Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco 'Easy Cook Brown Rice'

Options
  • 04-02-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if this is any way better than white rice or is it just a cod?!

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254877454

It says..Part cooked and lightly milled to give non stick grains with a distinctive nutty flavour. Excellent accompaniment to many dishes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Better in what way? Taste, calories, nutrition? Have a look at the nutritional information on the packages for both and do a comparison in the areas that concern you?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Better in what way? Taste, calories, nutrition? Have a look at the nutritional information on the packages for both and do a comparison in the areas that concern you?

It has the same carbs/calories as Basmati white rice.
    It's that I don't know if it's still technically a 'whole grain'.. like would there be more fibre etc in it?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Do a quick comparison on my fitness pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It gives the fibre content on the Tesco link posted.

Did a comparison with Tesco basmati rice and there's 0.1g per 100g as sold between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It takes far longer to cook and not really much different, unless you think you need the fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Might allow you to eat less though. Brown rice tends to be a lot more filling than white rice at least in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Dolbert wrote: »
    It takes far longer to cook and not really much different, unless you think you need the fibre.

Oh. I though it took half the time to cook than regular brown rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

colossus-x wrote: »
    Oh. I though it took half the time to cook than regular brown rice.

One of you is comparing brown rice (either par-boiled or not) to white rice while the packaging is comparing par-boiled brown to regular brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

My opinions on rice (I like rice):

Brown rice has a more interesting flavour and texture, and pairs better with other foods.

Brown basmati is much nicer than regular brown - It's now the only kind of rice I buy.
    It's easy to find in Asian stores and isn't terribly expensive.

Avoid any kind of par-boiled/easy-cook rice. It just doesn't taste as nice and isn't worth saving a few minutes.

Brown rice sticks much less than white rice.

The extra time to cook brown rice is worth it (you don't need to mind it, just do something else and come back in 30 mins).

Rice is best and most easily cooked by absorption.

You can't cook rice properly in a bag.

I'm not a nutritionist and can't speak to health benefits but general opinion seems to be that its got a broader range of nutrients.

Advertisement