Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tour de france 2012 MOD WARNING POST 99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

lennymc wrote: »
    Dan martin in the garmin barracuda squad.

Interesting to see Hesjedal in there - and as team leader. If Hesjedal is challenging in the GC DM will be the sacrificial lamb as super domestique.

If Hesjedal is suffering might allow DM a pass to attack on one of the alps or Pyrenees stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

what about the 2 TT though?

They're both good time trialists. Not as good as Wiggins, but imo, they're better climbers and descenders than Wiggins

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Interesting to see Hesjedal in there - and as team leader. If Hesjedal is challenging in the GC DM will be the sacrificial lamb as super domestique.

If Hesjedal is suffering might allow DM a pass to attack on one of the alps or Pyrenees stage.

Van de Velde and Danielson if they hit form are capable of top 10s though

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

I think Dan Martin has a real chance to do a Froome ala Vuelta for Garmin. He has shown this season and late last that aside from climbing he can easily stay with the pace of the race in the flats and lumpy stages. His TT has improved so he will minimise losses. I agree if he can create some space for himself and Hesjedal doesn't perform you could see Garmin changing tact and giving him the support to go for GC.

Thrilled that DM has got the nod. It will make for a very interesting TdF from an Irish perspective.

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2012/06/21/press-release-2012-tour-de-france-roster

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

riparooo wrote: »

I think Dan Martin has a real chance to do a Froome ala Vuelta for Garmin. He has shown this season and late last that aside from climbing he can easily stay with the pace of the race in the flats and lumpy stages. His TT has improved so he will minimise losses. I agree if he can create some space for himself and Hesjedal doesn't perform you could see Garmin changing tact and giving him the support to go for GC.

Thrilled that DM has got the nod. It will make for a very interesting TdF from an Irish perspective.

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2012/06/21/press-release-2012-tour-de-france-roster

DM did very well in veulta, but think he will lose alot on the TT. 100km of TT will suit Evans and wiggins, but wiggins has not done it in a 3 week tour and has done a lot of racing already this year. Frome and van den Brock could win if top 2 falter..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Blackrockcomet

Great to see Dan Martin in the tour.
    Although hesjedal may not have the legs to be team leader, Martin is highly unlikely to take over as you'd expect Danielson and Van De Velde to be ahead of him on time trials and he'll be working for them everywhere else.
    I think he should relax on the TT losing as much time as possible, do his work for the lads and hopefully he'll get a chance to go for a stage win in the mountains when one of them cracks.
    Either way, as long as he comes out of the tour in good form for the Vuelta, I will be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Lads, Martin has already said he'll be looking for stage wins and the King of the Mountains jersey. Expect him to 'intentionally' lose a packet of time in the first week so he'll be allowed into the breaks to try for points on the big mountain stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

Great to see Martin picked.

Nico will be there as "joint" team leader with JC Peraud according to his article in the Irish Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Blackrockcomet

Obviously Peraud will start as top dog. His form has been poor though and Roche is going alright at the moment so he could well take over.
    That said, being team leader at AG2R is like being the Managing Director of a one person company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

happytramp wrote: »
    Lads, Martin has already said he'll be looking for stage wins and the King of the Mountains jersey. Expect him to 'intentionally' lose a packet of time in the first week so he'll be allowed into the breaks to try for points on the big mountain stages.

Yes he will probably concentrate on KOM jersey. In the first week there are 2 steep uphill finishes.
    Day 1 a 2km uphill sprint.
    Day 7 a 6km finish averaging 8.5%

While there are fewer uphill finishes this year there are many stages with lots of climbing.
    Stage 8 has 7 climbs between 4 & 7 km with gradients mostly in the 6-9% range.
    Anyone who wants to make KoM points needs to be driving the break that day.

I think Evans and Wiggo will fight it out. But don't rule out Sanchez. Strong climber and strong descender. This year both will be important.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Chuffed to see 2 Irish starters. A few days in the KOM jersey for DM and a stage 'with top 10 for Nico and that'll do me.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Is Froome a good outside bet for the tour - if wiggins crashes or cracks on a particular day then I guess whoever is best on GC will take over the team leadership, his time trialling isn't bad either, worth a sneaky little tenner on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

donfers wrote: »
    Is Froome a good outside bet for the tour - if wiggins crashes or cracks on a particular day then I guess whoever is best on GC will take over the team leadership, his time trialling isn't bad either, worth a sneaky little tenner on him?

I have a tenner on Froome and Sanchez to win and a each way bet on Dan Martin for a podium place.

