Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best place to buy nuts

Options
  • 09-03-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I used to get almond nuts in Aldi but can't seem to find them there anymore. Are there other shops or sites online that I can buy them for at Aldi prices? Just did a quick Google and all the options look expensive.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You clearly did not look hard enough.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261591556

Did you try Lidl? Dunnes? Supervalu? Dealz? €2 Shop? Let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Yes had a look in Lidl and Supervalu (not Dunnes) recently and both were expensive and from memory Dunnes ain't cheap but what you've linked looks like a good price. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lidl have a good selection of pecans, brazil nuts, walnuts and cashnews at good prices less than €3 for 200g. Think they have whole almonds as well in baking section

Ya I've seen them but I'm not gone on the mixture. Love the almonds. Will buy a load of them. Surprised by that Tesco price tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ya I've seen them but I'm not gone on the mixture. Love the almonds. Will buy a load of them. Surprised by that Tesco price tbh.
    They should have them individually never bought the mix. They're definitely the cheapest for brazils and pecans. Like roasted almonds and use them cooking but don't like them for snacking and breakfast like the others.

• Advertisement

Went to Tesco Navan yesterday. Hard to find the €1.99 almonds. Was in the nut/natural products section and they were about €3.19 for 200g there so I asked a fella where the €1.99 almonds were and he brought me to the baking section an low and behold there they were. Just 3 packets left. Asked them did they have anymore and they said no. I thought a good salesperson would say no, but I'll go look in the storeroom. Picked up Hazelnuts as well, €2.49/200g.

Had looked in Dunnes prior to this and they were over €3 for the Shamrock brand and only 160g. A euro store didn't have them and Aldi only had the desiccated almonds in stock the last few months. No sign o the whole almonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I asked a fella where the €1.99 almonds were and he brought me to the baking section an low and behold there they were.
    If nuts are salted and/or roasted there is 23% vat added. Unroasted nuts are zero rated

So a sprinkle of salt in that 1.99 bag would set you back 46cent!

Some people presume the baking ones might be lower quality, and that's the reason for the price difference, like how most cooking chocolate is lower quality.

rubadub wrote: »
    If nuts are salted and/or roasted there is 23% vat added. Unroasted nuts are zero rated

So a sprinkle of salt in that 1.99 bag would set you back 46cent!

Some people presume the baking ones might be lower quality, and that's the reason for the price difference, like how most cooking chocolate is lower quality.

What's the reason for adding vat to salted/roasted nuts?

Is cooking chocolate lower quality than say a bar of dairymilk? I don't eat either anymore, try and eat 70% or more of the cocoa stuff. Tesco do a good one for less than a euto.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What's the reason for adding vat to salted/roasted nuts?

Is cooking chocolate lower quality than say a bar of dairymilk? I don't eat either anymore, try and eat 70% or more of the cocoa stuff. Tesco do a good one for less than a euto.

Ingredients vs. takeaway food I'd guess., And yes, cooking chocolate is usually much lower quality than normal bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayself

lidl seem to always have good prices and a good range

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Try Dealz, as per second post, slightly more expensive
    http://www.dealz.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=nut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Whole almonds ( 200gm packs ) are back in stock in Aldi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cakeboyee20

I would agree, aldi is a good place for most things fresh.

saw them alright and picked up about 10 bags so I now have about 4kg of almonds to snack on. should keep me going for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Ditto :):):)

Do you eat them out of the packet ? or do things to them ?

I put them in the oven 15 min @ 140C ( shake up half way thru ).....brings out a bit of toasty roasty flavour without turning them bitter

Lidl are same price but not as good for what I do to them ( cant figure out why )

Advertisement