Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

eviltwin wrote: »
    Just back from walking my dog and noticed a red hyundai accent with two white males 20's driving around Parslickstown, very slowly as if they were looking for someone or something, I asked them if they were lost and they sped of fairly sharpish. Could be nothing, could be something, have never seen them before but keep a heads up. I have the the full reg, its a 99 D car.

Same Area Thismorning, 2 guys in a louth reg silver kangoo tried to break into a house but were chased off after they got in the front door. Gardai called reg given. But keep an eye out. They have been seen before in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Heard a second hand report this morning of a number of catalytic converters being robbed off a few trucks and vans overnight around Clonee. Keep an eye on your commercial vehicles folks.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Heard a second hand report this morning of a number of catalytic converters being robbed off a few trucks and vans overnight around Clonee. Keep an eye on your commercial vehicles folks.

I heard about this too. They get about €50 per one that they steel. They are mainly looking for ones from trucks and jeeps .

Probably getting ten times that on donedeal for them. B*******.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

I heard about this too. They get about €50 per one that they steel. They are mainly looking for ones from trucks and jeeps .

If someone is surprised - read about what is catalytic converter made of - precious metals like platinum, palladium and rhodium + aluminium, nickel and copper.
    some models can be sold to scrapyards for up to 250 euro.
    I do not say that people from some particular countries found easy way for few bob here in Ireland, but it is a fact that this is a serious issue in Poland for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

Woken up by Garda helicopter last night at 4.20am, looked out the window and the guards are searching around our street and our neighbours back garden (Delwood). No idea what was going on, Anyone else hear anything?

We don't think our neighbour called them because I heard one of them apologise for waking her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I heard it but over the other side of D15, I just assumed it was something to do with the traveller carry on around Cappagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭horse7

Looks like 20 squad cars and a chopper at the <SNIP> travellers </SNIP> camp in dunsink,shots were fired,there is some news in the in do,that was at 7.30am.

My house was attempted last week, caught the guy red handed he got a bit threatening with me. But left my garden after a screaming match. He then got into his car which was parked down the road with the wife and kids.

I called the police who wanted all the information of what happened i gave description and held till last a photo of the car with a clear license plate. It was then they said there is nothing they could do. I didn't receive any follow up. So i am now taking my findings to the Garda ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

That is disgraceful. Caught the burglar red handed, provided the Garda with strong evidence of identity and they can't or won't do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Wait, so they were willing to investigate until they found out who it was(presumably known to them), then decided they would not take action against that particular person?

My house was attempted last week, caught the guy red handed he got a bit threatening with me. But left my garden after a screaming match. He then got into his car which was parked down the road with the wife and kids.

I called the police who wanted all the information of what happened i gave description and held till last a photo of the car with a clear license plate. It was then they said there is nothing they could do. I didn't receive any follow up. So i am now taking my findings to the Garda ombudsman.

Funny that, I bet if you had beat the living p155 out of him they would have done something then.

I don't advocate that particularly, but in this Country, its what i would be doing and take my chances with a jury.

Wait, so they were willing to investigate until they found out who it was(presumably known to them), then decided they would not take action against that particular person?

Well its not the first time for me, my estate is actually being targeted. My neighbor behind me was robbed the week prior and me next door neighbor was robbed the week before. Without giving too much away were we are based, we live in a small very nice estate, in the last 12 months we have had about 30 incidents with house break ins or attempts. I was actually on Joe Duffy about it and was also featured in the newspaper.

Since going to the media we have found other similar estates are being targeted in Dublin 15.

The day in question we had somebody sitting outside the house at about 9 am and they drove off, so i new to expect something. So at 11am they arrived back parking away from the house. The guy in question came up to the front door and was checking the lock of the front door. He then started with some tool in the door itself. It was then i took action as i didnt want a broken door as i cant afford a new one. So no damage was done. But here is the thing, its the 6th time in a year and a half that somebody has tried to break in. I have actually been lucky in that i have thwarted every attempt. But i have had my front door smashed in, windows gouged open with little or no support from the garda. I am not anti-garda but i am anti Dublin 15 Garda.

