Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

that's exactly why I'll never get a heart rate monitor :)

very health-anxious since I started getting panic attacks several years ago, I won't watch house or similar shows because I don't want to give myself ideas and that kind of information would just send me loopy. had myself convinced that heartburn was cancer a couple of years ago.

I like having it though for two reasons:

It let's me see if I'm undereating for what I'm using up. Not that I'd go and eat 800 calories for the craic, but I might eat a bit more.

second, it's very motivating!!! When I'm in the gym I can see if I'm pushing myself and in a good heart rate.

My heart rate went sky high tonight, but I hope that will improve as I get fitter.

I thought I was fairly fit though...I forgot it's a completely different kind of fitness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

It let's me see if I'm undereating for what I'm using up. Not that I'd go and eat 800 calories for the craic, but I might eat a bit more.
    doctorwhogirl, what kind of HRM do you have? Do you mean it tells you how many calories you've burned? I only had a very basic one that just told me my heart rate.

hollypink wrote: »
    doctorwhogirl, what kind of HRM do you have? Do you mean it tells you how many calories you've burned? I only had a very basic one that just told me my heart rate.

I did have a Target one that was about 30 euro from Argos that did both heart rate and cals. It was ok, but didn't like treadmills!!! So I never knew how I got on while jogging on them!

The one I have now was 70 but is really good. Polar FT4 also Argos. It also tells you your fat burning zone, and when you are in the zone based on your weight and height... my heart rate went WAY above that this eve though!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I did have a Target one that was about 30 euro from Argos that did both heart rate and cals. It was ok, but didn't like treadmills!!! So I never knew how I got on while jogging on them!

The one I have now was 70 but is really good. Polar FT4 also Argos. It also tells you your fat burning zone, and when you are in the zone based on your weight and height... my heart rate went WAY above that this eve though!!! :eek:

Hmm that's cool, I'm tempted to get one, maybe next month when finances have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Hahaha i think a heart rate monitor would explode if I wore it while exercising, I had someone try to get me to go to hospital once in the gym my heart rate was so high :)

I love the idea of counting my calories though, I have zumba for the xbox kinect but I've no idea what cals I'd be burning :)

• Advertisement

I think it can help to push you, so long as you don't get too fixated on it or eat back all the cals you burned! Because it is an estimate! But usually a fairly good one!

Like if I'm in the gym or at a class I can see if I'm pushing myself or being a bit lazy, then I can up my efforts a bit if I want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I rediscovered my slow cooker today! I had a busy day at work so it was awesome to come home to a wholesome meal (and it takes away the temptation to snack first) :)

Yay, down 2.6lb :D delighted with myself :)

Got my exam results this morning and was less delighted, went back to bed with no breakfast, oops.

Looking forward to a new week.

I feel like eating LOTS. Lots and lots and lots today :(

Started last night. I actually had to have a drink of diet coke at like 11pm because if I didn't give myself a sweet taste of something I was going to go right for the leftover christmas cake.

Not the best choice, but better than the cake.

Same now at work. The biscuits are calling to me. I wouldn't mind but I really feel like I haven't lost this week! Thoughts of the gym later are killing me too and I never feel like that!!!

Baaad day!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Get to the gym, churn out a good session and I bet ya feel great after it. It's days like this that make the difference, not when everything is easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

We all have those days, but you can do it! Just think about getting to the end of this day. Tomorrow you'll be grand again :)

Having a crappy day here too, I sliced my finger open on a tin of beans this morning when making my breakfast and spent two hours waiting to see if I needed stitches or a tetanus shot. It's right below the joint so I can't bend my finger which means I can't write, which will make college difficult until it heals :( I'd hoped to do some exercise but I can't exert my hand for a day or so so it doesn't bleed again (which would mean I'd need stitches)

I'm just miserable, and kinda bored :p

Well weekend weigh in shows a loss of 0.5lbs!

I'm happy it's in the right direction and I know that's the correct amount for me to be losing weekly but I can't help but want a big WHOOSH down to goal! This weekend it has just felt like I'm never going to get there again! And it's usually at this stage that it fluctuates randomly or I have a bad few days and I'm back to where I started.

Going to stay strong though. So long as it's going down I need to be happy! And I am happy!

Thing is, when I first got to my goal weight it was different.

Firstly, I lost the last few pounds quite quickly- a pound minimum a week. When I was my current weight I got to goal in three weeks. I know that's not going to happen this time! I decided to pull out my old trackers and see what was different or what I was eating last time. The difference is unbelievable:

Now I eat around the 1500cal mark, still a bit low but I'm full and satisfied. I do 2 days cardio and 3 days weight training with a tiny bit of cardio in the session. My macros are under 40% carbs and 30%fat, 30% protein.

