Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

anybody know where I can purchase a Lyca sim card on the north side or city centre. I need one urgently to phone court in Australia tonight so can't wait for one to be posted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kumar_aq

The local Spar will have them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

jimmay wrote: »
    anybody know where I can purchase a Lyca sim card on the north side or city centre. I need one urgently to phone court in Australia tonight so can't wait for one to be posted out.

Go to Moore Street (Henry Street) . You will find loads of people selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Got my sim card today. Registered online & topped up by €5. Got €5 bonus, bringing my account up to €10.00. Then I called their code number to access the €9 bundled offer. Now have 150 mins calls, unlimited texts and data until end of October. Now thats what I call a Bargain Alert. WOOO-HOOOOOO:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sirwallis

this stinks of staff posts lol imn trying them out cant get 5 euro credit in the shops that must be only online gonna check out the unlimited data because its not advertised with a * or ** so there must be no terms with it. well will let you guys know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Markus Maximus

Im with them this couple of months an the customer service sucks. I've had an issue with sending sms to alot of my contacts when i first got with them i had no problems now this whole issue with sending sms has'nt been resolved as of yet goin on 3 weeks I cant send sms to some contacts where before the same contacts i had no problem sending sms. Anyone else having this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

sirwallis wrote: »
    this stinks of staff posts lol imn trying them out cant get 5 euro credit in the shops that must be only online gonna check out the unlimited data because its not advertised with a * or ** so there must be no terms with it. well will let you guys know
    Only few shops (I presume they are those who have Lyca Vouchers unlike the Payzone wherein you get it from a non-Lyca network) sell the €5 vouchers. It's definitely not available at Payzone outlets where the min is €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

jimmay wrote: »

I hope you forgot to mention the city name. But people generally think of Dublin in that case. However, it's still a confusion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

you can get the mfrom city entre.

Best deal in for me IMHO.

it took me under 30 min to port from 3 to lycamobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Has anybody got any idea if one can use the O2 outgoing mail server(SMTP settings)..... smtp.o2.ie when setting up an e mail account?Lycamobile customer care have advised that they do not have any outgoing mail server but they utilise the O2 network??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Got sim today. Put 10 credit on and got another 10. Took the 9 deal. The data speeds are horrible Rush 9/11/12 0.2mb up and down. Have samsung galaxy note 2. It wouldnt accept the configuration settings had to put it in myself. Had to enable roaming to get it working.
    My phone thinks its roaming all the time with this sim in it.
    I had to take the sim to get it cut to a micro size.
    I'll give it a go for the month see how it goes.
    I'll test data speeds in other areas and report back.
    It's a great deal.

Edit... This sim is bouncing of servers in the UK.... Up side of this is Google play thinks I'm in the UK and works. ... might have to look at nexus 4 next week lol

Edit... speed checked in Sandyford 10/11/12 down 3.59 up 1.17 much better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Tested lycamobile sim near bewleys hotel at m50 airport....down 0.49 up 0.89...

Retested with wireless o2 hotshot...down 6.01 up 1.6...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

There is a cap on the speed alright best I've got all week is 2.3 down .33 up my main phone is with 3 and in most places 3 only beats them on the upload speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ordered a SIM a couple of days ago. Seems like too good an offer to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CommShepard

I have problems with Lycamobile's mobile net.
    I have set up my HTC Desire and all apps can access the internet, but the browsers can't (i tried with the phone's own browser and Dolphin)

I called CS, we checked if the settings are ok, but it seems set up ok.

If I use the O2 sim card, there's no problem, I can access the internet with the browsers.

Any idea what might be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Marzal

summary after 2 months of using lycamobile:

bargain prices
    costumer service sux
    data connection not useful for voip calls/skype etc or watchin youtube/stream music etc because of poor speed (few times tested with speedtest and max i received was 0.4Mb, Dublin area)..enough for web browsing, navigation etc tho..
    calls voice quality is ok, not havin any of those problems posted above..
    international SMS are shorter than regular ones: i think its about 60 characters only.. so if u typing 'normal' length SMS u pay twice...

buyin phone with dual sim so i can use lycamobile for landlines abroad and for streamin gna stay with 3...

overall u get cheap stuff but the quality is better than expected..

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭infocal

really happy with lycamobile for more than 2 months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

stevek93 wrote: »
    Think there mostly aiming more at international calls.

No, lyca to lyca and international, but still good price for landline/mobile calls too.
    Adrian4 wrote: »
    Anyone using these?

The seem great value calling landlines.

Yes, but mostly to call or take calls from another person that has a lyca mobile sim, so its free!

I think its good, especially as a top up of 5 euro is allowed, which is doubled also.
    Havent tried the web access though.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

I've been using Lycamobile for a couple of months now. While I agree that it offers good value I've been experiencing a few problems with their service and wonder if other Boardsies have experienced similar problems.

The service seems to be quite fussy about the format of numbers and seems to require the full international (+353 87... etc.) format to send texts. This means that I can't reply to texts until I edit the sender's number to the full international format. Actually it will appear to send the text but it never gets to the recepient. So I've had to edit my entire address book to put all numbers in full international format.

Texts also seem to get abreviated or not sent at all, with no error message to inform me that the text didn't send properly. A nusiance as everything appears to be in order on my side while irritated recepients are wondering why I've snubbed them or why I'm sending giberish abbreviated texts.

Has anyone else had this problem with Lycamobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Also cannot call 1890 , 1850 0800 etc. etc. & data is slow , very slow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

coolaboola wrote: »
    I've been using Lycamobile for a couple of months now. While I agree that it offers good value I've been experiencing a few problems with their service and wonder if other Boardsies have experienced similar problems.

