Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beating writer's block

• 17-05-2014 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I have a problem and I need some advice. I have a crippling writer's block that I can't get rid of. I have some ideas for stories but when it comes to writing the story, nothing. What should I do? Would enrolling in a writing course help in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

When I find the words aren't coming as easily as other times, I tend to do a
    bit of freewriting. I keep a pen and paper on my bedside table, so that as soon
    as I awaken I freewrite for a few pages; just whatever comes into my mind,
    anything at all.

I also find that before I sit down to work on a piece, it's good to do a few
    minutes of freewriting - just let your mind wander, write anything.

When you start working on a story, know that it's never going to be
    perfect - there'll be plenty of time for editing, re-writes etc But get something
    down on the page; by doing so, you'll be doing more than a lot of people,
    who continually talk about writing but never actually write.

I'm sure writing courses can help with discipline, getting feedback, meeting
    with other writers, maybe help your confidence. But the most important
    thing you can do, to learn, is just to write.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What's your fear?

I'd imagine most writer's block stems from fear of one sort or another.

For me it was always the fear of being an awful writer. Of writing something that was crap, or that other people thought was crap.

The thing is, there is no way to become a writer who is not altogether awful without practice. You have to give yourself license to fail, to be an awful writer, to churn out a load of toss. Write it. No one else needs to see it. It's yours.

You'll see yourself improving, and eventually you'll feel like sharing.

Creative writing classes force you to produce, because you know you'll be reading aloud in the next one. Everyone is in the same boat too, so it could be a crash course in losing the fear.

+1 on the freewriting idea in the above post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I agree with Das Kitty. Just allow yourself to write absolute garbage and the words will soon flow. If you put pressure on yourslf to write the perfect script, short story etc from scratch, you will be staring at a blank page for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

I literally copy a passage from a book that I really like, I open up a section of a book I like and start typing, copy the words exactly form the page. For me it's like jump starting a car. After less than a page I am 'in the zone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Repeat to yourself. "All first drafts are crap." You don't have to write anything good, you just have to write. Put any sort of crap down on the page, just as long as it's words. Keep writing until you hit your target. Don't worry about the steaming pile of crap you've dumped into your laptop. You can fix it all on the edits.

Oh, a handy trick for writer's block when dealing with a specific scene is to write it as an e-mail. No one has writer's block when e-mailing, we sit down and knock out a thousand words effortlessly, barely stopping to fix typos. So write your scene as an e-mail, either from the pov of one of your characters, or just you telling a friend about the scene you are going to write.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 MakeMyFriend

Write something else, watch a movie, rewrite what you had, lay it out differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 What I really think!

EileenG wrote: »
    Repeat to yourself. "All first drafts are crap." You don't have to write anything good, you just have to write. Put any sort of crap down on the page, just as long as it's words. Keep writing until you hit your target. Don't worry about the steaming pile of crap you've dumped into your laptop. You can fix it all on the edits.

Oh, a handy trick for writer's block when dealing with a specific scene is to write it as an e-mail. No one has writer's block when e-mailing, we sit down and knock out a thousand words effortlessly, barely stopping to fix typos. So write your scene as an e-mail, either from the pov of one of your characters, or just you telling a friend about the scene you are going to write.

I have been struggling to start writing. I really want to and some of my future work could depend on it and this is some of the best advice that I have heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Find a peaceful place(away from where you normally write) where your mind naturally wanders free. And bring a notebook.
    My problem is that I get all these ideas, but I don't bother to write them down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I found being accountable to someone really helps which is why I'm trying to submit something to all of the recent VOATs and write club deadlines. Maybe join a writing group?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

segarox wrote: »
    I have a problem and I need some advice. I have a crippling writer's block that I can't get rid of. I have some ideas for stories but when it comes to writing the story, nothing. What should I do? Would enrolling in a writing course help in any way?

What I would say would be:

Firstly, Relax! Don't panic.
    Secondly, don't try and force yourself to write. This is something where you have to let it come naturally to you.

