Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A series of questions

Options
  • 01-02-2016 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭

From reading the stickies I've come with a series of questions that perhaps in not quite grasping fully

On the whole calories in V calories out thing is this cast iron effective? I've been tracking my food with the last 4 weeks and have had a deficit each week however have not noticed any change on the scales? Now added to this I've been training constantly and have noticed a difference in my arms for example from the regular weight training but no real loss on the scales

So back to the calories in v out are all calories equal or are some better calories to ingest over others?sorry for the long winded post just a tad confused

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

slingerz wrote: »
    From reading the stickies I've come with a series of questions that perhaps in not quite grasping fully

On the whole calories in V calories out thing is this cast iron effective? I've been tracking my food with the last 4 weeks and have had a deficit each week however have not noticed any change on the scales? Now added to this I've been training constantly and have noticed a difference in my arms for example from the regular weight training but no real loss on the scales

So back to the calories in v out are all calories equal or are some better calories to ingest over others?sorry for the long winded post just a tad confused

Depending how advanced you are and what type of training you take part in it is perfectly possible for your weight to stay the same.
    The important bit is your body fat % and muscle mass %. As the BF is decreasing the MM is possibly going up. This is what's called 'noob gains', when a person who are only starting to lift weights are burning fat and building muscle at the same time.
    On your second question, yes, there are better and worse calories.
    The less processed the better is the general rule.
    Some people will tell you different but 100 calories from candy is not as good as 100 calories from fruit.
    100 calories from a McDonald's chicken nuggets is not as good as 100 calories from chicken breast you grilled on coconut oil.

Hope this helps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Some people will tell you different but 100 calories from candy is not as good as 100 calories from fruit.
    100 calories from a McDonald's chicken nuggets is not as good as 100 calories from chicken breast you grilled on coconut oil.

Hope this helps!

in terms of health sure, but in terms of weight loss 100 calories is 100 calories.

it's like saying a kilogram of feathers weighs less than a kilogram of steel, because obviously steel is heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

strelok wrote: »
    in terms of health sure, but in terms of weight loss 100 calories is 100 calories.

it's like saying a kilogram of feathers weighs less than a kilogram of steel, because obviously steel is heavier.

Yes this is what I am referring to. The health aspect sure obviously foods have different nutritional values but in pure calorific terms 100 is 100.

How do you measure body fat % or muscle mass % though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

slingerz wrote: »
    Yes this is what I am referring to. The health aspect sure obviously foods have different nutritional values but in pure calorific terms 100 is 100.

How do you measure body fat % or muscle mass % though?

i think a dexa scan is the best way but even that fails when you get down to a certain range of bodyfat. calipers and the like are pretty prone to human error and not all that good even when used properly.

i think if you want to know for sure you have to pay for a scan, otherwise you just look in the mirror and try to eyeball a range you fit into

-edit

just read your first post again, dont wory about the scales not moving too much. It can happen, and it can last bloody ages. get some dressmakers tape and measure yourself as well as weigh yourself, you'll have another set of metrics to track that might be kinder when the scale is still playing silly buggers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

strelok wrote: »
    i think a dexa scan is the best way but even that fails when you get down to a certain range of bodyfat. calipers and the like are pretty prone to human error and not all that good even when used properly.

i think if you want to know for sure you have to pay for a scan, otherwise you just look in the mirror and try to eyeball a range you fit into

-edit

just read your first post again, dont wory about the scales not moving too much. It can happen, and it can last bloody ages. get some dressmakers tape and measure yourself as well as weigh yourself, you'll have another set of metrics to track that might be kinder when the scale is still playing silly buggers

Yea fair enough I've enjoyed getting back into training and I've been active id say 6 out of 7 days each week but just haven't seen the results on the scales yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

If you've only started weight lifting, you'll have gained 3 to 4 lbs water/glycogen which could be making actual fat loss. This happened me last year. Recently broke arm and had to stop lifting. Most the 4lbs water after a few weeks. Know when I start back lifting I will gain this back again

Advertisement