Sorry i never answered your question properly. This all happened in the same conversation when they arrived to my house. They wanted a description wanted all the details, so i gave them all that and they said they would investigate, just as they were leaving i took out my nice camera and said oh and have their license plate number in a nice HD photo, thats when they said , oh we will take that but they cant do anything. Even if they did do something and convict the guy they would probably be released striaght away with a slap on the wrist, life is terrible, they dont have enough guards they have to go to 2 more break ins now a yadda yadda yadda. Case Closed

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Indiscussa

Which estate and area are you talking about?
    Thanks
    Well its not the first time for me, my estate is actually being targeted. My neighbor behind me was robbed the week prior and me next door neighbor was robbed the week before. Without giving too much away were we are based, we live in a small very nice estate, in the last 12 months we have had about 30 incidents with house break ins or attempts. I was actually on Joe Duffy about it and was also featured in the newspaper.

Since going to the media we have found other similar estates are being targeted in Dublin 15.

The day in question we had somebody sitting outside the house at about 9 am and they drove off, so i new to expect something. So at 11am they arrived back parking away from the house. The guy in question came up to the front door and was checking the lock of the front door. He then started with some tool in the door itself. It was then i took action as i didnt want a broken door as i cant afford a new one. So no damage was done. But here is the thing, its the 6th time in a year and a half that somebody has tried to break in. I have actually been lucky in that i have thwarted every attempt. But i have had my front door smashed in, windows gouged open with little or no support from the garda. I am not anti-garda but i am anti Dublin 15 Garda.

Indiscussa wrote: »
    Which estate and area are you talking about?
    Thanks

As i mentioned above i am not going to name the estate, first of all for security reasons and second of all should i try and sell, it could effect the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As i mentioned above i am not going to name the estate, first of all for security reasons and second of all should i try and sell, it could effect the price.

Remember that other case you posted about a while back about the burglars being in the house but the Gardai refused to do anything? What ever happened with the complaint about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Indiscussa

Sorry i may not have read the post properly.. Just asked bcause i have recently bought a house in d15... And i dont want to regret it!

Remember that other case you posted about a while back about the burglars being in the house but the Gardai refused to do anything? What ever happened with the complaint about that?

Nothing, we have a long list of cases with no outcome/follow up. Thats were the problem lies and people are feeling helpless. We trying politicians at the moment, who initially want to help but then we hit a dead end with them also.

• Advertisement

Indiscussa wrote: »
    Sorry i may not have read the post properly.. Just asked bcause i have recently bought a house in d15... And i dont want to regret it!

Don't worry at all, people are buying houses all over the City and having them broken into and regretting it.

Burglaries are actually on a downward trend in D15, albeit from a bit of a spike a few years ago.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Don't worry at all, people are buying houses all over the City and having them broken into and regretting it.

Burglaries are actually on a downward trend in D15, albeit from a bit of a spike a few years ago.

+1 that its a great place to live, there are houses in my estate that have never been touched and others that that have more then once.

But Burglaries are on a rise especially in the D15 area and its getting worse. I have spoken with other estates not just in D15 but in neighboring D7.
    D7 are getting a handle on it and arrests are being made funny enough the arrested parties were from Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭horse7

some action in castleknock last night,2am, the police chopper was searching who someone who abandoned a car,after a police chase which led them down a cul de sac,the car is possibly a passat,which had 01D ON its plate,was lifted by truck,and the police searched the gardens at the scene,all over before 3am,well done gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Anyone know of a good locksmith?

Need to change the lock as I've told it's ****e and can be picked in under 30 seconds (I'd say it's the same for every other house in the estate too)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Caliden wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good locksmith?

Need to change the lock as I've told it's ****e and can be picked in under 30 seconds (I'd say it's the same for every other house in the estate too)
    No need for a locksmith, it's less than a minutes job, see here for video instructions. You can buy them here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭daymobrew

fletch wrote: »
    No need for a locksmith, it's less than a minutes job, see here for video instructions. You can buy them here
    I bought those locks and got a shed padlock, all using the same key. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭septictank

Done the same my self about a year ago front and back doors + extra keys (9 in total) €100, well worth it, any crook worth his salt only has to look at the profile of the lock and they will know it's an ABS and will feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

septictank wrote: »
    Done the same my self about a year ago front and back doors + extra keys (9 in total) €100, well worth it, any crook worth his salt only has to look at the profile of the lock and they will know it's an ABS and will feck off.

Very good to hear. Will order one of these when I get home and figure out which one I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭septictank

Caliden wrote: »
    Very good to hear. Will order one of these when I get home and figure out which one I need.

Just put your key in your lock get a philips screwdriver open the door so you can see both handles and between them there is a screw, undo the long screw and turn your key a little to the left and your lock will come out, measure it from the centre of the hole.

• Advertisement

For me the lock didnt make a difference, they simply stuck a screw driver in and splintered the latch from the wood on the wall which allowed door to just pop open. took 5 seconds.

Advertisement