year before Val arrived? He had nothing to work with. To me, it looks like Val started the good work back in 04 and 05 that got Louth to a Leinster final last year so well done Val. Now he is brave enough to start the same with Cavan. Narrow minded fans from Cavan, like narrow minded supporters like you in Louth, mightn't be wise enough to see the good work he is starting but he's brave enough to cope with the ignorance and criticism. I will personally be putting Val forward for the Irish Times Man of the Year Award. What a fantastic gent.

Ha ha what a fantastic gent indeed. Here's a few lads who will second your nomination ha ha
    Sign here if you want Lyng, Mackey, Johnston etc. back
    the whole thing is a major car crash , how is the county board sitting by and letting this happen ,never seen it as bad ,its so easy for cavan folk to lose interest in the whole lot
    bisto kid , 14/02/2012 at 19:32

Cavan vs Longford NFL Div 3
    We need a true full back , a good genuine corner back, 2 half backs who are more than runners, 2 half forwards who can link and score, and 2 scoring full forwards, ...this opinion based on what we saw last Saturday night. It is very disheartening to hear of so many good players now leaving the panel and I am still not convinced that the best players in the county have been selected to play between the Mc Kenna cup campaign and the 2 league games we have seen. We have now seen at least 5 backs appear game after game and they just are not good enough. our County Board on our behalf has invested a lot of resources in this so called non-panel since November, in return they have got
    -exhausted young players who are becoming disillusioned
    -players of mediocre talent being selected repeatedly
    -talented committed players leaving in frustration
    -a management/selection team that appears to be directionless in terms of a game plan/style of play.
    -a supporter base that is in despair, the despair around Breifnie Park and later in Cavan town on Saturday evening was unreal.

Ultimately the County Board is responsible,having appointed the current manager/selectors/trainers. Yes they appointed these people and expect them to do a job,but in the current climate is it not time to start asking questions. If a management team sees that what they are doing is not working and clearly it is not (particularly defensivly) then they need to have the flexibility and the courage to make the necessary changes.
    cfsm2012 , 14/02/2012 at 19:06

Many of your county men seem to have seen through Val ha ha.

Ha ha what a fantastic gent indeed. Here's a few lads who will second your nomination ha ha

That is extremely annoying. Make your point by all means but there's no need to get childish.
    I have to say, while I have no opinion on Val Andrew's capabilities as a manager, it is plainly obvious from your postings and the fact that you have admitted that you had run ins personally with him before that you do have some sort of vendetta against the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Back to the thrend...

Does anyone actually know if or when the transfer will be decided if johnson will go to kildare????

why can ya's just set up a new thrend about the managerial or coaching skills of cavan:p

Sign here if you want Lyng, Mackey, Johnston etc. back
    the whole thing is a major car crash , how is the county board sitting by and letting this happen ,never seen it as bad ,its so easy for cavan folk to lose interest in the whole lot
    bisto kid , 14/02/2012 at 19:32

Cavan vs Longford NFL Div 3
    We need a true full back , a good genuine corner back, 2 half backs who are more than runners, 2 half forwards who can link and score, and 2 scoring full forwards, ...this opinion based on what we saw last Saturday night. It is very disheartening to hear of so many good players now leaving the panel and I am still not convinced that the best players in the county have been selected to play between the Mc Kenna cup campaign and the 2 league games we have seen. We have now seen at least 5 backs appear game after game and they just are not good enough. our County Board on our behalf has invested a lot of resources in this so called non-panel since November, in return they have got
    -exhausted young players who are becoming disillusioned
    -players of mediocre talent being selected repeatedly
    -talented committed players leaving in frustration
    -a management/selection team that appears to be directionless in terms of a game plan/style of play.
    -a supporter base that is in despair, the despair around Breifnie Park and later in Cavan town on Saturday evening was unreal.

Ultimately the County Board is responsible,having appointed the current manager/selectors/trainers. Yes they appointed these people and expect them to do a job,but in the current climate is it not time to start asking questions. If a management team sees that what they are doing is not working and clearly it is not (particularly defensivly) then they need to have the flexibility and the courage to make the necessary changes.
    cfsm2012 , 14/02/2012 at 19:06

If I wanted to debate with the idiots on Hogan Stand, I'd post on Hogan Stand. As I said in my original post " Narrow minded fans from Cavan, like narrow minded supporters like you in Louth, mightn't be wise enough to see the good work he is starting but he's brave enough to cope with the ignorance and criticism".

Now, I'll ask again, why the personal vendetta against the man? And don't try fooling anyone by saying you don't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Didn't make too much headway in the Tyrone Senior Championship to be fair, infact some may say he flopped in the Championship as opposed to winning it. A benchmark all club coaches should aspire to .

• Advertisement

If I wanted to debate with the idiots on Hogan Stand, I'd post on Hogan Stand. As I said in my original post " Narrow minded fans from Cavan, like narrow minded supporters like you in Louth, mightn't be wise enough to see the good work he is starting but he's brave enough to cope with the ignorance and criticism".

Now, I'll ask again, why the personal vendetta against the man? And don't try fooling anyone by saying you don't have one.

No agenda at all, just find it unbelievable that Cavan would appoint someone who has no personality or tact with his players and let the best players go. He ruined Louth football and I told him so as did many others, apart from that I can't understand how he could be trusted by another county as he has had no success anywhere. Has Mc Keever left with Mc Cutcheon now too ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement