Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BSc/Diploma in Information Systems

• 31-05-2012 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

BSc/Diploma in Information Systems - Trinity College Part time

https://www.scss.tcd.ie/undergraduate/information-systems/

I am looking at this course and would like to get some feedback from past students. Is it a business course with some computers or a computer course with some business studies. I am a little unclear of the follow on career path.

Feedback greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Deu

I completed this the course a couple of years ago, I only did the last 3 years having previously completed the 1st year of Business and IT in Trinity.

This course is much more IT orientated, there was very little business besides the soft skills type modules about project management and architecture.

We did have to produce some business plans for a made up product there were financial details in the plan but it was about producing a document rather than a viable business plan.

I did enjoy the course some parts more than others, most of the lecturers where very good but we had issues with one lecturer and the course director wasn't very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 YumYumYum

Thanks Deu,
    I attended the open night there a couple of weeks ago so know the score with the modules and lectures being 6-9 t/w/t but just from someone whos been there and done that;
    - did you attend all the lectures or did you skip some? Obv they're optional but what could you get away with? Are all the notes on the intranet?
    - how many hours outside of the lectures did you need to put in a week?
    - was this more tilted towards the exam periods/business ends or was there consistent project work (single or group?) throughout the semester?
    - was they're a lot of drop outs? Were these just the natural wastage or were justifiably struck by the amount of work involved?
    - are lecturers genuinely more flexible b/c we were working f/t during the day?

Thanks a mill :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Deu

- did you attend all the lectures or did you skip some? Obv they're optional but what could you get away with? Are all the notes on the intranet?

Most of the lecturers will put notes online, you could get away without going to many but I advise against it, if you attend most of the lectures you wouldn't require allot of work outside those hours to do well.

- how many hours outside of the lectures did you need to put in a week?

Not allot of hours in general except when assignments were due and close to the exams. I cant remember numbers but I would be thinking outside assignments and exams about an hour per subject each week. Even then that was only for the lectures you were attending during that semester

- was this more tilted towards the exam periods/business ends or was there consistent project work (single or group?) throughout the semester?

Most of the modules have 20-30% of final mark from assignments, spread over 2 or 3 assignments. The assignments get you most of the way to a pass and the exams are were you get higher marks

- was they're a lot of drop outs? Were these just the natural wastage or were justifiably struck by the amount of work involved?

There is a good bit of work involved but I got a reasonable mark and didn't kill myself. I think personal circumstances play more into this like being married with kids or single makes more of a difference then the amount of work.

I went into second year and lost a couple over the 3 years but it was issues for the people themselves rather than the course itself

- are lecturers genuinely more flexible b/c we were working f/t during the day?

The lecturers do give you allot of lee way because you are studying part-time and a good few have completed part-time study so understand the difference between you and the full-time students

If you have any other questions you can PM.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Hi Guys,
    I don't have any IT experience. Would this course be a waste of time for me?
    Would I be able to get an IT job when I finish it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

lstevo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I don't have any IT experience. Would this course be a waste of time for me?
    Would I be able to get an IT job when I finish it?

Thanks

You would learn everything in the course. Lots of people have done it with zero IT experience to begin with. The programming and other modules start from the basics.

It's an excellent degree that encompasses IT and business so you could definitely work in IT after graduating. I'm about to graduate. Was tough but rewarding :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Im going into year 3 of this course, and while it's challenging, it's not impossible. I've been a software developer for years, so this is just formalising my knowledge. I know that some people were struggling with some of the programming in first year, but it was offset by the fact that a lot of second year is around organisational management, project management, IT planning and forecasting, so it's a well rounded degree.

On top of this, they have introduced streams into 3rd year, where you can go down a CompSci (programming) or Business route. However, your choice here has an effect on the electives available to you in 4th year, so choose carefully.

All in all, so far so good, it is thoroughly rewarding and very practically applicable in my current role.

PS: Congrats grahamor on graduating!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Hopefully starting this in Sept part time. Sent in the application but just waiting on confirmation back from TCD themselves.

Anyone else applied for it this year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Hopefully starting this in Sept part time. Sent in the application but just waiting on confirmation back from TCD themselves.

Anyone else applied for it this year??
    Yep, took just over a month to be accepted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

UDP wrote: »
    Yep, took just over a month to be accepted.

Could be waiting a while so, my application only went in last week :o

When do the fees have to be paid by?

Could be waiting a while so, my application only went in last week :o

When do the fees have to be paid by?

Don't know - have the option to pre-pay them now but dont know when they are due by. I presume around registration which I dont know when that is either.

• Advertisement

UDP wrote: »
    Don't know - have the option to pre-pay them now but dont know when they are due by. I presume around registration which I dont know when that is either.

Ahh ok, if you hear anything can u post up here?

You can pay in 2 installments. Half around start of term and half after xmas i think. Dont forget you are entitled to claim 20% back from the revenue :)

Year 2 of diploma seems to be available through Springboard.I would imagine year 1 is available too - https://www.springboardcourses.ie/Diploma-in-Information-Systems-(Year-2)/Science-Mathematics-and-Computing/Computing/Computer-Science/ViewItem.aspx?ItemTypeID=2&ItemID=1749

Definitely worth checking if you are eligible for this

Thanks for the replies earlier.
    But exactly what types of jobs could i get out of this Degree?
    I would be interested in getting a more techy job.
    Maybe it would be better for me to do a B.Sc in Computing?
    I'm just really unsure and I don't want to be making any wrong choices

lstevo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies earlier.
    But exactly what types of jobs could i get out of this Degree?
    I would be interested in getting a more techy job.
    Maybe it would be better for me to do a B.Sc in Computing?
    I'm just really unsure and I don't want to be making any wrong choices
    There are many different areas in IT to get into e.g. network engineering, software development, web development, databases, system administration, QA.... I think you need to figure out which area you would like to get into as the paths can be different for each. Also most IT degrees I have seen are often software development heavy and don't teach as many skills for the other areas so you would need to gain certifications in those areas too if thats the path you want. For software/web dev it is usually a good idea to get involved in a software project as somewhat of a hobby to gain skills and to have something to show at interviews. Don't expect to get a job in IT with just a degree unless you are aiming for a helpdesk role. You either need to do other things on the side to show and prove your interest/ability to learn or you might manage to get a junior dev role somewhere often with not great pay.

Ok , thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of this course per academic year at the moment?

3rd and 4th year were between €5800-€5900 each. I think the first 2 diploma years are cheaper.

You are entitled to 20% back from the revenue if working. Springboard offers the diploma courses for free if you are unemployed (i'm not sure of all the details regarding this though)

bombs away wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of this course per academic year at the moment?

Diploma Years 1 & 2 - €3500 per year
    Degree Years 3 & 4 - €5800 per year
    Masters Years 5 & 6 - €4000 per year

I just got my offer via email today. Was wondering for a while as I enquired a few times via email and got no reply.

Anyone else on here doing this course this year? Would be nice to get to know a few people in advance of starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭mickmac

I'm starting the course in September too Toxic. Looking forward to a whole bunch of stuff I haven't studied/thought about since my Leaving!

Do any of yis know if the part time students can get lockers for the year anywhere on campus? It'd be handy to be able to keep some stuff in town as opposed to carting college/work/training stuff around the place a few days a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

mickmac wrote: »
    I'm starting the course in September too Toxic. Looking forward to a whole bunch of stuff I haven't studied/thought about since my Leaving!

Do any of yis know if the part time students can get lockers for the year anywhere on campus? It'd be handy to be able to keep some stuff in town as opposed to carting college/work/training stuff around the place a few days a week.

I presume you can yeah. Lockers are available to rent during the 1st week of term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Toby__Larone

They are, but you'll have to queue up very early (at about 6.30 in the morning) to get one that's not miles away. (There is always a massive queue each year) I'd recommend getting one in the Hamilton building as if you're in an IT course most of your lectures will be there and it has 24 hour access.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They are, but you'll have to queue up very early (at about 6.30 in the morning) to get one that's not miles away. (There is always a massive queue each year) I'd recommend getting one in the Hamilton building as if you're in an IT course most of your lectures will be there and it has 24 hour access.

Lloyd Building is fine also.

Looks like I'm going to be away the first week due to work commitments, not a good start :mad:

Will anyone be recording their lectures? If so, can I get a copy of the first week?
    Would someone be also able to get me a copy of any handouts too please?

Big ask I know, but can pay in pints.. :D

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Looks like I'm going to be away the first week due to work commitments, not a good start :mad:

Will anyone be recording their lectures? If so, can I get a copy of the first week?
    Would someone be also able to get me a copy of any handouts too please?

Big ask I know, but can pay in pints.. :D

Tox

All your lecture notes/handouts will be put up online on blackboard, most lecturers on this course put them up before each lecture last year, although they might be a bit slow the first week or two. I'm starting second year in this next week if you have any questions about first year.

bodun wrote: »
    All your lecture notes/handouts will be put up online on blackboard, most lecturers on this course put them up before each lecture last year, although they might be a bit slow the first week or two. I'm starting second year in this next week if you have any questions about first year.

Good to know.. thanks for the info.

How did you find it the first year? Any hints and tips you can give us newbies?? :P

Good to know.. thanks for the info.

How did you find it the first year? Any hints and tips you can give us newbies?? :P

I didn't find it too hard. I hadn't been to college in about 15 years so it was all fairly new to me again.

Information Systems: This is a handy module, its just a general outline of IT, the different technologies involved and the IT impact on busines and society. Last year we had to do two small essay type assessments as part of this, that came to 40% of your mark.

Internet Systems: This is the web design module, lots of waffle in this, had to do two connected projects for this, design a prototype website for a mobile device. You will know very little about web design after this course! These two added up to, I think, 50%.

Organisation and Management: An introduction to management and all that. Had to do a group presentation in this one on one aspect of management for 25%.

Information Systems Development: This is your programming course, we learned VB in this. I had little or no programming experience and was still able to pass this well, Go to the labs in this if you're not a programmer, you will learn enough to get by. Had two projects in this, both about designing a bit of software in VB. I think these two came to 60%.

Business Methods: This is split into two different parts, one in just Maths (around leaving cert level) the other is Microsoft Excel and general business stuff, a bit waffly to be honest. Don't be afraid of the Maths, it might seem a bit daunting at the start but the lecturer is very good and does lots of examples in his notes. Had to do some maths questions for him (which was 10% of your mark) an excel project(25%) and a group project on business(25%).

Information Systems Practice: I think we all agreed last year that this was a pile of ****e. A bit about databases and and more VB but web based. Got two projects with this which were handy enough but very time consuming especially as they came towards the end of the year. We didn't have a final exam in this, you passed or failed on those projects.

Basically if you do well in your projects/continuous assessments you will have little to worry about. They say they will try an stagger these but invariably you will end up with 2 or 3 on the go at the same time.

Any more questions, just ask!

Do they do exams after Xmas and again at the end of the year? Or is it just end of year exams? If so, how many exams?

• Advertisement

Do they do exams after Xmas and again at the end of the year? Or is it just end of year exams? If so, how many exams?

We had 5 and all at the end of the year.

Advertisement