Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mondeo Metallic Silver Vs Silver Doors

• 13-07-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hello!

hope someone can help on this. I have to replace two doors on a Mondeo saloon 2005 (passenger front and driver rear).

I have sourced two doors (from a car breakers) where the guy has confirmed that the doors are silver and not metallic from a 2004 mondeo.

My question is (assuming the door will fit and attach etc.) is there a significant difference in the colour between silver and metallic? I heard from somehwere that mondeos only come in metallic silver? Dunno about this.

How much would it cost to get two doors spray painted to blend with the existing colour of the car?

What else should I consider? Any other pitfalls to be aware of......

Thanks in advance.

fini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I don't know if they came in metallic and non metallic but there would be a difference alright if they did. You probably wouldn't have much change out of €500 repainting both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There's no such thing as non-metallic silver, certainly not in the Ford range anyway. I think Ford call it "moondust silver metallic".

So I guess they should match... but might not be perfect! The shade might be slightly different depending on the car they came off, where the doors were stored, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Thanks for that.

Fini

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

As far as I know, all silver paint is metallic. I'm open to correction on that but that's what I always thought.

I hope you get the same paint match but if the doors are a bit duller compared to your own paint, a liquid polish (e.g. meguiars) would more than likely bring them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

If you can get the two vin numbers (one from your car and one from the donor car) and put them into this, it should tell you exactly what paint the cars have. e.g. mine comes up as " Jewel Green (Metallic)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ford have done a few different shades of silver over the years. Not sure about the Mondeo but the Focus was available in more than one shade of silver.

media?xwm=y&id=12337195&width=400&height=300
    media?xwm=y&id=9507331&width=400&height=300

These look like two different shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ford have done a few different shades of silver over the years. Not sure about the Mondeo but the Focus was available in more than one shade of silver.

That is cause second car is a Mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

Ford has about 10 shades silver colours on cars, but there is 2 or 3 of them non-metalic!!!! Small chance to find another mondeo with exact silver shade as u have on your mondeo. Better to buy any color doors and get them painted by profis.

couple examples(for mondeo) ..ASTOR GREY, HYPNOTIC SILVER, LEVANTE GREY, MACHINE SILVER, STARDUST SILVER, MOONDUST SILVER, NANTUCKET GREY, OYSTER SILVER, SEA GREY, POLARIS GREY, THUNDER GREY etc etc ..good luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That is cause second car is a Mondeo

Both cars are Mondeos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Both cars are Mondeos.

I've spent ages looking at those 2 pics and have come to the same conclusion as you bazz.

OP - Silver is metallic, but as mentioned there are a lot of different shades.

Can't remember the names, but there was a dark silver in 05 along with Moondust Silver (normal silver silver).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Both cars are Mondeos.

Sorry, long day and tired eyes, for some reason the first one looked like a Focus to me.

Even if the scrap parts are the same colour name as your car, they still could be a different shade.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Non metallic silver 2005? Nah.

Hi everyone,

thanks for the advice and support on this one. I got a quote for spraying two doors - €800! I think not! That was a city quote so now waiting on another quote from a guy at home.

Not going to be easy to find matching doors!

Thanks again.

fini

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I wouldn't consider the 2nd one silver. It's closer grey.

wtf???? 200 max for one door in W'ford .. 800 is too much ..try to find someone else to paint it for less. GL

wtf???? 200 max for one door in W'ford .. 800 is too much ..try to find someone else to paint it for less. GL

Dublin prices.....rip off! Waiting for another quote......

thats sick

Advertisement