The odds on all I got at between 66/1 and 250/1.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Yes he will probably concentrate on KOM jersey. In the first week there are 2 steep uphill finishes.
    Day 1 a 2km uphill sprint.
    Day 7 a 6km finish averaging 8.5%

While there are fewer uphill finishes this year there are many stages with lots of climbing.
    Stage 8 has 7 climbs between 4 & 7 km with gradients mostly in the 6-9% range.
    Anyone who wants to make KoM points needs to be driving the break that day.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. There's some good climbers going to battle this out. Martin, Hoogerland, Vanendert, Moncoutie amongst others. There's double points for the MTF's so it's a big incentive to go for the stage win. Should be very exciting.

I wonder if we'll see any of these guys go for it on day one or will they play it cool and wait for the second week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

stevieob wrote: »

cheers. I popped up to Easons last night to take a look at the guides they were selling. They had 2 - the one in the yellow cardboard box, and the Cycling Plus one. Both had the exact same 'Official Programme' in it so the decision about which one to get was dependent on what else came with it. Both were the exact same price.

I went for the Cycling Plus one, because I'd prefer a magazine to a DVD and a book of pictures (both had a detailed map). The magazine doesn't look great, but I hadn't seen it before so opted for it more out of curiousity.

Seems the programme has all the information one would need (though a bit pricey - the French version is a fiver on the letour website).

elduggo wrote: »
    Seems the programme has all the information one would need (though a bit pricey - the French version is a fiver on the letour website).

Well it seems it was good enough for Wiggin's

"Funnily enough, my son wanted a magazine on the flight over here and he decided to buy the official Tour Guide so I had a look at some of the stages in there. It was the first time that I’d seen them all back-to-back."

From his last interview with cyclingnews.com

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Anyone interested in playing fantasy cycling for the Tour? The Giro was good craic and it adds a bit of excitement when watching the stages anyway.

Would be a bit of fun if someone set up a boards league too

http://velogames.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

flying11 wrote: »
    Would be a bit of fun if someone set up a boards league too

http://velogames.com/

League Name: boards.ie TdF
    League Code: 22110408

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

happytramp wrote: »
    Well it seems it was good enough for Wiggin's

"Funnily enough, my son wanted a magazine on the flight over here and he decided to buy the official Tour Guide so I had a look at some of the stages in there. It was the first time that I’d seen them all back-to-back."

From his last interview with cyclingnews.com

I read that interview on cyclingnews and was a bit surprised by that.

In comparison, Stephen Roche says on that podcast interview on The Bike Show, that someone posted about here a few days ago, that he studied the course guide in a lot of detail to plan where and when he attacked.

Also, there is an article in Procycling this month about Sky's bid for yellow and green - they interview a number of people associated with the last team to do that successfully, Telekom with Zabel and Ullrich and Zabel and Riis - Udo Bolts advises Wiggins to "look really closely at the road book in the last week and have a plan for where you are going to use your men".

I guess there is more ham one way to approach it, and maybe Wiggins is overstating his nonchalance anyway. interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

cheers. I popped up to Easons last night to take a look at the guides they were selling. They had 2 - the one in the yellow cardboard box, and the Cycling Plus one....

Which Easons was this? Liffey Valley branch are sold out of the boxed one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

In comparison, Stephen Roche says on that podcast interview on The Bike Show, that someone posted about here a few days ago, that he studied the course guide in a lot of detail to plan where and when he attacked.

Also, there is an article in Procycling this month about Sky's bid for yellow and green - they interview a number of people associated with the last team to do that successfully, Telekom with Zabel and Ullrich and Zabel and Riis - Udo Bolts advises Wiggins to "look really closely at the road book in the last week and have a plan for where you are going to use your men".

I guess there is more ham one way to approach it, and maybe Wiggins is overstating his nonchalance anyway. interesting though.

meh, wiggins has people to do that for him

maybe theres a reason so many riders seem to be 'followers' these days

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

buffalo wrote: »
    League Name: boards.ie TdF
    League Code: 22110408

Team Backseatsmen have joined. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

jimm wrote: »
    Which Easons was this? Liffey Valley branch are sold out of the boxed one.

the square tallaght. They had 1 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Crippens1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

the square tallaght. They had 1 left.

Well now they've none left, as I picked up the last one this afternoon. :)

Thanks elduggo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Crippens1 wrote: »
    Surprise surprise. My prediction from 11 months ago comes true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Were S Roche and Telekom boys not before race radio. Nowadays some guy in team car tells you all or its programmed into your garmin;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭WilcoYHF

Lads, I'm not too sharp on who has a chance in the TdF as my interest in it has only started in the last few yrs but has Peter Sagan not got a chance of a top 10? His odds are very high.

• Advertisement

WilcoYHF wrote: »
    Lads, I'm not too sharp on who has a chance in the TdF as my interest in it has only started in the last few yrs but has Peter Sagan not got a chance of a top 10? His odds are very high.

I'd think he'll lose too much time in the high mountains. He could win a couple of stages though.

Advertisement