Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Creative Writing - Where is everybody?

• 10-02-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Ahoy! I just re-joined boards this week and have been trying to find my bearings about the place.

I'm disappointed and a little sad that the Creative Writing section seems to be moving along a lot slower than other areas of the site. Has it always been like this or are people just not interested? I'm sure there are some fantastic folks here who could really help to create a fantastic writing community.

I'd love to get some weekly/monthly (or whatever) virtual meetups to share work and perhaps some friendly "competition" (not really the word I want, but then, that's why I'm here isn't it). We could create a support network where people help each other out and share encouragement and guidance.

What do you think?

If there's anybody here...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey,

I'm also disappointed that this forum is a bit dead! I don't want to moan too much though, people will think I'm very negative cos I've moaned about this before :p

I'm a bit surprised—there are quite a lot of Irish writers active on Twitter, for example, but I guess they aren't interested in posting here, or it doesn't occur to them.

Has there ever been a forum (real life) meetup? Anyone know when the last one was? It might be cool to meet up for coffee or somethin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It's not that I'm not interested, but I have insane ****ing deadlines. Penguin does not believe in a personal life!

But if there's something I can do, I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Many sites go quiet at this time of year and the weather conditions will also oddly enough take a toll. Things will pick up again. They always do if you are patient. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miranda7

Hi Eileen,
    I have seen you here before. Do you write for Penguin? If so what is your name and the names of your novels. It would be nice to read something by a writer on this forum.
    Miranda.

Hi Miranda. Yes, I write as Evie Hunter for Penguin. The most recent book, The Pleasures of Spring is coming out now, but the official launch is in Hodges Figgis on May 13, 6.30pm.

I think "A Touch of Spring" is a free download today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miranda7

Hi Eileen,
    I just looked at Evie's facebook page. I was going to 'Like' every picture but I hadn't signed into Facebook!!!!! I had my debut novel "Who is Alice?" (by Miranda Manning) published by Poolbeg in June last year but things have quieted down a bit now though I have submitted number two. I'ts interesting to meet other people who have been published but who aren't that well known. As an unknown I found it hard to get attention for the book though Poolbeg did get it reviewed a few places which I think had an effect on sales. Things are quiet on this site at present. I think it gets active when there are competitions in the national papers.
    Miranda

What is your Website and Facebook presence like? One thing I discovered is that Evie Hunter fans like half-naked men, so it's an easy way to drive traffic to the page and highlight new books.

Advertisement