Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2016: General Discussion Thread

Options
  • 01-12-2015 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a bit early, but with 2015 being so utterly dull and not even providing a silly season, any news we get from now will be 2016 related.

Please, 2016...be better than 2015...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I've got a feeling its going to be the best season ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

TheDoctor wrote: »

Didnt think they made mind-altering drugs that strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Whatever you're taking, I want lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Ready to quote this just after the last race of 2016 ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

It's not a sport anymore , it's a procession of expensive cars driven by self obsessed ego maniacs governed by an obsecely rich shady old guy. The only interesting thing is the technology and innovation but race weekend is a bore fest unless it rains.
    DRS , fuel conservation, coasting, tyre cliffs, all terms you should never hear when talking about motorsport. F1 in its present guise is crap for spectators.
    GP2 is far better to watch and listen to than F1 at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

Does anyone plan on going to a race next year? Going to Monaco myself but I'm waiting for the calendar to be 100% confirmed does anyone know when this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

collie0708 wrote: »
    Does anyone plan on going to a race next year? Going to Monaco myself but I'm waiting for the calendar to be 100% confirmed does anyone know when this is?

not any more. Was thinking about Aus or Malaysia but going to give it a miss next year, possibly in favour of Bathurst

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

collie0708 wrote: »

Pretty much now.
    http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/12/f1-2016-calendar-confirmed.html

So which ones are likely to drop off - Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Austin, cause they cannot afford it anymore. I think Germany will go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Harika wrote:
    Austin, cause they cannot afford it anymore. I think Germany will go ahead.

Such a shame about Austin. It looks like a good event but the organisers estimated it's value to the state who in turn agreed to subsidise the cost to Bernie. The state has now reevaluated the event and is only willing to pay the reevaluated (lower) sum. So Austin might disappear from the calendar.

Not to worry, I'm sure the Kazakhstan event will be much better than Germany or USA.

Azerbaijan, one of my favorite European countries to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Never too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

McLaren MP4-X Concept:

McLaren-MP4-X-Concept-2015-fotoshowBigImage-51d4c4a5-913900.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Could we see Infiniti Red Bull Racing TAG in 2016?
    https://twitter.com/redbullracing/status/672355995256020992

Autosport article on it here.
    It certainly fits with the "McLaren won't be happy" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

McLaren must be fuming right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

McLaren must be fuming right now.

They haven't had a title sponsor in a while now, so I imagine Honda are pumping in serious cash. Alonso and Button aren't cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

flazio wrote: »

Why is it Sochi instead of Russia and Baku instead of Azerbaijan? All others are countries.

:)

Perhaps the term Russia is a bit controversial these days so they say Sochi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Breaking on Sky Sports News that Renault have agreed to take over Lotus and return to Formula 1 as a constructor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Breaking on Sky Sports News that Renault have agreed to take over Lotus and return to Formula 1 as a constructor.

Confirmed on BBC now too. Ghosn has made statement that they are back in 100%

Did not see that coming

bennyx_o wrote:

Will they supply any engines next year or will lotus continue with Mercedes engine? and do we know if red bull are definately using their own version of the Renault?

If they are willing to completely drop their engine then I imagine they have spend feck all on developing it throughout 2015. Could be a bit of a disaster for red bull next season if they take on an undeveloped version of a pretty weak engine. They do everything else well so I bet they will develop a good engine but it could take a couple of years.

Will they supply any engines next year or will lotus continue with Mercedes engine? and do we know if red bull are definately using their own version of the Renault?

If they are willing to completely drop their engine then I imagine they have spend feck all on developing it throughout 2015. Could be a bit of a disaster for red bull next season if they take on an undeveloped version of a pretty weak engine. They do everything else well so I bet they will develop a good engine but it could take a couple of years.

All we know for now is that Lotus will use Renault engines and become the official works team. Torro Rosso will use 2015 Ferrari engines and Red Bull re-branded Renault engines where some parts are developed by them.

Harika wrote:
    All we know for now is that Lotus will use Renault engines and become the official works team. Torro Rosso will use 2015 Ferrari engines and Red Bull re-branded Renault engines where some parts are developed by them.

Thanks. Do we know if they will race as Renault or stay as lotus. Chances are that if they aren't confident in the performance next year then they will remain Lotus for a year or 2.

The lotus chassis must be a bit rubbish considering they had Mercedes engines and were consistently pretty rubbish (Grosjean's podium aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Myrddin wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit early, but with 2015 being so utterly dull and not even providing a silly season, any news we get from now will be 2016 related.

Please, 2016...be better than 2015...

I fear it is going to be the same. Until the rules are tightened, i.e. that there is no turning down or up of engines from the pit and the race is won due to good driving and not because the team wants a particular driver to win. There is too much money going to Mr E that he is not going to suggest same engines for all cars and no interference from the pit and that the best driver should be allowed to win instead of the current "fixing" that is so blatant. The powers that be must think we are all blind and totally dumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Red Bull has announced it's using TAG branded Renault engines for 2016
    Speaking about the announcement, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said: "TAG Heuer has been an icon in the world of Formula 1 for many years and we're delighted that they've chosen to continue their association with the sport by teaming up with us.

"Our shared values of innovation and a desire to stand out from the crowd make this one of the most exciting partnerships in F1.

"We are also pleased to see Renault confirm its long-term commitment to F1 and would like to thank them for their contribution to the team since 2007.

"Their technical partnership with Ilmor gives us confidence, and we look forward to the 2016 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

What will Red Bull do with all the Casio Edifice watches now :P

They will have to be scrapped and replaced by big blingy TAG Heuer ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Might be time to stock up on Lotus merch before the name disappears over the next year or so

• Advertisement

Interesting side note, Ilmor will be as expected help to improve the Renault engine for Red Bull but also for Renault itself. Marko now already is talking about prolonging the Renault contract if this partnership is working out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement