Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to stop a dog from biting

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    unqualified, inexpert internet poster (as clearly you are, in light of the the advice you've given), and dabbling in a field you know nowt about, then your opinion needs to be taken as just that: an inexpert, off the cuff opinion based on... not very much really.

you said that about me i asked are you qualified to give advice.

DBB's advice was to speak to a professional; your advice was to put the dog down. YOU are not qualified to give this advice- that was the point put to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

you said that about me i asked are you qualified to give advice.

I didn't realise you had to be qualified in anything to suggest someone get professional advice :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Beacuse op has said she is afraid to invite her mates around who have kids so if the dog behaves itself op might think everything is ok then some day the kids will be around and that's when trouble will happen. op you have two choices put it down or get serious help but please do is soon:)

And in their position I would do the same, you cannot take chances where children are involved. However that does not mean that the dog is going to maul the first child it sees. In fairness Ross, you have never met this dog or seen its behavior and you are literally signing it a death sentence despite this and the fact that you are not qualified in the field.

You never answered my question regarding the terrier comment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mod note: Okay folks, I have just deleted a whole pile of off-topic posts (some of my own included, lest it be said).
    I am going to close this thread for now, until OP comes back to answer some questions. This thread lay here nice and quietly for a couple of hours until JustRoss threw in the grenade, and now the thread needs to be closed because it has turned into silliness. Just silliness.
    OP, please PM me when/if you want the thread re-opened, in which case I will re-open it and restart discussion based on more information.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Mod note again: JustRoss banned for trolling.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

Thread re-opened at OP's request.
    Please all, stay on topic: if there are any problems with a particular post from hereon in, report it.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP, what type of biting exactly?
    There's playbiting, like mouthing, where the dog puts his mouth on you but controls it, there's no pressure.
    Is he nipping, trying to get his point across, not breaking the skin, but more pressure.
    Or is he viciously biting, has he broken the skin/left marks? What's his body language like when he's about to do it? Is he snarling, showing his teeth?

Is it the same actions when he's exited as when he's being scolded? Does he think you're playing?
    Daisy78 wrote: »
    Hey all,

New to this forum but would appreciate some advice on this. Our family dog (a terrier of mixed breed) is 3 years old. He is mostly a good natured little dog but from the day we got him we have had issues with him biting. He does it when he gets excited but also if he is aggravated, I.e. if we scold him over a misdimeanor. He has bitten me twice, and most recently our neighbour. We have had to stop friends calling to the house with their young kids because of this.

What was the situation around the neighbour getting bitten? Was the dog exited or was he being scolded? Or was he guarding his territory?
    We love him dearly and it would break our heart to have give him away but its causing us (particularly my dad) a lot of stress worrying about it. Does anybody have any recommendations as to what we can do? Can a dog be trained to stop biting or is it a waste of time and money

You will need to get a decent behaviourist to assess the dog. You've let the behaviour carry on for 3 years, so the dog doesn't think he's doing anything wrong, his reaction is to bite rather than do the behaviour you want him to do because he doesn't know any better. A good behaviourist will be able to teach you how to interact with the dog to get the desired behaviour that you want and to (hopefully) eliminate the biting. If you let posters here know your location they can point you in the direction of somebody who should be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Right. I live in galway. As I mentioned earlier for the most part he is an affectionate little dog and generally interacts well around people. But we have had incidents where he had bitten people (mostly me) and he has drawn blood. Sometimes he does it she is in a playful mood and is excited but sometimes he can growl and you can tell that he is going to bite. We haven't ignored this but I guess we dealt with it in the wrong way and should have saught advice earlier than this. And please can I say that we are trying to seek a solution to this and would never knowingly put visitors or neighbours in harms way. We just want a solution that doesn't involves giving him away or worse having to put him down. He is part of our family.

I'm going to PM you a link to a contact number for Tara Nic Dhiarmada (who works with a rescue group, her contact details are on their site, which I can't link to here :o).
    Tara has trained with the very, very best behaviourists over in the San Francisco SPCA Dog Trainer's Academy, training under such well known names as Jean Donaldson and Janis Bradley (look em up!;)) No punitive training techniques used, which is really important.
    I think Tara lives in Loughrea or thereabouts, but she does home visits for behavioural cases.
    Will PM you now :)

Advertisement