Then, I was eating about 1100-1200 calories a day. My macro ratios were usually around 65-70% carbs and then between 15 and 20% protein and below 15% fat usually. The only exercise I was doing was Couch to 5K and cardio in the gym. So from that info, I can only summise that what I lost was muscle!

I think I'm going about it a better way this time from what I can tell, even though it will be slower. What do ye think?

Hope everyone is having good losses and on track this weekend!

Was down 3lb yesterday morning :) I don't expect a loss like that every week but it's nice as a boost!

weight.png

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Hi there, I hope ye don't mind me joining in, I read through the posts and have a lot in common with many of ye.
    I have recently won a local competition of a free gym membership and 4 weeks personal training with my local gym, including great support, personal training etc, and a meeting with a nutritionist next week.
    I am 40 years young, and 14 stone...
    I am only 5ft 3.5 with a medium frame and I know that if I don't sort out my problem now, as a single Mom my kids won't have me around when they are my age....
    So plzz keep your fingers crossed for me, I love my food and my vino etc.. Am going Cold turkey and aiming for a 10k walk at the end of the month...
    Ye are all so inspirational... I want to change my life for good....And this forum seems filled with people on the same path... :)

Down 0.4lb today. Slightly disappointed it wasn't more but I did binge out at the weekend on chocolate (I know, bad me) but I won't do that again.

I'm happy that I have my meals/eating plans sorted, I know what I should be eating and I'm happy with it. Need to start exercising but I'm in final year and have a disgusting timetable and a slap of work to be doing so time will be limited until I get a proper routine sorted that I can work exercising into. Ill be starting off with cardio (can't afford to join a gym at home and the UCD one won't be any use to me due to aforementioned slap of work) but hopeful when I get sorted with a job after college ill be able to get to the gym and start weight training, when I did it before the weight fell off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

First time poster here but good to see. I am 5'8" and was 100kg last year. At present I have got down to 89 kg. My target is to get to 80kg in the next 4-5 months I think. I play a bit of rugby so dont want to go too far below 80kg if i do keep losing weight. I feel quite healthy overall but need to drop a few pounds off the stomach mainly.

I dont have a particular method. I train a bit with rugby team and also using the gym more in work so thats good. Mainly doing cardio work and some weights to keep ok for the gym. I am going to sign up do do a 5km run soon as think I am able and gives me a goal to train to, maybe a 10km race somewhere later in the year.

Also my gf is on wieght watchers and I dont strictly follow it but from her doing it it has improved my portion control and exactly what I eat. I still have treats and things I like but have more control now.

Crappy crappy day. I had mcdonalds for lunch, I was starving and tired and was like 'feck it'.

Ever since I have felt like crap, I feel ill, lethargic, stodgy (if thats a thing you can feel) and generally meh.

I realised there about ten mins ago that this is how I used to feel all the time! :eek:

Lesson well and truly learned, I enjoyed it while I was eating it (and ive decided not to feel guilty about it either), but never again!

Making soup with BNS, carrots and sweet potato for dinner, its all I can face. It'll be some colour ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

OMG, couldn't read and not comment. Holy mother of god that's amazing!!

You should write a book! I don't know if you realise how rare what you've achieved is?

Seriously, you've exceeded gastric bypass like success in your weightloss.

Does anyone recognise you now?:)

OMG, couldn't read and not comment. Holy mother of god that's amazing!!

You should write a book! I don't know if you realise how rare what you've achieved is?

Seriously, you've exceeded gastric bypass like success in your weightloss.

Does anyone recognise you now?:)

You have made my night! Seriously! I was feeling huuuge and generaly bleurgh!

Now I don't! :D

Thank you so so much!
    I'm 3 years at this weight now so I think people are used to it now! I would actually say more people know me now at this size than at my bigger size, which is nice :)

I also have brown hair as of last week! :o

Might as well update on my week. I've been very on plan this week. Minimal picking and eating well.

Exercise is going well also. Monday was weights, Tuesday football, Wednesday rest and tonight was football. More weights tomorrow and Sunday then.

I would love to get under 10st 4 this week. Haven't been there since I got to goal, my weight has always hovered above it. So it would be a brilliant feeling.

I've a course saturday and they're providing food but I think I'll bring my own in a lunchbox. I know I should take advantage of what they have but I'll see what it is first and then decide. At least I have the option of eating my own healthier stuff if needs be then. It's usually very gloopy concoctions anyway! I'd rather save the calories for my Saturday night chocolate!

• Advertisement

Another 2lb down today :D Happy with that as I've been reintroducing fruit this week, trying to transition from low to moderate carb as it's much more manageable (for me).

weight.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Doc, I just want to add my congratulations to this thread. What a fantastic achievement. Inspirational

I myself am 27 y/o male, who was 21st (5ft 10 in height) in September 2011. Since then I had dropped 2 stone by August 2012.

