Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freezing Vegetable Mash

• 17-04-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭

I like to make a mash of carrots, spuds and parsnip sliced up in my steamer then mashed with butter and onion thrown in, simple but one of the nicest things I cook. Its an awful lot of work for a lazy person like me in the evenings after getting in from work or exercise though.

Will it turn out a total mess if I make a big batch of it and fill up some freezer containers from Dealz and just microwave one from frozen when I want it? I recently got an airfryer and its so easy to make nice meat in 15-30 minutes with it that I was thinking if I had some way to freeze nice mash (cant stand the frozen veg) I could start making really nice dinners for myself after the gym instead of the trash I eat now.

Any suggestions on better ways to do this?

Am I losing a lot of nutrients doing it this way?
    Can I freeze it with the butter and onion already added?

Im a novice cook if you hadn't guessed :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It'll be perfect - I do it all the time :)
    I don't like the flavour of plain mashed potato that's been frozen, but others on the forum have said they do so that's a matter of personal taste. I think it would be nicer mixed with other veg.
    Mixed Frozen carrot/parsnip/turnip mashes all taste exactly as they did when freshly cooked, and having the butter and onion in shouldn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Brilliant thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd be inclined to leave the butter out when you mash and freeze it, and add it back when you reheat. It would help with flavour and moisture in my opinion. But there's no issue freezing with butter already added.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This worked out perfectly btw, indistinguishable from freshly made mash. Got a few carrot and parsnip trays from Aldi and bags of white potatoes for 40 cent each and I ended up making nearly 2 weeks worth of veg for about €3 :eek:

I didn't add butter before I froze it. I filled all 3 compartments in the steamer with chopped veg for 40 minutes then threw in a chopped onion and mashed it all in a flatmates stockpot, packed it into a big plastic container from Aldi and divided it into 9 cubes with a spatula before freezing it.

Absolutely perfect after 10 minutes in the microwave and mashed on the plate with grated cheese and butter, so convenient and cheap, made dinner in 15 minutes this evening with zero washing up :D

9koPzI9.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thargor wrote: »
    with zero washing up :D

<picture snipped>

Licked the plate clean?

• Advertisement
Advertisement