The service seems to be quite fussy about the format of numbers and seems to require the full international (+353 87... etc.) format to send texts. This means that I can't reply to texts until I edit the sender's number to the full international format. Actually it will appear to send the text but it never gets to the recepient. So I've had to edit my entire address book to put all numbers in full international format.

Texts also seem to get abreviated or not sent at all, with no error message to inform me that the text didn't send properly. A nusiance as everything appears to be in order on my side while irritated recepients are wondering why I've snubbed them or why I'm sending giberish abbreviated texts.

Has anyone else had this problem with Lycamobile?

I've had problems sending texts to a friend on Meteor - was using the full international code, but the messages still weren't received.

Their data service seems to go via the UK, so in theory you could use it to get access to the iPlayer etc, but in practise the speeds are sooooo slow that you can forget about streaming anything. < 100Kb/s anytime I've tested, which is borderline unusable.

I was on TescoMobile before, their data speeds are restricted by O2 but they still much faster than Lyca. As I use wifi most of the time, I'll probably stick with them for a bit, but they shouldn't be advertising "unlimited data" when the service is so sub-standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Can't text emobile which is a pain for me, I've lost count of the times I've been told "it'll be fixed in 24 hours". CS is rubbish, not so much the people you deal with, who do what they can, but what they can do is very limited. Found data to be OK for my needs as I wouldn't be streaming. I suppose overall, the fact you can buy a month's bundle for 5 euro makes it worthwhile, providing you don't text emobile or Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

I was with Lyca for two weeks but had to switch back.

I could never receive phone calls/sms from Vodafone numbers.
    Their customer service kept losing reference numbers and utterly couldn't solve my problems.
    Another issue I found was that it cost landlines around 70c a minute to call me, which is very very high (must be how they can afford to give their customers low rates, by overcharging those who call you).

Overall would not recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

TG860 wrote: »
    I was with Lyca for two weeks but had to switch back.

I could never receive phone calls/sms from Vodafone numbers.
    Their customer service kept losing reference numbers and utterly couldn't solve my problems.
    Another issue I found was that it cost landlines around 70c a minute to call me, which is very very high (must be how they can afford to give their customers low rates, by overcharging those who call you).

Overall would not recommend.

While I'm not disagreeing with what you say, I'm with them for 3 months and I really cannot fault the service. Porting was painless. I use them for call & texts only. As for the landline cost, that comes from your provider, not Lyca.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

TG860 wrote: »

What company charges this for calling Lycamobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

i am having problems also with texts, 1 or 2 numbers on the 3 network are not delivering, also i am sending texts to a number in thailand and they are not delivering even though the delivery reports says it has been delivered,

i rang cs and they said it would be sorted within 24 hours and gave me a ref code but i'm not holding my breath,

if this is the case and they can't sort it out looks like i will be porting back again after only a few days with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

gustafo wrote: »
    i am having problems also with texts, 1 or 2 numbers on the 3 network are not delivering, also i am sending texts to a number in thailand and they are not delivering even though the delivery reports says it has been delivered,

i rang cs and they said it would be sorted within 24 hours and gave me a ref code but i'm not holding my breath,

if this is the case and they can't sort it out looks like i will be porting back again after only a few days with them.

yea i am having this problem as well, Its been happening from the 30th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Interesting to read that others are experiencing the same problem with texts.

I'm still awaiting a resolution from Lycamobile.

Another frustrating aspect of the problem is that it seems to be inconsistent: I can successfully send a text to some recipients sometimes and can't send to the same recipient other times. And either way I won't know until I speak to the recipient as the text appears to be sent perfectly each time. And I'm still having some (longer) texts truncated. Grr!

Has anyone who has had this problem managed to have it resolved?

Any suggestions for other suppliers? I need calls (c. 150 - 200 mins a month would be grand), texts (unlimited would be nice) and data (the more the better (NOM!) but realistically would manage a on a few hundred MB) in a SIM-only package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

just off the phone from cs again now they are saying there tech team checked my sim and i am able to make and receive texts so the problem must be the networks that i am texting so they told me for me to tell the persons to phone there networks and ask them, what an absolute load of bull because i have been able to send texts to some on the 3 network and some cant receive them and this is only happening since i ported to lyca.

i know the cs guy is not to blame but i demanded him to get this looked into more as i said other people are having the same problem so he just took the details and gave me another ref number,

ill give it another day to see what happens and if they can't sort it that's me done with this crowd then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

just off the phone from cs again now they are saying there tech team checked my sim and i am able to make and receive texts so the problem must be the networks that i am texting so they told me for me to tell the persons to phone there networks and ask them, what an absolute load of bull because i have been able to send texts to some on the 3 network and some cant receive them and this is only happening since i ported to lyca.

i know the cs guy is not to blame but i demanded him to get this looked into more as i said other people are having the same problem so he just took the details and gave me another ref number,

ill give it another day to see what happens and if they can't sort it that's me done with this crowd then.

This is a fairly common type of issue after porting to a new network. The problem is that your previous network hasnt updated the central porting database properly after the port and as a result the network routing of the texts is not happening correctly to some networks. The reason some people on 3 could be receiving could be because their port history is different to others causing a different routing experience for the text delivery.

This happens often with ports and the networks have processes to deal with issues like this between their customer care teams. Lyca CS should have spotted this and should contact your previous network on your behalf to have this resolved.

Advertisement