However, I tore my ACL and MCL knee ligaments at rugby training right at the end of August and I was laid up in bed for a month or so and I've only been working out lightly since November and properly since mid December. Then there was a full on xmas.

Thankfully I only put on 5-7lbs during injury and that is dropping again now that I'm rehabbing more and more.

Hope drop a stone by the end of march and another by June.

I should mention that my numbers don't drop in big chunks as I do a lot of heavy weight sessions. I tend to measure in inches and how loose my clothes get.

Keep it up guys...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Dolbert wrote: »
    Another 2lb down today :D Happy with that as I've been reintroducing fruit this week, trying to transition from low to moderate carb as it's much more manageable (for me).

weight.png

Well done, I did the same myself and I do find the variety makes life so much more liveable long term, even if the weight loss is a little slower.

My personal tip for increasing carbs without gaining would be to stick with 'cellular' carbs, i.e carbs that have their cell walls intact. i.e. fruit, rice, spuds, whole oats. These are digested in a healthier way than carbs that have their cell-walls broken down (so sugar or 'flour' of any kind - even oat)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

My personal tip for increasing carbs without gaining would be to stick with 'cellular' carbs, i.e carbs that have their cell walls intact. i.e. fruit, rice, spuds, whole oats. These are digested in a healthier way than carbs that have their cell-walls broken down (so sugar or 'flour' of any kind - even oat)
    That is a great tip, thanks! I will definitely remember that about flour. I’m one of those rare people that prefers rye bread and brown rice to white varieties. I do enjoy a roast spud cooked in a little oil with lots of lemon and back pepper, though :)

Doctorwhogirl, I remember your Food Diary thread, it was seriously inspirational. Bravo on keeping the weight off too, that’s an even more epic achievement, imo \0/ :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

down 2lb this week. great to see after I cracked during my fast day yesterday and had a bag of haribo jellies and a twister ice cream after my nice healthy 400cal stir fry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I was down 1lb yesterday :) I think I'm back on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

You guys are doing great, congratulations! I've just been losing and regaining the same 2 kg since last November, getting really frustrating at this stage :mad: Hopefully February will be my month to get things back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Glad I found this :)

I am now at a time where I am at my heaviest. I once weighed just over 11 stone and now I am at 14 stone.
    It a started when I started my current job- almost 2 years ago. I was being sent away with expenses and basically eating what I wanted to eat and not thinking about it.i was sent to Italy this year and managed to shed a stone but now I'm back in London and the weight has creeped back :(

I really want to lose weight and get to about 10 stone. The past two weeks I have made meal plans for each day so I don't stray.

Typical breakfast:
    Porridge with skimmed Milk and chopped bananas
    Egg in a cup with brown wheaten bread

Lunch:
    Chicken dim sum
    Sushi
    Soup and half a roll
    Duck wrap
    Panini

Dinners:
    Steak/prawn salad
    Chicken/beef stir fry with lots of veg
    Fish
    Stew
    Fajitas

Exercise:
    Recently joined the gym, I generally spend about 1.5 hours and spread that between x trainer, bike, treadmill and stepper.
    I also might do an hour long class instead.
    I have to be careful with types of exercise as I injured my coccyx before Xmas and its still not right :(

Myself and my oh eat out once a week as a treat.
    I think my downfall is carbs... I love white bread :( I also come home to Dublin twice a month and have a take away :(

Current weight: 14st
    Height: 5 4
    Goal: 10 st 7

Misticles wrote: »
    Glad I found this :)

I am now at a time where I am at my heaviest. I once weighed just over 11 stone and now I am at 14 stone.
    It a started when I started my current job- almost 2 years ago. I was being sent away with expenses and basically eating what I wanted to eat and not thinking about it.i was sent to Italy this year and managed to shed a stone but now I'm back in London and the weight has creeped back :(

I really want to lose weight and get to about 10 stone. The past two weeks I have made meal plans for each day so I don't stray.

Welcome!!!! :D

Great to see new people!
    Your diet looks yum!
    But as lots of people would recommend on here, if you're looking to lose weight it would be an idea to put your food into a database like myfitnesspal or fitday.com to give you an idea of the calories you're consuming. Even if you don't intend calorie counting to lose weight, just make yourself aware. There are sneaky little feckers of calories that can ruin your efforts!

And judging by the :( face I know you know about the whole white bread thing! :P
    It's not that you can't lose weight eating white bread, I have a friend who has lost plenty and never cut her white bread down. I am definitely of the opinion however that if you cut it out/down, weight loss happens more quickly and more steadily! Plus, wholegrain bread is delicious and there are loads of alternatives!

Best of luck and keep checking in!!! :)

• Advertisement

Weekly Weigh In

I weighed in yesterday but I decided to officially weigh today because I do weights on a Friday night and it can make me retain water a bit.

So was down1.5lbs this week!!!!

HURRAH!

3 pounds to go!

Advertisement