Try and think of it like a river. A river never flows entirely smoothly either. You are going to hit a lot of bumps and obstacles along the way but you will eventually get to your destination.

Also, it's important to keep a writers notebook so that you can write down any ideas that you have for your stories so that you'll be able to add to them as you go along.

Writing is a craft and it can be quite hard so the best thing to do is to try and take it in small steps. You CAN do it!

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭segarox

I have started to overcome the block and I would like to get some feedback, check out my blog and give them a read https://cruserbladezz.wordpress.com/tales-from-an-elevator/

I do plan to work on more and if you want to give me general blog feedback, that'd be welcome too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Brian Eno came up with a creative solution for musicians working in the studio. The 'Oblique Strategies'. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies

Available an app. Free on iOS. Not sure about 'droid. Can't hurt to try, and may lead to interesting accidents!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.multiply.strategies.oblique&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I know this is a resurrected thread but I figured I'd add my 2c.

I find a lot of the time I have writer's block it's because I'm not happy with something in the book, or where I'm going with the book, or something else with my writing.

That's what happened to me with my last book. I was writing romance (unsuccessfully, but it's a tough aul slog) and I realised I was very much relying on the protagonist's insight and thoughts on everyday, mundane things to give my story its oompf. After about 120k words of this being a problem (and about 40k words of having recognised it, and 25k words into a WIP novel with this as a screaming issue) I decided to move to a different genre to specifically tackle and address/work on what I knew was an issue with my writing; I needed to up the drama levels. In doing so I think I've written my best work yet, and I'm immensely proud of it. And in writing that book I've spotted other areas where I'm falling down. You'll never be perfect, but you will learn more about your writing as you write.

I think a lot of the time writer's block is having a hangup with your own writing, and not knowing what to do about it. So you have to write more to figure out what that hang up is, or identify it by some introspection on your writing.

There are of course times you're just feeling like crap because you ate too many sausages, or had a few too many gin and tonics. If that's the case you just have to power through. Sometimes it's an issue with what you're writing or how you're writing, and you need to see what that is to deal with it. Sometimes it's indigestion.

(This is all based off something I've looked at with my own writing having listened to Brandon Sanderson's lectures on writing, and specifically his talk on writer's block. He taught a course with every lecture video'd. It's ostensibly about writing Sci-Fi and Fantasy but 90% of what he talks about, like writer's block applies to every form of writing. http://www.writeaboutdragons.com/brandon_w2012/)

Having said all that I think the best way to deal with this is not to set your sights too high. There's no point in aiming to be the next Joyce, or Melville, or any lauded writer. The reality is you're either going to write that genius novel straight off, in which case you're a genius and congrats on that. Or you're going to have to work hard at developing as a writer. I can guarantee if you try you can write a better book than some of what's been on the NYT Bestsellers List. There's some awful crap that does really well. Whether your book sells as well as them is a different matter, but you can write a better book than them. Maybe not as good as most bestsellers, but better than a lot.

To write that book takes effort though. I haven't been writing for a huge amount of time, but I have started and finished about seven works by now. I self-published them because I thought, "Why not?" (And had some decent reviews, because although they're not amazing they were what a couple of readers were looking for.) But I started and finished them.

I started with 10k shorts because I didn't feel I could do anything longer. Then I went to a 30k novella, then a 20k novella, and I've just finished and literally published last night something that's bordering between a novella and a short novel. The reality is I kept writing, I looked at what I was writing and where my shortcomings were and I'm going to be looking at addressing these areas as they come up. I will never be the best author in the world. I will never write the perfect novel. I am happy with what I write because I know I put as much as I could into it, and some people seem to have found enjoyment in my stories (and I have the e-mails from random people to prove it.)

Write and accept it for what it is, your best effort. Then look at how you can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I plough on using just dialogue, in script format. Then I go back and pad it out with narrative later. It keeps the momentum going.

Advertisement